1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Front Bead is Loose (suggestions)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wayne of PA, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

After shooting tonight at a local club I noticed my front bead came loose on my recently purchased 682 Gold E.

What would be the normal procedure to do for securing back in to place. If you tighten down all the way it sits way to the left. Would locktite do the trick and hope that holds it place in the middle or should something stronger be used?

I picked up some Locktite thread-locker RED 271 on my way home from the local Lowe's. Before I attempt to apply it I thought I would ask some opinions. Because of how far left it sits when tightened I almost feel I should have a bead with a longer thread base for a more secure fit.

I would take a picture and show you but unfortunately I do not a access to a digital camera at the moment. Do you think I'm on the right track with what I mentioned above? Thanks,

Dale

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Dale, I had this problem also. I put a small drop of my Wife's nail polish in the hole on the rib, screwed the bead back in and let it dry for a day or so. This was last year and the bead is still in place. Larry Evans

3. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Put one #9 shot in the hole and carefully snug it up until it ALMOST is in the correct position. Back out the sight and put some of "oldgahchamp's" wife's clear nail polish on the threads. Then, tighten to the correct position! Let it set for 12 to 24 hours and it should last for a long while! If this bead once fit and lined up correctly and now screws in too far it sounds like it was a glue fit originally! Now, if this gun was RECENTLY purchased NEW, I'd have it returned for some warranty work! NSG

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remove the old bead and clean off the threads on the bead and the hole in the rib. Mix upa little 5 minute epoxy and apply a little to the threads. Screw in the bead to the proper position and let dry. HMB

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Remove the bead and clean the threads, on both the bead and the rib, with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Let dry for a few minues. Place a small drop of Locktite (The blue colored if you're really concerned about removeal later on down the road) on the threads and screw in until it is positioned properly and let stand for a few hours.

Clear fingernail polish will work, but everyone will think you're a skeeter then. Lol.

ss

6. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I appreciate all the suggestions so far. The bead does look like it was glued fit since it turns so far to the left.

I like the ideal of 9 shot in the bottom to take up the extra space however I don't have any 9 shot with me. Will 8 shot be too large?

I also gave the 2 part epoxy ideal a thought before posting the thread however it may be very hard to remove if removal is ever necessary.

Technically I guess I should send the gun to Beretta since it's only was purchased in June. I hate to ship it off for such a small issue.

To date the thread locktite and clear fingernail polish is looking good. Any other ideals?

Dale

7. Mark Spears

Mark Spears Member

Dale, don't ship it off for that. I would not risk having something happen to my gun over a bead. Just clean out the threads with alcohol and apply the blue locktite.Knead the tube first as the ingredients seperate.

I have the same gun, I fixed it the same way and it has not moved in 2 years.

Mark

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Don't use red, it is forever.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Epoxy, glue, nail polish and similar adhesives will keep the sight in place and it can only be removed with a drill. Some shooters like to change the front sight now and then and if the sight is fastened with an adhesive, it will break when someone tries to remove it.

I would recommend the shot trick. Drop in a #8 shot and carefully tighten the sight. If the shot is too big, it can be made smaller with a file or sandpaper. A small piece of Teflon tape will also work as will a small ball of paper that we refereed to as a spit ball in the third grade. A wet spit ball can cause rust but Teflon tape will not. Work with great care. It is easy to break the head off of a front sight. I use a pin vice.

Pat Ireland

10. smokestack

smokestack Member

Dale, I had the same problem with my 682 and a drop of locktite has fixed it for the last 6 months. Paul

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 2 part epoxy breaks down when heat is applied. So if you ever want to remove the bead there will not be a problem. The heat heat can be applied with a soldering iron pressed against the rib where the threaded hole is located. HMB

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Loc-tite the threads and leave it sit overnight. It will still be holding long after your done shooting this gun and have traded it off.

Doug

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Or you can break of a piece of toothpick in place of shot, to take up the slack to get the bead lined up. Also using the blue locktite.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Doug- I thought you would suggest to file off 1/4 thread.

Pat Ireland

15. trapster100

trapster100 Member

The shoulder above the threads, that the bead seats on, should be filed.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

You seem a bite confused on this thread. How do you remove nail polish or adhesive with a drill? And filing off 1/4 thread will not change the orientation of the bead in this case. HMB

17. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

Another quick "trick" that works is to put a couple wraps of black sewing thread around the screw and tighten it down.
    OtH

18. andybull

andybull Active Member

You can file the shoulder that holds the bead until the bead lines up, or Locktite, acraglass, epoxy it. If you ever need to remove the glued in part, you can heat it with a solder gun. Make sure the solder tip is clean and free of solder. A torch will work if you are careful not to overheat the rib and have it come loose.

19. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Brownells does sell a special reaming tool that will allow you to remove material from the base of the bead. I only use it if I need to turn the bead 1/2 or less of a full turn.

If the bead....genrally a new one, has the threaded shaft too long, then yes, some of the thread will need to be filed off until the base is as close as possible to the rib, and pointed in the right direction.

As for the original posters problem, his bead turns slightly past the correct position when tightened. In this case, a drop of Loc-Tite will hold it in the correct position.

I use the red Loc-Tite threadlocker. I've never had a problem turning out a bead once it was installed. If the "RED" is used on a mid-bead, a little warming from a propane torch with soften the Loc-Tite and it can be removed.

A quick note---Perazzi mid-beads are permenantly pressed in. You'll break it before it comes out.

Doug

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- It is simple to remove an adhesive from a 1/32 inch hole with a drill. You put in a 1/16 inch bit. Of course the hole is then too large to put in the same sight but that is OK. When you removed the sight held in with the adhesive, you broke the shaft of the sight and it had to be drilled out along with the adhesive.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.