1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Full, Mod, IC pattern info, please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by M R Ducks, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Hey all - question. Full, Mod, and IC patterns - do they vary in size, or just core denisty? I don't spend a lot of time at the patterning board - I know a lot of you do.

Does a full choke throw a tighter (smaller) pattern than a mod or an IC, or does it throw essentially the same "size" pattern but with more shot concentrated in the center? Do mod and IC just distribute more shot to the fringes?

I would figure that an overall larger pattern would help one pick up a target or two in the course of a hundred - but I have not noticed my scores improve between IC and X-full in my TMX, just how smoke is produced with a perfect hit.

I know that shot string length is a related factor, but that gets too complicated too fast.

Joe

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Another thing to think about is that, when you change chokes, does your POI stay the same? HMB

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

4. JACK

hmb, you are messin with the duckman

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You should go out and shoot a few patterns at some paper. Nothing complex, just so you could see how choke affects your pattern. You would find there is a very big difference in the extremes of skeet to full choke. A more open choke can improve hits until it becomes too thin. Tight chokes do throw denser centers but also smaller overall patterns. Shot string doesn't matter, especially on a trap type quartering away target. In trap shooting, unlike skeet or sporting clays where more open chokes are favored, there is some advantage in shooting tight chokes so you can fine tune your hits. That is why you are not seeing much difference in your scores. I had a friend once put in a turkey choke and was smoking targets on the trap range with his 20 gauge. We went over to the skeet range and he forgot what choke he had in. His score was half what it usually is in skeet. We put in a skeet choke and he started hitting all the targets.

6. JACK

Mike. I buy into that. Big time.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I do not know if this is typical, but with the same Remington shells, my Beretta trap single (34")is has a tighter pattern with an improved/modified choke than my 1100 Remington field gun shoots with a full choke. It is not convenient, but you really have to pattern your gun at least once to really know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

full mod or ic for trap shooting