1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Funding for Gun Club

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sprinklerman, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have been trying to revive our small time gun club. The club has exsisted for 50 plus years, but for the last 10-15 years has been almost inactive. Although the rifle range has been maintained and used by a few remaining members. The club house and trap ranges are need of repairs and up dates. I have been elected president and I am looking for ways to raise money for new traps and windows and siding for the club house. Are there grants available? Have any of you had similar experinces trying to turn a club around? We are located in North Central Nebraska.Thanks Mark Mauch ( Sandhills Rod&Gun Club)

2. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Talk to any local DU, PH, Turkey Fed committee members to see if they would help organize a fund raising banquet for a local project. They may also have funds to distribute. With the gun club being the project, and potential new people as members. Several of the gun companies offer special pricing on their products if used for a non profit fund raiser. A general public raffle or banquet raffle, game, or auction. Even a game feed will draw people, but a nice dinner and program will draw the general public. Do both. Our local conservation group "High Lakes Outdoor Alliance" (former DU and PH guys) even get $1000.00 a year from a local Walmart store. Cabelas has a history of offering gift certificate at a discount to local projects. We sell annual sponsorships to sporting manufactures, local business and we make a 6' banner for each to hang at all of our events. The ideas are endless. BUT, don't look for a grant or private donor without organization.

Most grants applied for are based on a cost share. Expect a 50-50, sometime better share. Don't forget to include your Department of Natural Resources, most midwest state have a shooting director employed. For projects like siding, picnic tables or windows contact a boy scout group looking for Eagle scout merit projects to work on. They will offer no funding, just labor.

I've enjoyed being on government level conservation groups and past/present committe member of private conservation groups. You will need your own money first, and a committed group of people to move forward with public projects. Ask everyone, including local city and county level government to get involved both financially and with organization. Your NE State Trapshooting Assn. is either setting on some money or once done with the homegrounds renovation will have money available. NE is bless with the best high school shooting program in the country. There are lots of dedicated voluneers in that group.

Good Luck; Maltzie

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Regardless of the club's condition - assuming you're not on the verge of condemnation and the traps are running, I would hold an "open house" to recruit some "pioneer" members. Clean up the place as best you can, but don't hide what needs to be done.

Getting folks in the door will bring in resources - figure out how to market memberships to folks who might buy a membership by "purchasing a window", a couple "squares of siding" as well as a partial purchase of a new trap.

You'd be amazed at what might turn on a potential member...

My $0.02,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.