1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fugate Firearms I got scammed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by powellwyo1, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powellwyo1

powellwyo1 TS Member

Just wanted to get this out in hopes of saving someone else the turmoil I have endured. I purchased a rifle from Matt Fugate of Fugate Firearms in Gilbertsville, Ky off of gunbroker and got scammed big time. The rifle was advertised as 100% NIB, I called Matt, he stated that if I didn't like the gun I had a 3 day inspection/return no hassle money back guarantee. Well the gun showed up and was clearly used, showed lots of wear,buggered up screws, etc. I sent the gun back but now he refuses to refund my money stating that I damaged the gun. Now he has the gun and my money. I will have to involve a lawyer, not really sure what to do. I cannot believe the level of deception I have been subjected to. These guys are dishonest and deceptive to say the least. Hope this keeps someone from making the mistake I did.
    Adam

2. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Fugate got banned from the Smith & Wesson forums for pulling somewhat the same thing. They would buy a gun from a poster who had it listed at 90% condition, then it would magically re-appear for sale by them listed at 98% or better! It didn't take long for the owner of the site to catch on to what they were doing, and they got banned. Some of their antics may turn up if you do a google search on them.

3. powder2burn

powder2burn TS Member

Adam,

I am no lawyer, and the following is not legal advise, but if I were you I would: 1) Use the link to file a "fraud" complaint with GunBroker.
    2) Leave "negative" (factual not flames) feedback on GunBroker on this Seller.
    3) Search the Gunbroker "Help Center" for additional action you can take.
    4) If you paid via a credit card you have 30-days from billing date to file a "dispute" with the transaction with this Seller. I hope you sent the rifle back with "Delivery Confirmation" to "prove" the Seller "legally" received the rife. Documentation is everything. Otherwise, it boils down to "he said...she said", not a good place to be. Save all "communications" and forward them to the appropriate folks who will investigate this fraud.
    5) UPS should have "records" of shipment that you can access.
    6) If you paid via PayPal, us can file a complaint with PayPal.
    7) Do not wait to do something. Clocks are ticking. Once too much time has expired, you have no legal recourse to getting screwed over.

We all hate to hear when this happens in our "community". I have been screwed a couple to times in gun transactions. I have learned the "hard way". Anyone, recall the name "Jefferdo". That guy still owes me a complete Govt. Model upper in his custom "J-Magd" chambering. I file a "Postal Fraud" complaint; even the Feds couldn't find this guy. I still have the forming and reloading dies. At least I got something from this deadbeat.

Adam, good luck!!

Powder2burn

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

This gun looks pretty darn good to me,, check it out guys,,,

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Adam,

Good luck on getting your money back. I only live 30 miles from Gibertsville, and I have never heard of these guys.

Matt Woodson

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Gun looks good to me. Maybe he did the bait and switch thing???

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Notify the US Post Office if you sent the payment via US Mail.

They love going after things like this.

WW

9. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Here is a link to a thread on glocktalk about Fugate:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9897320

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

"3- day inspection" is the biggest fraud opportunity in the world.

Seems it often boils down to, "I got your money, go pound yourself."

And if you send the product back...good luck.

Hope it works out.

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

The gun pictures may not be of the one the buyer got.

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

4 outta 1900 is pretty good.. but screws dont get boogered up in shipment..

13. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

The very reason I posted the link to sale item was for the person who feels scammed "Look at the grain of the stock" does it match the gun you got??? grain is like finger prints,,it don't lie,,,

14. powellwyo1

powellwyo1 TS Member

The gun looks beautiful in the pictures I got. But when I got the gun the front guard screw was all buggered up alone with the rear sights screws. There was evidence that the rear sight had been removed at one time, handling marks on the forearm (two scratches), bluing wear on muzzle and finally a lot of wear around the rear edge of the grip cap, I would rate this rifle at 96 to 97% not 100% NIB. I’ve been looking for one of these a long time to add to my collection, I was really disappointed. I have no answers for why Matt Fugate did this I paid with a certified bank check which he had 4 days after the sale. I looked at gunbroker reviews which looked good but after all of this I have done a lot of research and have found quite a few folks that were to in the same manner as myself. I have everything documented, even pictures, This is the first time I have ever been scammed, Most folks dealing with guns I have found to be very honest and forthright, it only takes one bad apple. I only posted this in an effort to bring attention and possibly educate someone before they made a mistake like I did. Thanks
    Adam

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Yes let us know what GunBroker has to say about what happen.

