1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

From the collection - an uncommon rimfire handgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Walther P-38 in 5.6mm (.22 LR). The gun was made in 1969, and proofed in 1970. This is a complete gun, not a conversion kit retrofitted onto a 9mm receiver, though the parts will readily interchange. Very accurate, and very reliable. Note the slide says 22 Lr and the magazine says 5.6mm.

I used to carry my S&W Model 41 when hunting, but this gun is almost as accurate and weighs considerably less. It is not in mint condition. It was well used when I bought it, and I've put a lot of hard use on it in the last two decades.

I should probably get the upper refinished, but I use it so much that I just don't want to have it away that long.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Brian. What do you use that gun for? Admittedly, I am not a game hunter, but what use does a 22LR pistol do for you?

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In Louisianna they hunt Gators with them

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Jack, maybe he shoots cans with it??

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I carried a .22 pistol all the time rabbit hunting.

Damn beagles won't come when you call them, but if they hear a shot they come running.

HM

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I used to carry a .22LR pistol religiously when i was trapping. We would set leg hold traps in the creeks. Often at night the water level would drop leaving the coon high and dry foot in trap and pe'od. Pull the Hi Standard M-101 .22LR and problem solved. Snakes come to mind also but harder to hit with round nose ammo. Note the old RedHead leather holster.---Matt

[​IMG]

Does the hard life show on her?

7. willing

willing Member

Rabbits sit tight after a rain. Pop them while they're sitting. I was a meat hunter.

Bill

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    MIA, I use it for rabbits and squirrels, especially while carrying a centerfire rifle, which would obliterate good meat. Also carry it sometimes while varmint hunting, just to keep in practice. Rimfire rifles and handguns are also legal for mountain grouse here, commonly found while deer hunting. I use a rimfire handgun enough for hunting that I'm having a Browning Buckmark target model threaded for a suppressor. I'll post pics of it when it's done. That will really keep it quiet in the woods so as not to spook deer.

Matt, a friend of mine had exactly that model of High Standard Duramatic, the one with the knob underneath to change barrels. (Another version had a plunger in front of the frame.) He had both a 4" and a 6" barrel for it. That gun was my first experience with shooting any handgun. We shot a lot of tin cans and varmints with it. It was utterly reliable, and reasonably accurate for what it was. I think it was in a flap holster, but all I really remember now is the gun itself. This was 35 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.