1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ft. Bragg - Ft. Benning ### Anybody shoot there?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynapro, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Could somebody tell us what they offer at these two locations. We would like to know if they have trap and skeet, how many fields they have and what does it cost to shoot there. Ft. Benning is in Columbus Georgia and Ft. Bragg is near Fayetteville North Carolina, correct?

I believe these are both U.S. Army Bases.

Is it a "membership" type operation? And what procedures are in place to allow civilian access onto the base?

Do you know of any other military facilities that have clay target shooting available. I believe there is Nellis A.F. Base in Las Vegas but that's all I know about.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I have shot at Ft. Bragg & Camp LeJeune---No memberships are required, but it is cheaper to become a member if you want to shoot non-registered trap & or skeet ( that profane word0--look up NC Trap.com--you'll get all the info you need Phil

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Ft. Benning is Olympic Trap and Skeet only. Have shot there numerous times. The Army Marksmanship Unit runs the place. They are quite friendly and you can shoot there during the week by giving them a call.

TB

4. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Thanks guys,

We are out on Buckley Air Force Base and are trying to gather some comparable site information to present to the Base Commander for our 5 Year Renewal. The Leadership is new and this is not a rubber stamp approval this time around.

I'm sure every active base that allows shotgun shooting requires some pass or registration procedures for civilian access. But there is no standard, and apparently it is up to local operations decisions.

They feel a lot better knowing that our program is typical of others around the country.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

How much money does your club give back to the base? That is one thing they will want to know along with whatever you do it will not cost them a single dime but instead ... well ... how much money will it put back into the Air Force system.

6. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

No - not necessarially. A 501c3 Not For Profit that provides a substantial educational and community benefit services works differently. For example, free membership to active service personnel.

Still just wondering who is out there shooting on bases? Appreciate the info if you have any to share.

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I always that that 501(c)3 was for religious and educational organizations which is sometimes, well your not educational but more along the lines of recreational which is 501(c)7. You may wish to look at the differences and see your organization may be better off as a (c)7 instead of a (c)3.

Just get your By-Laws straight and check with the base legal and such because they will want to also have a chop at our package. I'm surprised that you already dont know it but almost all military bases has set guidelines and rules in regards to tenant organizations using the base and base facilities and base ranges.

8. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

Fort Bragg has 12 skeet fields, six of them are combination trap and skeet. The trap fields have CVR. They have about 18 RV hook-ups as well as a covered pavillion for doing the shoot administration and cook-outs. They also have a small pro shop, rental guns, etc. Good place to shoot. www.nctrap.com has info about the range and a link to the range's website.

Bob Mizner
    ATA, NSSA, and NRA Life Member

9. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Ft. Bragg is not on base proper so there are no gate/security issues to deal with. Sometimes a tough place to shoot with the pop-up airshows. Mike

10. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

So that does explain Fort Bragg's situation. Buckley is on the base grounds. They are working with us but security is an issue. Some trouble maker members are balking over the release of their social security number to base security. Just the kind of aggrevation the base does not want. You know how it is. There is always someone who wants to defend his 1st Amendment right to scream Fire! in a crowded theatre all the way to the Supreme Court. Our orgainzation has been around for 30 years. It is modeled after the National Shooting Complex which is also a 501c3.

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Dynapro, Check out the range at Barksdale AFB La. They throw trap and skeet plus registered trap. The range is on the base property, But they do allow civilians access to the range. I believe their range is run by the MWR folks.

Jim

12. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Ft.Bragg Clay Target Center is also ran by the MWR.

13. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I have been there (at Ft Benning) but it was when I had base access permission for the USAS Nationals on the Poole range. I do not think it was an open club for the public. I did stop and talk with Master Sgt Pinkster and shoot with Zeigler, Hart and Dulohery. IIRC there are two Intl skeet and two Intl trap fields. have pics here somewhere will try to put up

14. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

You may want to check with Brad Felton who runs the Ft. Rucker Skeet and Trap Club. They lease the range from MWR and run it as a private club. Much better deal than most ranges run by MWR.

I shoot AT Tyndall AFB which is run by MWR. Not very active because of this.

15. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Bragg is a great place to shoot. Im headed there on tuesday. Todd

16. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

At Benning, regular trap and skeet is shot at the Trap & Skeet Club on base. Don't know if you need to be a member. I was a soldier at the time. Many years ago I used to watch Ray Stafford shoot at the Army Marksmanship Unit range (didn't know him then of course) each guy with 3 guns and about 7-8 cases of ammo next to them. Hundreds and hundreds each day with the govt. paying for it! I was on the post pistol team and used to go up the hill and watch them at lunch time. What a way to get good at trap, with Uncle Sam paying for it!

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I used to belong to the Nellis Air Force Base Gun Club. It is on the base, and has trap, skeet and sporting clays. The club membership card need to be shown to the guard at the gate to gain access to the club. Non-members needed to contact the club, and they would notify the gate who was allowed to enter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fort bragg trap club