1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Friends???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Express, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Express

Express TS Member

Several years ago, I had an opportunity to buy several pallets of shot at a very good price. I tried to get several shooters to go in on the deal, but at that time, shot was not that expensive, and I was unable to find any takers. Now with the price through the roof, all the people I orignally asked are now willing to take the shot off my hands at the same price I purchased it for. When I mentioned what the current price of shot is, they look at me like I am some type of thief.
    I have enough shot for the next couple of years unless I sell it. Do you think these people deserve any type of discount?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Absolutely not. As Duck above said you took the risk and expenditure they didn't.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

no way,i would sell for the current per pound market price though

Bill

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I would say, given the current pricing, that you should keep your shot. You laid out the money, and have lost interest on what money that you would have had to invest. They should understand that, and maybe next time that they have an opportunity they might think twice.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

If the shot price would have dropped to $8.00/bag due to some strange world event, do you think they would be willing to buy it from you for $25.00 or whatever price you paid? Don't think so.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Nope...they are not your friend(s). Never were, never will be!

Curt

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

With friends like that, you certainly don't need any enemies. lol

It's your shot. Hang on to it, shoot it, or whatever, but don't sell it to anyone below market value.

Hauxfan!

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

express, I would also say "SOL" to those friends that originally had the offering! They allowed your investment to sit idle until the present time when your investment appreciated substantially.

Since it appears obvious that you need a new set of friends and since I did not have the opportunity to buy at the time of the original purchase, it seems only fair to let me buy have the shot at the present time at original cost and thus you will be making a new friend :) However if this arrangement seems unfair we can still be friends.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Back when shot and shells started to escalate in price, I bought over a ton of shot, some of it at $14.75 a bag and some at $17.50 a bag. I also bought 18 flats of STS shells at $48.50 each. I've politely decided some offers from shooters because if I sell any, it will just be that much sooner that I'll be faced with who knows how much for replacements.

You made what turned out to be a wise decision - enjoying the fruits of that decision would either be using the goods yourself to shoot at a savings or, if you elected to quit shooting, selling them at some level of profit. Anything else is unfair to you.

Ed

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

these are not friends, they are acquaintenances! my father had an old saying years ago, the only true friend that you can count on in life is your pocket book. he said consider yourself lucky if you can find one true friend in life. most people are acquaintenances. he also told me, f--- all but 6, someday you will need them for pallbearers, in my case i might need a couple corner men too. when you ask most people for help, they will scatter like marbles hitting a table. you know what to do!
    steve balistreri

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another resounding NO! From the other side of the coin, I might ask a buddy who had wisely bought as you did if he'd consider selling some below the current price but well above what he paid but I'd not be insulted if he said, "No, I must consider the replacement cost today." ....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You handled it wrong.<br>
    <br>
    You should have simply said that the current batch of lead is available but at a higher price, and leave it at that.<br>
    <br>
    The problem is some people seem to think a price quote is good for the next decade.

13. Express

Express TS Member

I went out to shoot yesterday and I was offered "DOUBLE" of what I paid which is far less than the market price. After politely declining the offer, it looks like I will need to find new people to shoot with. I guess next time I find a deal, I'll have to keep it to myself. I think me may have read this tread
    The joys of trapshooting

Thanks for listening

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Express, Those people were really never your friends to start with. Merely acquaintances.

Hauxfan!

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Have any of these "friends" ever shared a good deal with you?

Have they ever done some work on your gun at below cost?

Have they taken time to help you work through a problem?

If the answer is NO - then why have they suddenly become "friends"?

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.