1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FS: 870 Competitions (2) - new lower price

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by AveragEd, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

A young man from the Pacific northwest (Oregon, I believe) who does not have a computer and cannot post or email photos bought an 870 Competition from me about two years ago (the upper one in the photo below). He only fired a box or two of shells though it and says it patterns great but the stock comes nowhere near fitting him. So he bought another gun in less-nice condition hoping the stock would be shaped differently but it isn't. He then thought he might have the stock on the one he bought from me altered to fit him but realized that the amount of work entailed would likely devalue the gun, so he has now decided to sell both guns.

I know nothing about the other gun except what he told me. Everything inside and out is original but it exhibits bluing wear and, I'm sure, some other signs of use. The one he bought from me originally belonged to an older gent from Ohio who shot it once a week if the mood struck, which wasn't often. Perhaps 10 years ago, he decided to quit shooting and sold the gun back to the gun shop where he bought it new in the 1980s. The shop owner also is a trapshooter and 870 Competition fan, so he put it in his storage safe and forgot about it. When he stumbled upon it three years ago, he sold it to me.

Like the other gun being offered here, it had Remington's satin finish that I prefer to describe as "muddy" so I had the checkering recut and the wood refinished in glossy oil, which brought out all kinds of figure that the original finish was hiding. The stockmaker who refinished it said the forend is the nicest he has ever seen on a Remington. Everything about it is original, even the recoil pad, and there is just a slight bluing wear line on the left side of the receiver, a common trait of 870 Competitions. Both guns' barrels have .745" bore diameters and .038" of choke constriction.

The young man wants to sell both guns together and has set a price on them of $1,600 plus shipping. Again, one (my former gun) is the upper one in the photo.

[​IMG]

The seller's name is Jim Mullin and his telephone number is 503-801-3094. If you have any questions about the one he bought from me, feel free to send me a P.M. or email.

Ed

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Ed,,

Is it 2 guns and the spare barrel??

3. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

No - that's an old photo of two of the 870 Competitions and a spare barrel I owned. I sold the barrel and the upper gun in the photo, which is the gun the seller has for sale so since I can't take a current photo of it, I used this old one. He also has another gun for sale so it's two complete 870 Competitions, not a gun and a spare barrel.

Ed

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Those have the nicest wood I've ever seen on a Comp. Mine's got a fence post by comparison...maybe I should have Dennis turn me a stock set from a chunk of English I've got...

5. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thank you. I shopped a lot for a couple of years and bought and sold Comps until I got two with nice wood, in good mechanical condition and totally unaltered. I then needed room in my safe for another shotgun so I decided I liked the lower gun better and put the upper one up for sale.

I will tell you something else about that gun. It's barrel throws the best patterns of any Comp I owned and I should have moved it over to the one I was keeping but didn't because I also had a brand new barrel with a .745" bore and .040" of constriction. I assumed it would pattern the same or a little better than the .038" one, but it doesn't. It's not hateful or anything but that upper gun's barrel was super!

Ed

6. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jim phoned me today to say that he has received inquiries about his guns but people either want to only buy the nicer one, which is understandable, or think both guns and the extra barrel in the photo are for sale.

ONLY THE UPPER GUN IN THE PHOTO IS FOR SALE. I HAVE NO PHOTO OF JIM'S SECOND GUN. You need to call him with any questions.

Jim asked me to rerun his ad with a lower price - $1,400 plus shipping for both of his guns.

Ed

7. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

0   0   0

This has to be one of the most confusing ads I have ever seen.
    HAVE I GOT THIS RIGHT?
    We see a photo of two guns of the type stated in the post but they are not the two guns for sale. Only one of them is,the other gun has nothing to do with the 2 guns for sale and the extra barrel in the pic is no longer owned at all and the guy posting doesn't own any of it.
    I guess if you want to see the other gun you will have to drive to see it cause the guy posting can't take a current pic of either gun, because he doesn't have possession of any of it any and apparently the owner doesn't take pictures.
    There has to be a bit of humor taken from this. WOW

TTT for a fun ad.

8. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Unfortunately, Randy has it right. The actual owner of the guns for sale is not computer savvy and accordingly cannot forward photos. Since he is a reader of mine and bought one of the guns from me, he asked for my help. If I had a good photo of the one I used to own on my computer, I would have posted it but that photo is the best I can do.

My best advice is that an interested party could buy the upper gun in the photo as it appears there - in like-new condition - and price the other one as "rough" in order to be safe (although from his description, it might not be all that rough). Frankly speaking, if I were interested, $1,100 for the pair would seem fair since I cannot see the other gun.

Call the seller and make him an offer.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.