1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen choke , how to get it out,need help !!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by srp41, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srp41

srp41 Member

How do you remove a frozen choke ,many have tried

2. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Pics would be helpful. Kroil is very powerful.

3. kene

kene TS Member

have never tried this on a choke but in other areas cold and heat works -- it you can cool [freeze?] the bbl with the choke in it and then take it out of the cold box and then immediately use a heat gun on the outside of the end of the bbl -- that might loosen it. cold will make the metals contract and then the heat will expand the outside pulling the bbl away from the choke tube.

again - a thought depending on how desperate you are

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have heard of good results with Kroil. May take several days of soaking and repeated applications.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Try the links above and below, or do a search-- stuck choke.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=241380

Wayne

6. steele

steele TS Member

This might sound a little elaborate, but it works & doesn't damage anything. A few years ago I had a stuck tube in a Ljutic. We did everything listed above, with no luck I got a 3-4" piece of copper pipe, drilled a hole thru it about 1" from the end. I scuffed the the rest of it pretty rough. I cleaned the inside of the tube & used Accru-Glas expoxy to glue the copper in the stuck tube. It setup overnight. I put a screwdriver thru the hole I drilled in the copper, using it as a spanner wrench. The tube came out with a little grunting. Accru-Glas does not like heat, so I put the tube with the copper still attached in a small pot of water & heated it. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the Accru-Glas to soften & they all came apart. I put a bore brush on a cordless drill to polish out any left over Glas. It takes a little time, but it came out w/o damaging anything. Several guys on here have tried this & reported back how well it worked. I've posted this numerous times & someone has always called to say how well it works Butch from Pgh

7. maka

maka Member

Good excuse to bye new gun. Just joking!! Try wrapping barrel in a bench vise and apply heat with tourch or hi-temp. heat gun. Take wrench and try to break loose. Other idea's such as Kroils or others are also possible. Good Luck.

8. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

PB BLaster penetrating oil - love the stuff.

Once I had a real toughie, i took a pipe wrench, and used that in place of the spanner (fortunately, the tube sticks out beyond the barrel).

Good luck

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

kerosene is the original penetrating solvent. it's more popular as a tiki torch or lantern fuel, but it's really a penetrating solvent. it's what you want. and it's cheap. let 'em soak for a day. good luck with it

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a 410 O/U which has a stuck tube in it. I have tried everything but the copper pipe trick. It's still in it. I've ruined 3 choke wrenches while trying all those tricks. Now I need to try the the copper trick. Will try to find some copper pipe that small and order some accu glas epoxy. Jackie B.

11. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Put barrel in a freezer over night and then try
    tapping on the wrench.

Doyal

12. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

brownells has a tool for this,but it does trash the choke tube.

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

DON't Heat with a torch. Use a heat gun that wallpaper installers use. You can buy them at Home Depot for about twenty dollars.

14. BillJ

BillJ Member

Stick the barell end in boiling water for a while, it should come out.

15. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Leverage is your friend. I got one out for a new shooter with a neglected gun last week at the range. Sprayed with Remoil, let soak. Inserted a Remington choke wrench with the hole for a 3/8" ratchet in it. Inserted ratchet with a long handle. Had two guys hold barrel down on a bench and applied pressure to the ratchet. Choke broke free. After clean up and new oil, everything was back to normal. Mark

16. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Sent my Perazzi MX-15 to Giacamo in Rome, NY area.

17. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

...and once you get it out, if your tubes are stainless steel, lube every tube thereafter with mil-spec nickle-based anti-seize and not the aluminum/zinc stuff that's easier to find. You can tell the difference by color: nickle base is dark gray, the stuff that contains aluminum or zinc is silver.

Mike

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

God Mike!! Then he gets some on his finger, slips on trigger, shoots back of traphouse, buddy laughs so hard, has chest pains, ambulance comes, takes him hospital, ATA official says " what happened "......

"I put nickel nevr-seize on my choke tube...

19. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

...maybe then he'll learn not to put his finger where it doesn't belong!

Mike

20. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Spent 3 days trying to get one out of an un-single without damaging the rib. Oregunner's hint about the Remington choke tube wrench with the 3/8" drive hole finally did it. You can get torque and downforce at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
chokes no freeze
desperate measures to remove frozen choke tube

does freezing the shotgun barrel help get out a frozen choke

how to free frozen choke line