1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

From Double Release to Release/Pull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

Some shooters have gone to a Double Release trigger after trying a Release/Pull but what about the other way around ? At age 72 I'm having a problem with the 2nd bird in Doubles and am just about ready to save money by quitting Doubles altogether. My 2nd barrel trigger sets at about 80 oz and goes off at 32 oz and seems too fast for me but there is no trigger smith within 1000 miles of here. In my mind I would like to do the Big Leo U shaped dip of the barrels after the first shot but many many years of muscle memory shooting at the 2nd bird by swinging straight across instead of DOWN and UP makes a Poke & Hope method very unsatisfactory. I have pretty good trigger control with a slower release trigger for Singles and Handicap but the gun often goes off too soon on the 2nd bird of Doubles. Suggestions ??

2. j2jake

j2jake Active Member

Suggestion, go to a skeet range and go to station 8. Stand there and practice shooting skeet doubles untill you get used to the double release. It helped me quite a bit. No I am not a skeet shooter, although I do shoot with the buds once in a while. Hope this helps and good luck, Jake

3. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I currently shoot a pull trigger but have shot a double release and absolutely loved it. I don't have a flinch but wanted to try a release and found that I really liked it. I switched back to a pull on the advice of Leo but its nice to know I can shoot one. It was actually harder to go back to a pull then to go to a release. I was taught to set the trigger for the second shot as soon as the gun recoiled before moving to the second bird. Always worked for me.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jake.that sta 8 deal... sounds like a winner. I might try that. I am R/P now and just coming back to dubs. I thinnk tht exercise would work as a doubles trainer for many thatstruggle. I'll try it.

5. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Contact Gary Roman Louisville Kentucky ... top notch with making the trigger do what you want it to do ... I can not handle a fast trigger at 69 ... he slowed the trigger down for me ... trying to shoot a gun with a death grip on the trigger does not make for good scores ... and he will not rip you off like some of these guys do ... Google him and give him a call

6. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

Thanks to all who replied to this thread including the private messages. I have removed the release hook for my 2nd barrel and the trigger functions quite well as a Release/Pull so I will give this a fair trial. Gunsmith options are more difficult when you live in Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.