1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FS/ Good Quality English Waterfowl & Pigeon Gun

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by goatskin, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

0   0   0

Marked A & W McCarthy, Dunedin on the rib. McCarthy was the largest importer and seller of English guns in New Zealand prior to WW1.

The actual maker of this gun is unknown, but it is a Birmingham Gun of "Good" quality. By no means is it a "Best" but it is far superior in looks, internal quality and function to the usual 'colonial' or 'farmers' or 'hardware store' utilitarian guns.

McCarthy imported both Greener and W. & C. Scott and it is likely one of them made this gun.

This is a Sidelock hammer gun (both matching) 12ga Greener Crossbolt action with 3" chambers; sideclips and 32" barrels with mirror bores: no 'snow', no 'dust', no pitting. The locks, plate and trigger bow are extensively engraved and rib is raised, tapered and hand-file-cut broad rib. There is little wear to the engraving and the case colors are present; the well figured wood is in good shape (save the defect, below): no cracks, chips or repairs. The Checkering is used, of course, but not much worn.

Internally, the locks are unaltered 'standard' Ashes-design and there is no wear on the sears or tumbler. Screws are mostly untouched.

The blue is thin, dusty and is mostly patina. There is a bit of superficial 'drip pitting' under the splinter forend which has long been neutralised. The stock measures 14¼" to the horn butt-plate, 1¼ 2¼ and is neutral cast.

The barrels are choked .028 & .033. Triggers are crisp at 5 & 7 pounds.

The gun is Birmingham Nitro Proved for 1½oz loads and has never had Steel or Hevi- near it. Weight is 8½ pounds and it IS barrel-heavy - this is NOT a whippy grouse gun.

Defects:

- The thin, dullish patina blue.

- The drip pitting under the forearm. That is a cosmetic and not a safety issue.

- The forearm rattles a bit (but I've been too lazy to adjust it out).

- There is a ¼ x ¼ dent/gouge in the buttstock than cannot be fully raised.

- The mid-bead is knocked off.

This is an excellent 'Good Quality' gun and is absolutely lethal for pass-shooting geese with Kent ITM ... or on crows or cormorants with hi-brass 6s ... or under a dove tower with nickel 7½s it is a money-maker on 60yd crossers ... or the box-bird ring (shhhhh!).

PM me your e-mail address for pics, please.
    I am incompetent at loading pics onto TS, but I'll sent them to anybody who's not, and I'd be appreciative.

$1,450 delivered, and of course you can shoot some trap or SC before I cash your check - in fact, that should be a requirement, I think.
    Trades or partial-trades considered, of course. I'm a gun-nut, so what?

GS

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

<a href="http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/g0atskin/8-10shotty/?action=view&current=S2010052.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/g0atskin/8-10shotty/?action=view&current=S2010053.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/g0atskin/8-10shotty/?action=view&current=S2010054-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

If you are related to goat judge then I forgive your incompetence. But you were so close. All I did was click to highlight the HTML box (to yellow) and then did a edit/paste of that into this post. You can do it. Try.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

0   0   0

If you have waaaay too many 870s, or a Red Label you don't shoot, or a rather tatty MT-6 you're ashamed to be seen with in public, or that pimped-out no-name Italian O/U your ex-Bro-in-Law gave you to forget you saw him with a girl donkey ... or ...

GS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

0   0   0

still available to a good (or even average) home.

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.