1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

From sea to shining sea on a bike

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by brots, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brots

brots TS Member

I am one proud grandpa. My granddaughter completes her 31 day bike ride she started in San Francisco, Ca at Ormond Beach, Fl. She was unable to interest any others to join her so the entire trip was made alone, from the Pacific ocean to the Atlantic ocean. She had hoped to raise individual charitable contributions approaching $40,000.00 for the Shriners Hospitals, but so far the Shriners report they have only received $5,000.00. Obviously, it was a brave effort which has failed her expectations. She is emotionly indebted to the 30 Shriners, church members, hospital personel and friends who provided her a place to sleep, supper and breakfast. She had lousy weather the whole 4000 trip.

Lauren Leffler is her name and she graduates from Medical school next week. Her residency in Pediatric Orthopedics will take 6 years at that great Shriners Hospital in Greenville, Sc.

Wesley Fink (Papa Augie)

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

What a great achievement! That sounds like a tough ride. I'm thinking of doing it next year on a motorcycle. I couldn't imagine trying it on a bicycle.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Many many moons ago I rode a bicycle some pretty good distances, but nothing like that. My hat's off to that young lady on a job well done! I wish her well during residency.

brots,

I'd say you got a good reason to be proud.

ss

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Wow! What can I say. That is just great!

I know my rear end couldn't endure that abuse.

Kudos to her for a job well done.

Hauxfan!

5. GSPBirdDog

GSPBirdDog TS Member

Hey wesley!
    You have an amazing grandaughter and you should be extremely proud of her!She should also be proud of herself for commiting to do what she is doing despite all the hardships along the way!This is what true americans are all about..and grandaughter is one indeed!!!

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

She sounds like an amazing woman. Is there an address where a person could send a donation to the Shriners, and get it credited to her project?

7. brots

brots TS Member

Pocotello; I apologize for omiting the following address to receive donations. Any amount will be appreciated and very much needed. Just write "bike across America" on the memo line if you wish to send a check.

Shriners Hospitals for Children
    2900 Rocky Point Drive
    Tampa, Fl 33607

My post was only intended announce Laurens achivement, not to solicit very much needed donations. Wes

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Wes,

When my Mom was a kid, she received some critical treatment at a Shriner's hospital. I imagine if they had not been there for her, I would not be here today. You can be sure I will send a check in Lauren's name.

Larry

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was going to say I've been there and done that, until I read the whole story. My bike said "Yamaha" on it and I did it purely for self enjoyment. My salute to your grand daughter. She has a wonderful heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.