1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Front end problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there are any mechanics out there that can give me some input on a front end problem I have with my old Buick LeSabre. (1990) I use it as a second car when I visit my family in Wisconsin and therefore don't want to spend a "ton" of money on it. Last week we noted a slight vibration in the front end. Today my wife drove it and the entire front end, (to include the steering wheel) kind of wobbles. It's almost like a front wheel is ready to come off. Would anyone know what could cause this? Could it just be one of the tires? Thanks a lot in advance. Ed

2. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

broken belt in a front tire is likely

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Start with a look at the tires. Sometimes your best to remove the tires and look close while rolling tire slowly. Check front end for bad tie rods and ball joints a bad inner joint on the axle can give you a shimmy too.

4. Hanktheduece

Hanktheduece TS Member

Ask Tron!
    Duece

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Could be ply seperation in the tires if it just all of a sudden started being noticable. Take it to one of the local tire stores. Les Schwabb, Big O etc.

6. 3200 tony

3200 tony TS Member

Also check your "IDLER" arm. When this wears out you will get a violent shimmy in front end that will start for no apparent reason, then stop when you apply brakes or change speed.

Tony

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Tron is right, especially if it has been sitting for awhile. The rotors rust and then you get some thickness variations in the front rotors causing a vibration or shudder while braking. Replacing the rotors and pads should do the trick. Rear brakes can do the same thing, but it's not usually that noticeable. It's best to drive a car around once in awhile, rather than let it sit, just for that reason alone.

8. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

My ex had a front end problem. Fixed it with implants. Allen

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

awbenz, thats because every time you rear ended her you threw her front end out of alighnment.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

awbenz

For you or for her?

11. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

hairy,

The one in the center of your picture is pretty to look at, but I'll bet the two ladies to her left have more class than her whole family!

My respect to those two ladies.

Danny

12. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

It will end up being several things, worn and weak shocks, a tire out of round most likely starts the vibration. Worn ball,joints and worn control arm bushings also will add to the problem. Who ever TRON is does not know squat

13. TC

TC TS Member

(edit)

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

irfner & Tron have it.

I am not in the trade, but I have a vast lifetime of experience driving haggard worn out jalopies.

Brake problem you should feel in the pedal. Idler arm would make play in the steering wheel. If the struts/shocks are bad it will act like a pogo stick on bumpy sections.

I'm thinking tire.

HM

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Could also be a thrown wheel weight......

Internet diagnosis are next to impossible.

16. esoxhunter

First of all guys; I would like to thank all that provided input. I took the car to a local tire shop and they feel that my problem lies with the right front tire. It is badly worn. They feel that if I replace both front tires, the problem will be rectified. They noted that my struts and/or other suspension parts could indeed be worn and could have contributed to the adverse wear on the tires. However, as I only put about 3000 miles on this car each year and considering the cars age; it seems to me that investing in a couple of inexpensive tires is the way to go. I get the car back tomorrow and will let you know if the tires were the problem. Thanks again. Ed

17. esoxhunter

Replaced both front tires. The old "Ghetto Cruiser" rides like a new Mercedes !! Thanks again to all. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.