1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fun and Games Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powderburn, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey Rev,
    Well said. It's two different worlds completely. I really respect the guy who is:
    1. a dedicated registered shooter, but,
    2. will join the boys in shooting games and not worry about it "affecting his timing"

It's ok I think, to shoot both. I know different guys will have their preferences, but shooting games is fun, teaches you how to handle that bird when it's on the way down, or "staying with it" when it catches a gust of wind after his buddy misses it in a protection...

I've begin to see that the ATA doesn't really care about the guy who can't afford a Perazzi or K80 or Ljutic. I began seeing that back when I quit shooting reg. targets. Not to mention the horrible expense. The guys around that are shooting that old Wingmaster field gun, or Mossberg 500 or whatever, on game nights and practice nights are the ones who are keeping the average gun club alive. Just my opinion...
    -powderburn

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too gave up registered for games and have never looked back. I enjoyed registered ATA and PITA shooting but I enjoy the games and people who attend them a lot more that I did the other.

3. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Friday nights used to be the time of game enjoyment for us. Both the games and registered have dried up in the last couple of years, as well as the night shoots at any club around. I and others have tried to get one of the bigger clubs we go to (Boscos),to save a night every other month for turning on the lights and having some sort of fun and game shoot. I hope it happens for this next year. The time has come(or it seems in my neck of the woods)that the sport itself is almost gone. The youth shooters are getting fewer, my fathers generation are dying off, and my generation is looking for jobs. I dont know what it is going to take for a surge in trapshooting, other than just plain ole money. But I do know that without participation, it will never come back. Some of the most enjoyable times I have had have been on friday and saturday nights. I still enjoy the regestered targets too, but it seems to me that a full-blooded trapshooter knows that his or her roots were grounded in annie oakley and buddy shoots. And some of the shoot-offs were stuff that made legends in the county. I am hoping for it to come back to where it left off just a few years ago..... But who knows.............Good Luck

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

JasonH, your right in that alot of us have cut our teeth on games shooting. When growing up we had a multitude of clubs in my area that shot every Sunday afternoon. Two alternated Sundays so they were always a choice. There were a dozen or more within a 40 mile drive. We shot a few prtections and alot of 3 bird shoots. The 3 birders were reasonable, considerably so by todays standards costing $1 with 6 guys in and payback was $2 for 1st and $1 for second. THen the shooters around here started getting more into 25 round practices and 50 bird league and practice. It got to the point where if we scheduled similar format as described, we'd be lucky to get enough to shoot...

A old friend and player of these games is giving a run at it again at our local club and hopefully we can again play the game.

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey Rev,
    Well said. It's two different worlds completely. I really respect the guy who is:
    1. a dedicated registered shooter, but,
    2. will join the boys in shooting games and not worry about it "affecting his timing"

It's ok I think, to shoot both. I know different guys will have their preferences, but shooting games is fun, teaches you how to handle that bird when it's on the way down, or "staying with it" when it catches a gust of wind after his buddy misses it in a protection...

I've begin to see that the ATA doesn't really care about the guy who can't afford a Perazzi or K80 or Ljutic. I began seeing that back when I quit shooting reg. targets. Not to mention the horrible expense. The guys around that are shooting that old Wingmaster field gun, or Mossberg 500 or whatever, on game nights and practice nights are the ones who are keeping the average gun club alive. Just my opinion...
    -powderburn

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too gave up registered for games and have never looked back. I enjoyed registered ATA and PITA shooting but I enjoy the games and people who attend them a lot more that I did the other.

7. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Friday nights used to be the time of game enjoyment for us. Both the games and registered have dried up in the last couple of years, as well as the night shoots at any club around. I and others have tried to get one of the bigger clubs we go to (Boscos),to save a night every other month for turning on the lights and having some sort of fun and game shoot. I hope it happens for this next year. The time has come(or it seems in my neck of the woods)that the sport itself is almost gone. The youth shooters are getting fewer, my fathers generation are dying off, and my generation is looking for jobs. I dont know what it is going to take for a surge in trapshooting, other than just plain ole money. But I do know that without participation, it will never come back. Some of the most enjoyable times I have had have been on friday and saturday nights. I still enjoy the regestered targets too, but it seems to me that a full-blooded trapshooter knows that his or her roots were grounded in annie oakley and buddy shoots. And some of the shoot-offs were stuff that made legends in the county. I am hoping for it to come back to where it left off just a few years ago..... But who knows.............Good Luck

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

JasonH, your right in that alot of us have cut our teeth on games shooting. When growing up we had a multitude of clubs in my area that shot every Sunday afternoon. Two alternated Sundays so they were always a choice. There were a dozen or more within a 40 mile drive. We shot a few prtections and alot of 3 bird shoots. The 3 birders were reasonable, considerably so by todays standards costing $1 with 6 guys in and payback was $2 for 1st and $1 for second. THen the shooters around here started getting more into 25 round practices and 50 bird league and practice. It got to the point where if we scheduled similar format as described, we'd be lucky to get enough to shoot...

A old friend and player of these games is giving a run at it again at our local club and hopefully we can again play the game.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In my part of the country (Delaware) there are no clubs that have "Games Shooting". Just the regular 50 bird leagues and meat shoots.

As a director of the Delaware Trapshooting Assoc., I have implemented a "Game Day" at our local club. We'll put on 4 to 5 different games which should appeal to all skill levels, not just the diehard registered shooter. More information and program events will be available on our website soon.

Hopefully this will catch on and everyone will enjoy the day..

Curt - Delaware

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I can really agree with Jason in that the sport seems to be dying in this area[mid-michigan]. A very nice local club seems to be just about ready to give up on trap altogether. We have a really nice 10 team league that seems to be holding it's own at another club. Anything else we have to drive up to an hour to get to. I'm looking at retiring son and moving to the northern part of the state. At that point it's going to be at least a two hour drive to do any competitive shooting. All I hear from the old timers up there is "It aint like it used to be". God help me, I may have to turn to sporting clays. What's this world coming to.
    Bill in MI

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

rev, per first question. Non registered/registering shooters cannot shoot on the same squad as registered shooters.

Second question, there never has nor is there now in effect any ATA rule that prohibits you shooting practice at your club on the day an ATA event is being held. That is strictly club policy most likely due to shortage of traps for the events.

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I shoot both registered and games. I enjoy em both.

Pheasantmaster, what is a 3 bird shoot?

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bisi, simply 6 persons in. If shooting from concrete 2 persons on post one, two on three and two on five. Each shooter shoots 2 target and rotate for a total of 3 each. Leadoff picks the spot and thus may elect to shoot all 3 targets in one position such as the parking lot, club house porch, etc.

14. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I shoot both games and ATA. I enjoy ATA, BUT.....limited availability in my area. A typical registered shoot is >100 mi round trip, and you usually tie up the entire day. You get to meet alot of nice people...but its also expensive.
    Games are a little more available..les than 40 mi. RT. usually available 1 nite a week.
    Some people say games messes up their timing for ATA. For me, shooting is shooting. I think the more gun time, the better.
    Seems like 15 yrs ago, when I couldnt aggord it and didnt have the time, shooting games and ATA stuff was everywhere. No I have the time and money..not so much. Thats the way it goes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fun games for shooters
fun games for shooting trap

fun trapshooting shoots