1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FS Solid Rib Standard 16ga A5

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by kgb, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgb

kgb Member

0   0   0

I've owned this gun for several years, and according to one source it should be a 1931 manufacture with its SN of 91xxx. Only conflict with that listing is the barrel marking of BROWNING ARMS COMPANY OGDEN UTAH which should have changed over in 1929. Oh, well.

The barrel, receiver and forearm are all stamped with the serial number, the horn "FN BROWNING AUTOMATC" buttplate has a small toe chip that doesn't go through to the wood, and a worm groove along one side which makes it look stepped down for about 3" along the edge, and the stocks are some of the nicest I've seen on an A5. Then again I like darker stocks in general. This gun was converted to 2 3/4" and a small-font "2 3/4" is stamped immediately after the "FULL SPECIAL STEEL" stamp on the left side of the barrel. It has functioned fine with standard hunting loads as long as they were not my lighter 1oz attempts. A year ago I ran 200 1oz loads of 1165fps though the gun without a hiccup. The choke is .035" so it's not much of a skeet gun. Recoil's not bad though, as you'd expect on a gun weighing a little over 8lbs! The safety is up front where it belongs.

The gun has what I consider typical handling marks for its age, light scratches and dings in the wood and barrel. It's got more engraving than I've seen on later guns although I'm by no means an expert on these. My pictures of this gun are from April 2009, except for the one with the birds from December 2007, but tell me what shots you'd like to see and I'll get them posted.

$750 plus shipping to your FFL.

Kirk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have many 16's but try selling on 16ga society.com. someone might want it their. Seems a little pricey though. Wild Bill

3. kgb

kgb Member

0   0   0

Thanks, Bill, and I agree as it's been on the 16ga site since last Wednesday. :)

I think this is the upper end of price as well, and as long as you're on the line what would be a fair price for a Super-X M1 with a forend weight system (it's just solid steel, no mercury or anything), a 30" IM Trap choke with a wire by Bob Baumgart and a satin oil finished Skeet stock? It's got a new buffer, stainless mag tube, heavier duty recoil spring, and is a later gun with what I think is called a Stage 3 trigger. A friend is bugging me about it.

[​IMG]

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

KGB, your gun has that amount of engraving because it is a Grade 2, not a standard grade A-5. The conversion to 2 3/4" doesn't help its appeal to a collector and the 8 pounds doesn't help to sell it to a shooter. However, it is a scarce variation and a neat gun.

5. kgb

kgb Member

0   0   0

eb, I couldn't match it up with any grade 2 engraving pattern I'd seen credited as an A5 pattern before. Would the gun be marked in any other way to indicate the grade? I've had pictures of that gun on the 16ga site and nobody had identified it as other than a standard model.

I have thought the conversion was done by a factory authorized outlet, including the stamp, and as long as it functions I'm happy. It is a bit much after too many hours of carrying, but on shorter hunts in Iowa and North Dakota it's been bearable. A bit much in the way of choke, though. If I keep it I'll probably have it opened some.

Kirk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.