1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen Choke Tube Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ExFedex, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Am attempting to get stuck choke tube out of an SKB 85TTS Unsingle. Dry ice and soaking have not worked. Am hesitant to try heating that area as it appears the rib is non-magnetic/aluminum? and therefore would not be soldered to the barrel. Am I correct on that? Cannot ship it to Briley on the weekend so will keep shooting and soaking it over the weekend. Thanks again. Bill H.

2. Bud Johnson

Bud Johnson Member

Try submerging the entire choke tube in the barrel in "Kroil". Kroil is a penetrating oil and I have had great success removing choke tubes this way. Let it soak, try it, let it soak and try it. Takes some time but has worked many times.

Good Luck

Bud Johnson

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Bud you beat me to it, Kroil is the best thing ever put in a spray bottle, I bought a can from a ad in a machinists magazine once and after using it i ordered a case of 12..there is nothing better, my daughters perazzi had the choke stuck in it last weekend, it would not move left or right, i sprayed kroil down the barrel and let it soak for 30 minutes, after that it screwed right out, the barrel had melted plastic from the wads between the choke and the bore..

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Kroil is also a favorite of mine, havn't had to deal with a stuck choke tube but with similar situations on the job and it works fantastic. Heat, you don't need a blow tourch, a heat gun or HD hair type dryer will probably work good enough.

5. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

try putting the wrench in a vice and turn the barrel. You have much better leverage that way. Hope this helps George

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

First apply Kroil for 1/2 hour, then heat it with a blowdryer o you can't touch it, then put the choke tube wrench in a vice and twist the barrel.

You can also tap the wrnech with a rubber mallet, but make sure the wrench is tight.

7. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Mr. Ex...

Once you get this out successfully, clean the hell out of the threads on both the choke tube and in the barrel, reassemble with one of the good lubricants, then routinely take it out, clean and relube the threads. Shouldn't happen again.

Cheers

Larry

8. bullet2

bullet2 TS Member

Put barrel in a bench vice with rubber padding & use a easy out

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I am a fan of the Kroil for bullet molds and have changed many minds
    They are running a special so now is you chance to try the best
    KANO LABS KROIL
    choke tube as said use a hair drier to heat and then set in the Kroil

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I used Kroil the other day to loosen the nuts on my Lawn Tractor blades. They had not been off in 4 years. Best stuff ever made to get frozen parts off.

11. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have diped barrels in a pot of boiling water to protect the blue and rib. If that does not work I use a stuck choke tube remover from Brownnells it will destroy the choke inside. Ronnie

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

When you put your tube back in use a decent anti-seize on the tube threads something like Permatex 133a. It's silver in color. I believe this is the number I use. Synco Super Lube is the best all around grease in my opinion and I've been using it for years. Someone on here told me they had a bit of a name change to it but it still can be had. On choke tubes, slides, pivot points, o-ring lube etc. works great. The Industrial Lubes can be bought in small quantities, it doesn't have to be bought in 55 gallon drums. Both items I've told you about I keep in my gun case and it never leaves it. Alot of these gun greases and lubes out there are overprice bullshit or renamed and repackaged for 20X what they are really worth. If you have trouble finding them or want to try them I'll help you get them. I can get them easy and very inexpensivly. The price doesn't break the bank, for 10 or 11 dollars you have half a lifetimes worth.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you are going to buy Kroil on-line, shop around through a service like Google Shopping. Brownells sells the 8 oz. can for $16.99; MidwayUSA wants $9.49 for it. You can buy the same can from Amazon with cheaper shipping for $6.99.

MK

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My pal had a tube stuck in a more expensive gun, his machinist put tthe barrel in a lather and cut the tube out. Of course the tube was destroyed.

Ditto on the Kroil. PB Blaster is another good one, but Kroil is better.

HM

15. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

If Kroil doesn`t work,get some "Howes Lubricator" ,can be bought at TA truck centers just bout anywhere I`ve used both I`d say the Howes is better.
    Our state DOT guys use it on the fleet they swear by it.(there ain`t nothin more rusted than bolts on a salt spreading dump truck.)
    Howes Lubricator mfg. by R.B. Howes & Co. box 100 Coventry RI 02816.
    also try putting the barrel in the refrig. for a while. then warm up the howes
    in a pan of hot water, then soak the barrel in the Howes( heat transfers from hot to cold)then try to wrench it. good luck breakemall! ML.

16. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Bill,

I didn't see where you mentioned whether or not the choke tube was internal or external. I've done quite a few of them for guys lately, and Kano Kroil is the weapon of choice. The last one I did (internal) took two days, but after chucking it up in a protected set of vice jaws it finally came out. Another vote for external choke tubes and preventative maintenance using some anti-seize compound regularly. You'll get it out & report back.

Good luck,

Jon Reitz

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Next time put on a little Permatex thread release (silver). One tube has lasted me 15 years. It's used on engine head bolts.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Soak it well (24 hours) with a penetrating lubricant. Kroll is very good, kerosene is also very good. Put the wrench on the tube and try lightly tapping many times with a steel hammer. The vibrations will sometimes break the threads lose. Hot water or a hair dryer will also provide a safe source of heat.

Pat Ireland

19. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Another vote for Kroil. I have yet to meet anything that Kroil and some patience has not conquered. I've worked rusted, frozen parts for a week and freed them up, so will you.

20. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

ITS OUT!! Thanks for all the input. It was a flush mounted tube in an SKB 85TTR Unsingle that I bought used last Wed..Used PB Blaster, Kroil, 400 degree heat gun, Lyman gunsmith hammer. Destroyed one Remington choke tube wrench and one Briley wrench also.What finally broke it loose was my son had an older Rem. tube wrench that was punched to fit a 3/8" drive. Put it on a sliding t-handle that gave us more leverage. Took about another half hour of heat,oil, and tapping to get it totally out. There is rust in there but I see what looks like residue from red colored thread locker in the tube threads.Thought it odd that the stuck tube was an Imp. Cyl. with about .005" constriction. Never have gone that open in trapshooting. Thanks again. You are a great bunch. Bill Heaphy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.