1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Front sight color?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KF9VH, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

What color front sight do most feel is the best for trap shooting? I bought a used gun and it has a high viz sight that takes the light pipes. All it came with is green and red. I am thinking I would like a white one better. Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Mike

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

When I used the bright ones for trap I developed a bad habit of focusing on the bead,I changed mine back to white.Jerry

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Take it off. Sights are there for decoration.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

black

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I use red.<br>
    <br>
    But then, I'm opposite eye dominant, and require a Uni-Dot to keep from cross-firing.<br>
    <br>
    As far as becoming fixated on such a sight, you have to train yourself to stay focused on the bird, and use peripheral vision to being the dot to the bird. If you look directly at the red dot, you will miss.

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I'm with Frank, Black.

7. ram2008

ram2008 TS Member

Front sights? I took the advice from some previous posts here, and took mine off the gun. For the first time in about 3 months, I shot a 23 yesterday!! I have had all the colors up front on the barrel, but all they do is distract me by concentrating on them, and not the bird, causing misses most of the time. This is very true, and I have proven it. Take yours off for a few rounds of trap, and just get used to not using a sight. You will find out that your eyes will pick up the bird better, and your barrel will follow to the bird. Works for me!! Are there any rules in the hand books that require a front sight?

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I've been saying for years that many should loose their front sight. I didn't invent this idea Dan Carlisle taught it to me.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Fuschia for skeet..

Mauve for sporting clays..

Curt

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

How bout pitty tink? For the sheeters.

11. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Tiny brass bead or nothing , anything that can draw your eye away from the target = bad. One special exception would be those with a cross eye dominance problem or central vision where a colored bright sight in a tube can only be seen by the master eye.

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I painted my white sight with a bottle of model car paint (florescence orange); works for me. BT-100dc

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

14. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

What front site?

15. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Jack, the reason I choose to use a black front sight is, that it doesn't stand out. I do this in an endeavor to lessen the chance of bead checking. Do you suppose Phil Kiner would approve? Since doing so in my last 5 caps events my average was 90.5, I know that's not great, but it is a big improvement from an 86. I was just sharing something that seemed to work for me.

16. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not know. For the past 3-4 years I have had irregular success with a fluorescent green sight. I did my best to look through the site at the target. The last month or so, I have struggled. A couple of days ago at the SC State shoot I think I was going back to the front sight after the target came out. I blackened my green front sight with an ink marker and I think my target vision became better and my scores went up a little (not enough). For the next several months I plan to use a small black sight and see what happens. I am sure that changing from green to black did not hurt anything and might have helped me.

Pat Ireland

18. don q

don q TS Member

Kiner does suggest a black sight. I did it and helped me a lot. Does not take away from target focus. don q

19. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have talked to many that scoffed at the black sight......but they have never tried it.....on the other hand, most (if not all) blackened bead shooters ARE former "colored" bead shooters....as the old Alka-Seltzer add said....."Try it you'll like it"and it rubs off....

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Yesterday, in utter frustration, I removed the red Hi-Viz sight. I had no bead at all.

Shot 25, 25, 23.

I have been struggling badly for two months. Went from B scores to D. I think I have been bead checking or trying to "aim" the shot.

Three rounds are not proof - but I was surprised at the ability to hit birds with no front reference. Maybe a black bead is the answer - for me at least.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bead color for trap
best bead for trap
best color sight for trap

front sight for trap shooting

frontsight color
frount sights for trap gun
what is the preferred front bead color on a trap shotgun
whats the best front site for shooting trap