1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fs vintage craftsman wrenches

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeetiee, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeetiee

skeetiee Member

thought some of you guys might like to have a very nice set of vintage craftsman wrenches. 3/4 through 1 1/4" 9 pieces. 50$ plus shipping about 10bucks. buy the way i am still looking for a varmint rifle. i have bought a few but i need a few more. thanks lee

2. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Lee, what makes them vintage? Steve

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If your wrenches are like the flat one closest to the socket set, I might be interested. The one with the AE engraved in it, The closer one (front) I bought in 1958. It is no different than the ones you buy today.

The socket set, (you can see the blue and yellow Craftsman oval logo in the lid of the box) is a 5/16 drive set. the 2 sockets outside the box are labeled 1/4 and 3/16. These were for the square nuts that fit on stove bolts, in those respective sizes. The other sockets are common labeling, with the hex dimension size.

I am VERY interested in any more information resource I can find on the old socket 5/16 drive set.

HM

4. halfmile

update, the sockets are from 1933 or so. And they are a 9/32 drive. (found a nice "old tool" website.

HM

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

25/32nds I know ypou used the heck out of that wrench lol

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The size 5/32, Bruce, is in contrast very useful. It fits the stamped sheet-steel nuts which hold the ballast-boxes in fluorescent light fixtures, and nothing else as far as I can tell.

Neil

7. halfmile

Bruce, I never understood why the 19/32 and 25/32 sizes were in the wrench sets.

One day my Dad explained it to me.

When Henry Ford made the Model T there were, in time many blacksmith shops all across the country that learned to repair them and the dealerships did not get as much repair business as Henry thought they should.

He made the Model "A" with those size bolt heads and nuts, so people would have to go to the dealer for repairs. They charged extra if they were rounded off from using the wrong wrench.

It was a short lived fix, however, Because Sears and Wards put those sizes in their sets right away. But the damn things stayed there till the 60's or later.

That's what my Dad told me, anyway.

HM

8. halfmile

According to the above site, WW2 Willys Jeeps had those sizes too.

I guess you're never too old to learn. (more trivia to fill the spaces left by things I forgot)

HM

9. skeetiee

skeetiee Member

i really dont know if they are vintage, but it sounds good! they were my grandpas he probable bought them in the early 50's?? anyway he had more tools than i can ever use. they are now on ebay if you are interested. thanks lee

10. halfmile

It would have been nice if you posted pics here or gave the ebay link. Now I don't know if they are what I seek or not.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.