1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Full choke and bad weather

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

Wondering how many feel a full choke is the only way to go in bad weather? I was shooting in the rain at my club on Sunday, and got lucky with an OK score, but it was raining and bad. I shot a full choke from the 16 and seemed to handle anything Mother Nature good give me. I used reloads STS Hull, 17.5gr Clays, #8 shot 1 1/8oz, Fig8 wad. It seemed a more open choke would open up more in the rain. Just wondering what other shooters feel and do in this type of instance or case? Do some shooters go to a Super full? Thanks for sharing info. Mike Sharkey, DC

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You'll usually do well if you have faith in your equipment... whether it's warranted or not!

MK

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bad weather??? FULL choke all the time.---Matt

4. grntitan

I know, I know. I started it....

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Matt. I would also confirm on paper what the choke is actually doing. Simply because a choke is marked Full does not mean it actually shoots a full choke pattern.

Pat Ireland

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mike, I don't like choke names. If your choke will put 85% of the shot into a 30" circle at target distance, you have maximized your chance of a break, assuming your shot placement is correct. A good .020" choke (Modified) will do that at 30 yards (singles targets). A good Full choke (.032"~.040") will be considerably tighter at that distance.

If you are trying to maximize your chances of a break, there is such a thing as too tight. Dr. Andrew Jones has developed an online program called Shotgun_Insight Pattern Optimizer. Play around with it for a while and you can determine whether your choke gives you optimal results. Of course, you have to have accurate pattern data to use it, but it is worth the effort, IMO.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with shooting a Full choke for singles, as long as you are happy with the results.

7. grntitan

Pat--Very good point. I've had some Light Full chokes before that threw tighter patterns than chokes marked full. Its a whole combination of factors from barrel exit diameter to choke constriction...etc. etc. The pattern board is the only true way to find out.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

zzt, How many of us have an 85% gun? That is a high percentage.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Frank Little was a firm believer in full choke guns. There is a story on him about this and why!!

Gary Bryant

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

GB: At last a good post.

Don

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

JerryP, at 30 yards, 85% is easy to achieve with the average trap barrel/choke used for singles. At forty yards, it's a different story. That 85% PE @ 30 yards drops to 60% @ 40. That's the definition of a Modified choke. Since most trap shooters use tighter chokes than Modified, 85% @ 30 yards is almost a given.

12. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Looks like ZZT is right: this webpage shows 30 yard patterns over 90% with various choke measurements until the choke gets down to light mod.

There's some 35 yard data there also.

- - Bill

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would say full choke all the time. At least you will not shoot around the target. That will cause more mind problems than an outright miss. Jon

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

zzt, I re- read your post and you did say 30yds. I always think in terms of 40yds, 60% at 40yds is not so good.

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Bad weather ?? I know my trap gun performs with a better pattern at higher altitude like 4000 ft. I think I could get away with a more open choke on a warm summer day but I always use a Full choke for Handicap because I also think that on a cold miserable day I need that tighter pattern just to be in the running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.