1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Front Bead, Lighted Tube or Std Bead?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom421, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom421

Tom421 TS Member

What do you guys shoot or recommend, Standard white bead or change to the lighted tubes? Pros and cons?

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

Standard bead or flashlight = Standard bead! Why would anyone want a bright light on the end of their barrel?

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

For "me" just a small std white or none, those light pipes are too distracting. I need what little concentration I have all on the bird. But if they help you use-em. Ross Puls

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Chris Vendel's "Little Bead".

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How is is that Harlan C. can use the light pipe on his gun? Probably the hottest shooter on the circuit today.I think it depends on several things concerning how we use our vision skills when talking about end beads.

Hap

6. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

No bead!

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use the 2 mm size Uni-Dot which is small diameter and also helps to prevent crossfire.

8. Shawn

Shawn Member

I went with the biggest brightest bead I could find, no mid bead.

Whatever works for you.

shawn

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Factory beads, black fingernail polished.

10. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

"How is is that Harlan C. can use the light pipe on his gun?"

Contingency?????

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Harlan could mount a paper towel tube on his gun and still win.

12. creek

creek Member

Light pipes will make you look at the barrel when shooting. The smallest white bead is the way to go.

The shooters that use the large light pipes are aiming; not the way to go!

John

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

John, I think you're doing a lot of asssuming with your statement.

"The shooters that use the large light pipes are aiming; not the way to go!"

Hap

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

How is is that Harlan C. can use the light pipe on his gun?

Because Harlan could still hit the bird with a 500 watt light beam shinning in his eyes. LOL. Oh, and while you are tapping him in the side of the head, while screaming profanities in his ear.

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If one understands the purpose of the bead it is easier to make a decision about which one is right for YOU.

The bead isn't a sight and it isn't there for you to look at or line up with the target. It is to be "seen" by the eyes as they focus ON THE TARGET. The eyes will see the bead even as you focus on the target, and your brain will receive subliminal level information about muzzle location vs target location. So we want our eyes to see the bead so we can provide or mind with useful data about muzzle location, without looking at the bead. This means a bead color and size that your eyes can perceive, but not so big or bright that it defeats it's own purpose and draws the eyes to look back at it.

I like a small red light pipe. The green is to attractive to my eyes.

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

IMO, wireguy is right on the topic.

I tried many light tubes, it's distracting, because they are brighter than the target.

17. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

Here is a question for you guys!

Shooting back from the 27Y line , you aim or point the gun to break the bird???

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    People who arbitrarily and capriciously claim that fiberoptic beads are worthless, useless, not the way to go, etc., apparently are quite ignorant that there are some of us that need these devices in order to use both eyes for shooting. The Uni-Dot in particular is a very useful tool for those of us who have issues with crossfiring. These same people also say you don't need a bead at all or even a rib. I'll believe that when I see trapshooters with K and P guns with round, ribless and beadless, barrels.

If you have crossfiring problems, ignore their ignorance and give a 2mm Uni-Dot a try. Realize it's going to take a month or two to get used to it, and your scores may drop until you practice enough. Those who try it for one round then declare it's useless are foolish. One key point is that you never look directly at the bead. You keep your eyes on the clay at all times and use peripheral vision to bring the dot to the clay. Your shooting eye will pick up the bead well enough without looking directly at it. If you look directly at the bead you will miss.

Keep in mind the Uni-Dot uses a tube to prevent the non-firing eye from seeing the bead. Regular fiberoptic beads do not prevent this.

If you don't have a crossfiring problem, that lessens the argument for fiberoptic sights. However, I find the bright bead useful under the lights at night shoots. And I especially like the bright bead when hunting.

19. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

"Keep in mind the Uni-Dot uses a tube to prevent the non-firing eye from seeing the bead. Regular fiberoptic beads do not prevent this."

The only problem is that will not prevent the non firing eye to see the barrel which in case of eye cross dominance is vital!

The only thing the Fluorescent beads are doing is to switch the shooting eye to the barrel.In case of eye cross dominance is mandatory to watch the beat in order to trick the eye! Is good for rifle and pistol shooting where you aim but not so good for shotgunning where you point the gun!

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks.

How a shooter uses whatever type of bead is up to them.

I do like light pipes for the front sight of my action pistols - very fast and accurate. I could see how some shotgunners could benefit from using a similar set up on the end of their trap gun - but it isn't the best for me, I use a white bradley darkened out with a black sharpie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.