1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FS Colt 1969 Python .357 Blue

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by gun fitter, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

Colt 1969 Python Blue For sale
    gunfitter_2008_0303_1204.jpg

gunfitter_2008_0303_1205.jpg

gunfitter_2008_0303_1206.jpg

gunfitter_2008_0303_1207.jpg

Custom shop trigger unbelievable both single action and double action pull super crisp like glass.

some muzzle blue wear (Holster wear)see pics 97% or better gun.
    No box!

95xxx sn 1969 no prefix!
    Asking $1750

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

0   0   0

A real nice handgun, but I have a question for you pistol men.

I have a S&W Model 28-2, 6in.(I think) blue about 90-95%, all target (Hammer, trigger, grips, sights), and has been worked to a quality of smoothness I have not found in another handgun.

Are these two revolvers comparable? Do they have about the same value?

I have not seen too many of either at local gun shows, so are most being kept for some reason?

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but it looks so much like my Smith that I was curious.

Thank

Danny

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Are they comparable? Yes, they will both shoot very well. I think the Mod 28 will handle a steady diet of full-house .357's much longer than the Python.

You should be able to buy 3 of the S&W 28's for the price of the Python.

I'd rather own the Python, but I'd buy the Smith to shoot.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

quality wise? no, the Python would be the more valuable of the two.

Hand fitted rather than a production run like the Mod 28, which was just the low cost version of the Model 27 as I remember...

that being said, Hell will freeze over before I'd pay $1750 for a Python in this shape... just IMHO....

5. kolar1000

kolar1000 TS Member

0   0   0

The frame on the Phython I believe is smaller. I own both and my Phython, in my opinion, is a much better gun. The Phython will shoot a much tighter pattern.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

In my younger days I shot good groups with this gun but the patterns were a bit sparse.

7. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Along with the Colt Peacemaker, The Colt Python is considered to be the finest

revolvers Colt ever produced...........Philly D

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

They shore is perty!

-Gary

gw22_2008_030325.jpg

9. Loyac

Loyac Member

0   0   0

How does the Python compare to the German made Korth? They look fairly similar. Is the Korth based on the Colt or a S&W? john

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

Just found out about the trigger It's not a custom shop trigger but it is the same trigger job on the pre 70's guns. Apparently all of the early guns had excellent hand tuned triggers equivalent to a custom shop job. When they opened the custom shop around 72 I think; the standard triggers were not taken care of as much and you could pay extra to the custom shop for a trigger job.

Either way it's a nice 1969 gun.
    Joe

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

Offers? PM me.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

Very nice Python. Compare to a Korth? A Korth is gun writers dream gun, or as they say it Texas, all hat and no cattle. Any Colt or S&W is a far better revolver than a Korth except in print.

13. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Nice pistol, your Python.

The Custom shop Pythons of the 70s had different front and rear sights.

I have a 6" blue Custom Shop Python and is has the smoothest DA pull you can imagine.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

As a teenager in the 70's I saved up my dinero for a model 27 S&W. At the same time my shooting pal saved for a Python. These guns were similarly priced back then. We had many many contests to prove which was a 'better' revolver. I was always a bit jealous of the excellent trigger on his Colt but really both guns were very accurate and our contests never really established which was a better gun.

35 years later, I still have my M27 and my buddy sold off his Python long ago because it got pretty sloppy. But sloppy or not I'll bet the Python would have a much higher value today than my old M27.

15. cle

cle Member

0   0   0

It's a nice gun and no doubt desirable, but $1,750 is a dream. Now, if you've got a 6" bright SS or Nickel........... ?

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

My local dealer has a "like-new 6" Python for $1,100.00
    Does not have the box. The problem with the Python, Trooper,
    etc. is they do not stay "in-time" for very long. The Colt
    fix to re-time was to pound on the hand to stretch it. The
    S&W hands are to hard to stretch. When out-of-time, the hand
    is replaced with a larger one. i.e. .094, .096, etc.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

Not dreaming try finding a pre 70's gun. And there is about a $500-700 premium on the pre 70's guns. This one is in time and shot very little.

It was the original owners duty revolver.

Will consider offers but I have someone local coming to see it so it may be sold.

I'll be listing it on an auction site with a $1600 starting price if it does not sell this week.

Joe goldberg

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

Well here goes. Ive owned all of them or at least shot them from 50's smiths and 60's colts through 80's production guns. This is only my opinion but it seems consistent.

Best triggers came on pre 70's pythons. the later 8" barrel guns that i have shot were not as good as this one by quite a bit.

The same for the smiths best triggers were on a late 50's k gun and a 62 mod 19 that my father has. My mod 27 built around 76 was good but not as good the more recent guns especially current production ones don't compare to the older guns.

Timing and durability are another thing. They all hold up compatibly new and older ones.

It's not the gun writers pushing up the older values its the collectors.

If one looks at guns international you can find post 70's guns selling in new condition for around 1500 find a pre 70's gun and yoyr looking at 2500 for a new one.

I do have a question If I send the gun back to Colt for re blue and refurbishment is it worth as much as a new gun since The cost quoted to me is minimal to bring this one back to 100%
    Joe

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

S&W K frames were/are one of the easiest to get great triggers on. I hated Colt's due to the stacking trigger until I shot Jerry Moran's Python in the '79 IHMSA State Championships.

That man could work wonders with the snake...

for PPC, I'll still take my K frames...

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

0   0   0

Sold thanks Merry Christmas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1969 colt python

1969 colt python 4 inch for sale
1969 colt python price
fs colt python frame