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OICU812 made an excellent suggestion about the wood grain. Did you take any pictures you can now compare?

-Gary

17. loop02

loop02 Member

I believe that Rifle in the Photos is what Remington calls a"EURO" model 700. Oil finished stock and butt plate instead of Recoil pad. I have one. All BDL's have plastic finish as far as I know, but I have one like the one in the photos, that I bought used, but in the box with the paperwork.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    powder2burn, quote: <i>"....6) If you paid via PayPal, us can file a complaint with PayPal...."</i>

No, you cannot file a complaint with PayPal. Well, you can try... but PayPal will reject the claim because purchasing a firearm with PayPal violates their terms of service. You have in effect fraudulently used their service.

A few of us keep repeating this over and over and over ad infinitum ad nauseum, but the myth still persists that gun purchases can be made via PayPal.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    powder2burn, quote: <i>"....6) If you paid via PayPal, us can file a complaint with PayPal...."</i>

No, you cannot file a claim with PayPal.

Well, you can TRY, but PayPal will reject your claim.

PayPal does not allow their service to be used for firearms purchases. Doing so is a violation of their terms of service. By using their service to purchase firearms, you have in effect committed fraud. PayPal will not pay under those conditions.

Some of us keep trying to hammer this point home here over and over and over ad infinitum ad nauseum.

20. fugotti

fugotti TS Member

Well now my side of the story.

The gun was 100% new unfired. Adam bought the gun through GunBroker and sent payment and was not held for 4 day as stated. We ship same day when certified funds are received.

The gun was delivered and I received a call from Adam and he says the gun has been damaged in shipping what do I do. I told him all the steps to take and even faxed and mailed all the needed paperwork to make the claim. As the receiver is the one who should make the claim as the sender does not have possession of the damaged item. If the gun is sent back to me then the original insurance is void. Trust me I have done my homework.

Later that night I get another call from Adam that says the gun is fine no damage and the box is just a little dented. Then he said but there is a screw that has been turned and I want to send it back for refund. I told Adam not a problem as long as the gun is not damaged and returned to me as sent out. He said the gun is fine.

Well I get the gun back and the original box and the outer second box I shipped them in looked like it was dropped out of an airplane. I will show the pictures. The box hit so hard that the barrel went through 2 boxes and received a scratch on the end. The gun was shoved so far up in the box it hit the bolt which was taped and in the deep pocket in the box and put 2 scratches on the forearm of the stock. They are fresh and I will show pictures.

We do offer three day inspection and insure all items. Sometimes things get damaged, not often but it does and will happen sooner or later. Adam plain and simple did not want to make the claim and just wanted to wash his hands of the deal.

3 day inspection does not cover when something gets damaged in shipping that is what insurance is for. I am sorry the gun got damaged as it was a perfect gun and I hate when good guns get damaged. They are just to hard to find and you can't replace them.

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=DamageOfReturn8.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=DamageOfReturn7.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=DamageOfReturn2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=DamageOfReturn.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=DamageOfReturn9.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=DamageOfReturn5.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=DamageOfReturn6-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/fugotti/?action=view¤t=Preshippment.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Matt Fugate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adam kraiza
complaints with fugate firearms
fugate firearms review

fugate firearms reviews

joh fugate guns
john fugate complaints
john fugate firearms
john fugate gilbertsville kentucky