1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Front Bead Preferences

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chadmjkrause, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chadmjkrause

chadmjkrause TS Member

What are people's preferences on the type/color of your front bead?

I was thinking about swapping out the white bead for a hi-viz sight, but was curious people thoughts on different options and if they found those hi-viz sites helpful or distracting.

Chad

2. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...what is a 'front bead'???

3. soundaround

soundaround Member

If you are looking at the bead you can't be watching the bird. As soon as I had my gun fitted properly and knew that is was shooting exactly where I was looking I blacked out the front (white) bead so it would not be a distraction. I have a hi-viz sight you can try if I didn't throw it away.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I prefer the HiViz front beads [I don't use a middle bead]. As I got older, my eyes needed the brighter sight picture. Some people like using the long tube style that keeps your head down on the gun. Be prepared to change the bead once a year to keep its brightness and to clean it. Do NOT use solvent on it.. plain glass cleaner or warm water works well. These beads are very easy to put on and use a little bit of blue lock tite. Good shooting. Fred

5. soundaround

soundaround Member

Well there you have it...some people are going to love them and others try to avoid any distraction at all costs. Should probably try one out and see to which end of the spectrum you will gravitate. You will know pretty quickly if your average goes up or down...good luck

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use the Hi-Viz with the smallest diameter Flour. Green light pipe.

Matt
    [​IMG]

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Plain old white for me but the only time I use them is to check for gun cant.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I prefer a "Bradley" style white front bead. I think those Hi-Vis type beads just draw your attention away from the target.

John C. Saubak

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

For those of you that make comments like "what front bead" or "if you look at your front bead, blah, blah, blah...." Go and remove your front bead, shoot a couple hundred rounds, come back and post your results.

The bead is in your peripheral and it is used for reference just before you shoot..

No one looking at this threads ares about what the front bead does.

Sorry carry on folks, I am also curious about what others use.

Bryan

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I like the small green lite pipe.....so does Harlan......SMOKIT

11. skeezix

skeezix Member

If you can keep it in your front vision- they are fine. I use a red EZ-hit myself (though I still dot my left eye) If it causes you to focus on it, then get rid of it.

calkidd - i know a bunch of guys in Billings MT that do exactly that. The first thing they do to a shotgun is take the bead off of it.

john

12. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Hi Viz has been great to me. It is helpful to me in all shooting conditions day and night, for sure at night!

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

OTOH, they're a strange bunch in Billings...........

14. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Uni-Dot - don't leave home without them...

FRedmon

Your Target Total May Vary

15. soundaround

soundaround Member

As a note, calkidd, I would not continue to use a blacked out bead if my scores had suffered. And yes, if your vision is normal the bead (black or white) will remain in a peripheral place in your soft/secondary vision as will the top of the rib or the top of the leading edge of the barrel. No one knows the skill set or experience level of everyone that posts here, so as you said its good to know what others think without judgment.

goose2, you are right on, as I too only now use the bead to check cant...good reminder. The other points made in favor of the Hi-Viz are also well thought out and the reason every individual should try a variety of options to see what works best. Thankfully, changing a leading bead is one of the inexpensive options individuals can experiment with

Jim

16. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

For me, a green worm helps. For some people, it's distracting; they can't keep themselves from focusing on it instead of the target. Use what works for you.

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

No beads here once the gun is fitted properly. It seems to work for me, but I do leave them on a couple of 870's that I lend out from time to time.

ss

18. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Removing the beads from my gun worked well for me. It seemed to bring the bird closer to my eye. It was an illusion,of course but nevertheless. . .

BB

19. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Chris Vendel's small white bead is used by a lot of top shooters.

see the website above

Terry.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try them all, and use what works best for you. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.