1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Full choke vs Mod choke at 16 yards?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Any logical reason to use a Full choke or Mod choke from the 16 yard line in singles event?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

No, but it is best to pattern both chokes and see the quality of the pattern. the Full might produce a better pattern in your gun.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

At least an IM choke for me, but full is best. Smoke means I did things right. Light hits means I had better change something soon or a lost target will come.

Pat Ireland

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

SMS,

With today's ammunition, there is really no need to OVER choke. A modified
    choke is more than suitable for 16 yard singles and in many cases will work
    well all the way back to 27 yard handicap. The "Choke for Smoke" arguement is fine for accomplished shooters...but a chipped target scores the same as an ink blot. A centered shot with a modified choke will smoke targets and it will provide a more even distribution of pellets in your pattern which, in my
    opinion, is much better than a hot core. Spend a little time on the patern
    board and compare the Full and Mod results...you might be amazed...and do consider using an extended choke tube for convenience and superb patterns.

Smoken Joe

Chance McCall thanked this.
  5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Earl,

Next you're going to ask 7 1/2's or 8's. Lol. Keep on casting.

ss

6. smsnyder

Short shucker. I need 8 1/8 LOL

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

uh huh...7 1/2 or 8s...lights or full flavor...factory or reloads...Perazzi or
    Mossberg...and don't fer-git the lens tint and blinders...aint it great!

Smok'n Joe

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Yesterday after work I was smoking targets. I thought I had a modified choke in and was surprised to see smoke on almost every target. I checked this morning after remembering that I was patterning my gun a few days ago. I had full choke in. It is fun to see a black smoke cloud after each shot.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I tried something new yesterday that I read on the internet. I had always used the hold points found on the Remington site on trap shooting. I would see my lead then shoot. Then I saw a site www.joeletchenguns.com. He started his gun below the top of the house and used different hold points than the other site and shot swing through with no apparent lead. That sounded good to me shooting when the gun swings through the target but I didn't think it would work. It does. It makes trap shooting from the 16 yard line seem so easy and target breaks seem automatic.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

for most of my 40 years of trapshooting i have used a rem 870 trap gun with a fixed full choke barrel. around 30 years ago i had the oportunity to purchase a 30" modified trap barrel. I asked a well know gun club manager who was also on the wisconsin trap team at one time what his opinion was for using a remington modified barrel for 16 yard shooting? he said something that till this day sounds strange to me. he said " i have seen hundreds of shooters try remington's 870 modified barrels in 16 yard shooting. i have found that newer shooters seemed to have their scores go up a little using the modified choke. on the other hand, i have seen numerous seasoned shooters scores go down using remigton's modified choke barrel". in my own experience, i tried using a rem mod barrel for 16 yd shooting and i had mystery misses, meaning i have no idea why i missed. on the other hand when i use my fc barrel, 42 thousands of constriction i normally know why i miss a target. to me, I agree with the late great Frank Little. all this is TRIVIA. he felt your talking at most about 1 target in 1,000.
    steve balistreri

11. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I'll bet if you ask Leo Harrison III what choke he uses for his 16 yard shooting, you'll find out it is larger than a modified...maybe even Cylinder.

I shoot modified for everything. Been carrying a 98% average for a while.

I had a guy (that was watching me shoot) walk up to me and say he's never seen anyone hit the targets as hard as I was. This guy has been shooting for a very long time. I have to think it's the choke...

Kevin

12. smsnyder

Senior Smoke A miss for every 1000 targets hurts when your straight. LOL

13. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Mash on above.

14. Bucko43

So Sam,

What do those numbers equate to in words?

Modified, Improved Mofified, etc.?

Thanks,

Bucko43

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

What's in a name? It's how the pattern performs that matters. I characterize myself as a mediocre shooter. I've had a few 100 straights in registered singles, using three diferent guns. The first was years ago with a Remington 870 TB with it's typical tight full choke. The next few were with my Beretta 682 X Trap using the modified choke. The last one or two were with my Alfermann with a very tight full choke. I've taken clinics with Hoppe, Kiner, and Robinson and used the Beretta's modified choke for singles with each. It produces good smoke on those targets and none of the three ever suggested I use a tighter choke on them. The gun also has IM and Full choke tubes. I get good smoke on handicap targets with each, and have a little trouble hitting all the singles targets with each because they are so tight. With the Alfermann I get better breaks at 27 yards than most of the people I shoot with - it is tight.

My point is that the label on the choke means very little, it is the performance that counts. If you are crushing centered targets the choke you have is fine, no matter what the label says. My problem is most often gross pointing errors, not choke.

16. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Leo once said "I don't care what choke you use as long as it's full!"

After not shooting for almost a year, I went up to Ben Avery and got into an ATA singles event. I shot a 20 on the first round. I had readjusted the poi on both of my Brownings to be tighter (closer to the target) and forgot to change chokes, it was a full. (so was I for not checking the choke before shooting...Duh!). Anyway, I changed to a mod and went 24, 24, 24.

A few years ago when I got my first 100 I was using a Light Mod. It seems to work just fine.

Many things come into play that effect the choice of chokes that a shooter should use for 16 yard shooting. The longer you wait to pull the trigger the farther the target get away from you. And the tighter the choke should be if you are going to wait for the target to get three feet off the ground.

Go to the patterning board, find out what your gun shoots with each choke. If you see a hole that a target might fit thru stop and record that that choke is only good to (x) # of yards.

Read Pat Ireland's and several other folks ways of patterning a shotgun and follow thier advise. IT WORKS! (13 Yards) Then, if you wish to use some more ammo and learn more about your gun, move back to 35 yards and check the difference between mod-imod-full and extra full. Lots of info and write it down.

fyi.... if you shoot at the normal (which I know is Variable) number 9 and 8.5 shot will brake 16 yard targets with no problem. I've used 10's at 22 yards and still run the round.

Most important thing to remember is Have fun! and practice does make for perfection.

Thanks for reading and I hope at least some of this helps.

Phil Santos Capt. (Ret.)

Team Budweiser

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have one of the old Briley short extended light mod chokes in the wife's BT99 and it smokes 16 yard targets and shoots very well at 20 yards.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Contrary to the opinion of many, a modified choke does not throw a larger pattern than a full choke. All that happens is that some shot in the 20 inch kill zone are moved into the 20-30 circle. This equates to changing a small chip with a poorly pointed shot made with a full choke to a better break when using a modified choke. A more open choke could give more impressive breaks, and confidence, with poorly shot targets.

There is some logic for beginning shooters to use a modified choke.

Also, we would never rely on the powder drop advertised for a specific powder bushing bushing. We always weigh, I hope, what the bushing actually drops. But many rely on what is stamped on their choke and never visit a pattern board or even know how to read a pattern if they shot one.

Pat Ireland

19. Bucko43

A buddy of mine was just telling me last night about how he was watching Leo shoot at the Grand last week. When Leo got in a shoot off he switched to his over under. He said Leo put the gun down for a minute in a rack and my buddy walked over to sneak a peek at Leo's gun. He said the chokes were big enough to drop a quarter down them...

Kevin

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In my opinion every gun is different. I get much better breaks (vapor) from my Infinities' .015 Briley S-2 Extended chokes, than I ever got from my Beretta's, using Beretta, Angleport or Wrights .025 (IM) from the 16. All barrels, forcing cones, barrel internals are different, chokes are just a little piece of the puzzle when combined with the same shell.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke for 16 yard trap

best choke for 16 yard trap shooting
best choke for 16yd trap
best choke for trap beginner

best choke for trap singles

full choke for 16 yard trap
modified choke for 16 yard trap
what choke for trap