Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FS 16ga single with slow lock time

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  twcpdc 
#1 ·
46 1/2" bbl, .708 bore, no choke - sure fire but kinda slow lock time. Makes you understand follow through. Shoot any size shot you want or even great big .690 lead ball. Be a hit at the range, draw a crowd. You'll get to shoot it once then you'll have a crowd wanting to try it.

Copy of French 1728/1746 infantry musket. All steel finish polished bright. Tuned and polished lock with hardened tumbler and sear. Hardened frizzen - really sparks - great shooter, really fun. $675 shipped.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've had muzzleloaders over the years but this is the first flint musket. It's a hoot! Go through the paper cartridge loading/firing drill and imagine a line of a few hundred of these going off continuously (until time to make your bayonet charge) really gives you a perspective on 18th century warfare. Lots of noise, lots of smoke, lots of fun at the range

#4 ·
I have an original .750 smoothbore hanging in my gun room, which has several different stampings on it. Most are European, which denote manufacture in the Danzig, Austria armory, and issue to the First Jaeger Regiment. There are more stamps which tell platoon and number in the platoon, as well, but I have forgotten what the details are, as I didn't write them down when was told what they all were.

The interesting parts are the lock and date stamping. The sideplate is marked "Danzig", with an Austrian crown above it, with a date of 1839 below. The date stamp is British , and it has been converted to percussion with British hammer and nipple. I was told it was built for, and issued to, Austrian soldiers fighting for Napoleon, and taken in battle by British forces. It was held in a British armory until it was needed in Canada, to arm a militia unit in Ontario.

It has the original issue 19" bayonet, a 42" .750 smoothbore barrel, and a 13" LoP. The recoil pad consists of a flat solid brass buttplate, which extends forward over the top of the butt for about 2". Obviously built for a short, strong soldier, with a TOUGH shoulder.

I found it hanging in the rafters in my Great Aunt's attic when I was about 5 or 6 years old, and because it had been issued to my Great Great Grandfather in Ontario, to repel the Fenians invading from New York, my Great Aunt gave it to my father, for me. It hung over the fireplace in our basement for many years, and I took possession after my father died. I have fired it, but because of the corrosion in the barrel, I only used 30 grains of 4F powder, a heavy cotton patch, and a round ball. With that powder charge, you pull the trigger, it goes WHOOMPH, pushes gently on your shoulder, and you can actually see the ball against the target, before it hits.

The barrel has corroded in the bottom 4" or so, such that a 12 Ga. brush will lightly contact all but that last 4". There is still a lot of steel left, but I figure with the history behind it, it has earned wall hanger status.

#5 ·
Slow lock time for sure I was at a shoot and had one of these borrowed from a buddy. The shot was a 30 yard rabbit I touched off the shot flash and no boom. Then took the gun down off my shoulder then the boom hit that rabbit from a waist hold dead center. Still to this day get a big laugh out of that shot. It was one to remember. Those woods walks were a lot of fun I miss them. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.