1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Fuel Injector Cleaner ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cementman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cementman

cementman Member

On another post regarding a vehicle stalling problem there was an answer that the cause could be dirty fuel injectors or fuel pump. Do any of you use, or have used, a fuel injector cleaner and what is your experience? Any particular brand?

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I have been a fan of Lucas products.

SW

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

cementman,
    if you can find someone in your area that offers a Motorvac service I think you will be happy with the outcome, it not only cleans the entire fuel and intake system but also tests all the fuel related components. I think you will be happy.

4. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Probably mechanical as the ethanol(alcohol) cleans everything it comes in contact with.
    Before that I used Lucas products, now Im sitting with cleaner I bought at half price.

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

Amsoil has a great cleaner called P.I. that makes a noticeable improvement.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Whichever brand or vendor that supplies the equipment and solutions, you should look for one that isolates the injector rails and runs directly off of the cleaning solution, rather than the fuel from the fuel tank. That way you get an effective concentration of the cleaning agent, rather than a diluted mixture. Ford used a Motorcraft cleaning system for years and had changed over to a "pressurized Can" style system. It basically runs the vehicle off of the "Can" rather than the fuel in the tank. Any cleaner that is used as an additive in the fuel will likely not have enough of a concentration to be effective. Here is a link describing the type of system I mentioned.

<a href="http://www.performanceprobe.com/index2.php?redirect=http://www.performanceprobe.com/misc/tsb.php?article=94-08-09" target="_blank">Ford TSB 94-08-09</a>

Many aftermarket companies and injector service manufacturers use this style system. Some work better than others, but the question is do you need the service or not. Many of the newer vehicles have "Non-Fouling" style fuel injectors. In other words, the pintle design is such that they should not become "clogged" during regular usage. Also most fuels have additives that work against such fouling. If injectors have low flow rates and become clogged, it might be best to flush the rails and replace the injectors.

7. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Another solid vote for Lucas products. I add 1 bottle of that stuff about every 5,000 miles. I took my Toyota in for the recomended 35k mile tune up and they told me they did not find much to do but change the spark plugs.

J.F.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I use Sea Foam, have used it for years and never had a problem ... Traded my wifes car with the same spark plugs in it that came from the factory with 95,000 miles on it and them, it still ran good and got over 22 MPG combined Highway and city driving ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My wifes car gets driven less than 5000 miles per year. When it starts running crummy, I buy some fuel system cleaner at the nearest auto parts, usually STP or Gumout brand. I never get anything special or fancy. I mix it according to the instructions, and take the car on a trip of at least 300 miles each way. By the time I get back, the car runs great again. Good Luck

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Another vote for Seafoam ! I use it in every internal combustion engine I own.

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

blaster chemical company sells a product called F.I.C. for fuel injector cleaner--novel idea for a name. It should be available at a napa store. 1/2 bottle to tank of gas. works great just like their other product p.b. blaster. check their web site at www.blasterchemicalcompany.com for more info. motordoc

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Sea Foam and Lucas........

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

seafoam

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sea Foam is about the only additive that I believe in. The stuff does work.

15. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If you do not follow directions you could be buying new o2 sensors! Just a word of cuation. Bill

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Don't overlook that some vehicles have a fuel filter. It may be the problem, not the injectors. The fuel filter on my Chevy 4.3L V6 has to be changed about every two years. It's symptoms are exactly like the injectors are clogging.

17. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

We use BG products at our dealership and I knew they were good but until I was working on a tractor at home that had a STUCK intake valve I never thought much of it. You cant buy the stuff at any store. You need to go to a dealer that offers the service. I freed up the valve enough to run their intake system cleaner through it and that stuff cleaned those valves up like new!!

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.