1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fundamentals of swing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Was interested in the key fundamentals of swing.

Had posted the following on another site:

What do you consider the fundamental principles of a good swing?

Obviously things like "smooth", continual acceleration, come to mind.

Do you start with a stiff torso (vs relaxed waist and chest) and drive from the legs only? Or do you use the chest and waist?

I understand no arm motion is needed.

other thoughts?

It seems that better shotgunning comes from a more relaxed body that can move easier, starting from the legs and allowing the waist and chest to move as well thereby preventing a stoppage of swing when the legs run out of room.

kind of like our jack russell who has a shake that startes in her nose and progresses all the way down her body and exits the left rear foot .

2. IdahoRanchLady

IdahoRanchLady TS Member

Would sure appreciate if someone would elaborate more on this subject. Ok, new shooter and having issues with angle shots, just due to this potentially.

If can hit clays quick, super get hits. If hesitate a bit, then obviously they go father and it's toughter to get ahead of the clay and keep following through.

Hey, any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dawn

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Becoming one with the gun in the upper body makes for more consistent scores. Getting a good look at the target out of the house and keeping the eyes glued to the targets leading edge is really important. Keeping the gun barrel from interfering with the dominate eye process till the last instant during the chase helps a lot too. From the shoulders up, only the eyes move independently in the attack and acquisition of the necessary lead to break the clay.

I also believe people would cross-fire less by keeping a clear view of the target till that last nano second when the bird/bead relationship develops to pull or release the trigger. It's easier for the eyes job to attack a clay from behind and underneath it too. Attempting to follow the targets path may lead to more cross-firing because of the barrels interference with our dominate eye? My theory only!

Those are my fundamentals and it's tough to accomplish on each and every target.

Hap

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have been taught for as long as I can remember, the swing starts with the hips.

conversly, at points of struggle, I have found my knees locked which locked my hips!

When my body is working right, there are times that after the swing I think "I felt my knees bend, I wouldn't have thought that those bends would allow that motion!"

So I start with foot placement, setting them so from my feet to my waist bends and twists feel easy and and natural. Also setting my feet so that the hardest angle is well with in mormal range of motion.

For me heals 3 to 5 inches apart, with my feet at about a 45 degree angle feels and works best. Knowing the direction that my swing needs to flow to from each post, I set my feet accordingly, check for easy of motion from feet to waist then look at the trap and field, now most times I don't need to mount my gun to know that I have set up break the birds.

I had worked out why my swing was rough and jerky and already made the adjustment above, when I found the book 'Score better at Trap' By Fred Missildine (some one on TS.com was selling a copy not to long ago) and his notes on the foot position, foot position(s)per post, that worked best for him, matched what I was already doing. With that in hand I went forth with confidince and broke a lot of birds!

This is my way of shooting, and I outside of being well over 6 foot tall, with what has been called the prototipicle trap shooters build, have at times had great success!

Al Lingham

5. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Dawn, you may have several issues going on. Call Kiner and talk to him. Tell him I said he had to.lol Just kidding as Iam sure he would be more than happy to talk with you on the subject. I would tell you what I think from just your post above but unlike some, I know nuthen...

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Hap...well said

Smok'n Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.