1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FrogLube CLP - Anyone using it ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Jun 18, 2013.

1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Am curious if anyone here uses / used this gun cleaner / lubricant ?

I read good things about it, but am interested in any thoughts or experience.

Thanks in advance.

Gene in Illinois

2. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

I use all three. Love it. Seems better the STOS. IMHO.

3. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I have used it for several years..... I would suggest you give it a try. You will not be disappointed.... Larry

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

It sure does smell nice.

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I've used various brands of CLP's on my shotguns and pistols. I don't think Froglube is better or worse as far as protection goes.

The advantage is it makes my guns smell minty fresh, my wife doesn't object to cleaning guns in the kitchen anymore and it does come in a paste as well as a liquid which makes it convenient.

Oh yeah. My hands clean up much easier and don't get dried out.

6. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

My Colt Gold Cup started to stovepipe awhile back. So I stripped it down and applied Break Free which I'd been doing for years. Also checked the extractor and ejector and they where fine. Still would get a stovepipe every now and then with full power ball ammo.
    A friend who shoots in AR15 matches, suggested Frog Lube. I thought what the hell do I have to loose. I got the grease and oil in small containers in case it didn't do any good. Cleaned the gun and then finished up with alcohol.
    Applied the Frog Lube and then took the heat gun to it as recommended. Reassembled the 1911 and went to the range. I noticed while racking the slide it felt much smoother but felt it was my brain playing tricks on me. Shot a hundred rounds of my normal 45acp load. No problems what so ever.
    Being a skeptic I thought it could not have been the Frog Lube. So I take the gun home and clean and apply the Frog Lube as recommended. That was 2 months ago and have since put another 250 rounds through her. No problems. I've since put it on two other semi auto's and one wheel gun.
    I have noticed that the guns stay cleaner longer and the time spent cleaning is less using the Frog Lube. Why the stuff seems to work so well is beyond me. It's not a petroleum based product.
    On my Trap Combo I still use STOS, force of habit I guess.
    Mike C.

7. Avatar

I use Breakfree CLP. Has anyone compared that to Froglube?

8. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

If you look at my post it will give you some idea.
    Break Free is what I'd been using for years.
    Tried the Frog Lube and was better.
    Mike C.

9. Trapduster

Trapduster Member

where do you buy the frog lube? thanks in advance Larry

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Trapduster:

Brownells has it. But if you buy on the FrogLube website, they donate a portion of their profits to Troops Direct and the Navy Seal Foundation.

Gene in Illinois

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"My Colt Gold Cup started to stovepipe awhile back. .... Applied the Frog Lube and ....No problems what so ever. Being a skeptic I thought it could not have been the Frog Lube. So I take the gun home and clean and apply the Frog Lube as recommended. That was 2 months ago and have since put another 250 rounds through her. No problems. "

No doubt, something changed.

If you were REALLY a skeptic, you'd degrease it, reapply some Breakfree and see if the problem returns. Yes or no, that would nail it. You really understand a malfunction when you can make it come and go.

12. Trapduster

Trapduster Member

thanks gene Larry

13. Avatar

I'll have to try some Froglube. Wonder where they got that name? Well, makes it easy to remember.

14. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

A friend recently purchased a Kreighoff and after approx 2500 rounds the "hinge" was stiff enough upon opening the gun it caused him some concern. For grins and giggles we applied a bit of the Froglube to the area. An instant change. It works as advertised. I use it on my AR's, the use of the product on the slide makes my wife's Kimber Custom Carry easy for her to pull the slide. I use it on the reel of my fly rod. It works and lasts. The original poster was curious about the product.... It works, he would not be disappointed..... Larry

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I got some and used it on one brand new pistol (Springfield XDS). Shot it today; haven't cleaned it yet.

It smells 'minty' as some have said; almost reminds me of Pepto-Bismol.

Will try it on my Kolar this week.

Gene in Illinois

16. mflora

mflora Member

I tried a new CLP recently, Safari Charleys, and was very pleased. Much cheaper.
    Mark