1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**FULL CHOKE FOR SINGLES???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I'm thinking of changing from a full to a modified choke for singles. I'd like to hear some input on this monumental decision before I take the step. Bill B

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I use what is supposed to be a 0.015 (0.035" being full) and it will make them disappear. I try to shoot them on the way up, if that matters.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you do that your average will go up and you will have to compete against the big dogs. HMB

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use .028 constriction for Singles because I like to see smoke and I know for certain that a lost target is Not caused by slipping through a loose pattern. Years ago when I did a lot of patterning and counting holes, I discovered that the more open choke tubes merely gave a weaker core pattern without contributing any useful pellets to the outer fringe. I use .036 constriction for long yardage Handicap.

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

It's my experience that there isn't a whole lot of differnce between 0.015" and 0.035" constriction if you are using hard shot or shells such as AA's and STS's. A few years ago, when light modified became all the rage, I patterned two of Briley's 0.015" chokes in two different guns. Both patterned essentially the same - right at 70% which is the definition of full choke. That's a lot tighter than the term "light modified" would lead you to believe. By definition light modified should be about 55% if 60% is the definition of "modified choke". Using a 0.730" bore, Winchester's factory drawings for "modified" show a constriction range of 0.008" to 0.012" - and this was in the days of chilled shot. A fellow from the UK published an article in the year 2000 where he took all of the so-called after market chokes of "quarter choke" -essentially 0.010" or Improved Cylinder - and shot a set of one good load through one gun with a 0.740 barrel. He counted the holes in a 30" circle and reported the results. Almost all of the 0.010-0.011" chokes patterned improved modified at about 65%. A Browning choke labled as IC measured 0.004" and patterned better than 50%. My thought is that if you are going to shoot a full choke even though it's called something else, then shoot a full choke and get all of the pellets you can in the same pattern area.

Johnpe

6. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

HMB,

You must be one of those sandbaggers we have in the sport. I have only been shooting Trap for 3 years I started out with a CZ O/U then got myself a BT 99, then went on to a Browning XT Trap, I now back that up with a BT99 Grade IIILast Jan. at the Southern Grand I was classed as "B" class. I shot 200 singles with 2 AAA and 2AA Class shooters, I was not intimidated and shot a respectable 186, no record to be sure but I don't sandbag either, I would be more than happy to compete with Leo Harrison or Harlan Campbell or anyone else on the trap field, I welcome competition, I will be 73 years old on Monday of next week and I am looking forward to the coming year. I believe that each one of us should compete to the best of our ability, if you don't win this time, try harder next time but don't be a sandbagger, it promotes losing attitudes. Woody Sullivan Oviedo Fl.
    P.S. I use either a full or extra full choke with 1 oz. of#8s.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Mostly I shoot new AA's, 1 1/8 oz of #8. Using an .020 in my Ljutic and .018 in my BT-99 will grind them up into smoke balls every bit as impressively as the so called "FULL CHOKE". On paper I get very uniform patterns with a slightly larger kill diameter. I am not good enough to center every shot. If I were choke would not matter. I do use .035 from the 27yd line. Marc

8. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

15 Thousanths constriction from the 16 yard line, 30 Thousanths from the 27 Yard line out of my Kolar 750 Bore... But then Hey, what do you expect from a Kolar..

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why is it a monumental decision? Or perhaps you are having a bit of fun -

Anyway why not try a tighter choke? The results may suprise you (in a good way). There is a reason the better shooters run tight chokes and it isn't because they want to make the game more difficult.

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

For those of you who advocate less than a full choke I would ask what do you believe that you are getting with less choke? A bigger pattern? More fringe pellets? I would also ask how many have taken the time to place a pattern board at 35 or 40 yds. & shoot counted patterns. I have & my conclusion was that it made little difference between .20 & .35 either in pellet count or distribution. Use what makes you confident........I'll stick with full to get as many pellets into the approx. 20" kill zone from 16-27.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Frank Little always used a full choke gun on singles. I also use full choke on singles.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use IM for everything only because I've never seen a difference putting full in....smoke is smoke..I just like the IMs pattern better as the outer 18" circle has less holes it seems..thats with Briley extendeds in an Invector Plus barrel

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Even with a "good" patterning gun, say, one that puts 75% of the pellets in a 30" circle, virtually all of my misses occur from the 25% of the pellets absent from my pattern and which do not completely fill it out, thus causing those @#$%^ misses. Targets have a way of escaping through the holes in your pattern, regardless of choke, don't ya know. Regards, Ed

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

For 35 years I used a fixed full choke .042 constriction Remington barrel. I murdered targets as they rolled over in smoke.

I tried a factory Remington fixed modified barrel .022 constriction, and I don't really see a big difference. I shot the modified barrel all the way back to 24 yards.

My scores are the same using both chokes and barrels.

I asked a friend who was a former all american what he thought the best 16 yard choke constriction was? In his opinion it was .028. I also asked him what he thought the best choke constriction was for 27 yard handicap and said use the tightest choke you can find.
    Steve Balistreri

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Shoot what the Big Dog's shoot! Full choke. .032 or tighter.

16. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have a Briley XF extended choke that patterns as perfectly as I could ask it to with light 8s or 7.5s! I use this choke for patterning different guns and for shooting money games from long handicap. But, that being said, I use a Briley's IM from the 16. I am sure it is psychological, but..... Martinpicker

17. flyfish

flyfish Member

Leo Harrison III says, "It doesn't matter which choke you use as long as its a full choke!" I'd say he's done pretty well!

18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

People don't all shoot singles targets at the same distance so what works well for one might not work so well for another.

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Use whatever choke gives you the best breaks. Chips put doubt in your mind, which reduces confidence. Dwindling confidence spawns dwindling concentration! It is that simple. I am with Flyfish!

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Unless you frequently miss by 3/4" (which, by the way, you don't) the fact is that a modified choke is not going to help you at all from a pattern standpoint. From a mental standpoint, however, if you believe it will help then it might. But then again, so will wearing pink underwear.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.