1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Friends that return borrowed stuff broken

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have lots and lots of stuff. I've been in the auto repair business most of my life and now the gun and outboard biz and I find myself becoming the local tool crib for some of the local doit yursefers. The other day I loaned out a rather expensive torque wrench and got it back in pieces. This sort of thing happens quite a bit and if it's something with a lifetime warranty, not usually a big deal, but that's not always the case.

Some people need to buy tools. There, I said it and it's off my chest.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

neither a lender nor a borrower be

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

%?!X$! Count yourself lucky that you even got the damn thing back.!X%X Makes me want to cuss everytime somebody wants to borrow a tool. I lent two saws out to a woman friend's son while he was remodeling. That was a couple of years ago. Had a few drinks one night and called the miserable sob up and asked where they were. He lost em, when me moved to his new house.

Neighbor borrowed a chainsaw once. Brought it back with the chain off, and rope pull starter broke.

Go buy your own damn tools, and if you don't want to do that - well that is what rental stores are for.

Dam Tron, you got me all fired up this morning. I know what you mean.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Tron:
    My best friend in life is one that he never saw anything I have that he didn't like. At first, when I have lent him things, some came back broken. Finally I said, "I'm not Sears, that you can return items broken". I have a new policy for friends, neighbors, and relatives. I am like Blockbuster video now. You will sign a paper that you borrowed the item. I have a return date on this paper, as well if it is broken a replacement cost.

You may laugh but this cuts down on broken items, and cuts down on people asking me to borrow stuff to them. When they ask if I am serious, I reply "very serious, sign the paper, or hit the road Jack!.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Politely tell the potential borrower "NO, I would like to lend this, but my income and business reputation depends on these tools, and I cannot risk not having it in my shop when I need it to complete a job for a PAYING customer."

You can also be a dick like me, and say "NAPA sells them every day."

Russ - not making many friends - in - Pa.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Had a guy ask to borrow my 4x4 john deere and bush hog once... yeah.. right.. loaned out a aluminum extension ladder once.. it came back 4' shorter.. some how the guy tore up the ladder so he just sawed off the tore up part and brought it back..

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The rest of the quote "neither a lender nor a borrower be" is: "for loan oft loses itself and friend".

Someone, whose spouse worked with my wife, asked her if they could borrow my timing light. She loaned it to them. Never saw it again but it was so long after the fact that I was looking for it, we couldn't remember who it was that borrowed it....and that was before we were "seniors".

Now the only tools I loan are to my kids. I therefore know that if I can't find something in the shop I only have to make two calls to find it.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Tron,

I too am like you.

I have 'solved' the issue in two steps.

First, I actually keep a record of who has what - a pain before computers, but I just keep a document with name, item, date loaned.

Second, I NEVER loan a tool without stating up front - 'you break it - you buy it.'

Ofen said half joking, but always with a witness to back it up.

When an item is returned broken I make a big issue of getting it to the appropriate repair shop (even if I could repair it myself) and advise the culprit of where it is, how much it will be, and when to pick it up and return it to me.

One of two things happens. They either learn their lesson and take better care of the tools, or they stop borrowing items from me.

I think this is better in that it tends to stop the loss of friends while keeping the door open to help them at the same time.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I loaned a paint sprayer to my brother-in-law and it came back in a non-working order. When I ask him about it his reply was that I shouldn't have loaned it to him. Now he can't understand why I'm so selfish because I won't loan him anything else. Always someone else's fault, not their own. lol

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I had to buy three guys that work me for tool sets for Christmas so I could find a screw driver when I needed one.

Finally bought my brother in law a weed eater so I have one, even has line and gas when I go to use it now.

What gets me is these types make you feel like an ASS when you finally blow and ask for your stuff back. ( they say stuff like sheeesh what wrong with you? It was safe in my garage.}

Loaned a cousin a spare cement mixer, after two months I call him about it, He said "damn I forgot all about it" he just left it on the jobsite were he laid some brick for a guy. His truck was broke so I had to drive 30 miles to pick it up, it was half full of very cured mortar. (he treats his tools the same way, I found a level, trowel and brick hammer lying in the snow, there mine now.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I am happy to say I am blessed with a great bunch of friends and neighbors and we are able to loan items and trade labor with great results.

I installed some 3/4 oak hardwood floor in our house this winter and I could not have done it without the help of some great friends. One friend loaned me a $600 bostich floor nailer and another friend said "don't worry about buying staples, I have enough left over to do your job".

I saved more than $2,000 by installing myself. Tried to give these guys $50 each to take their families out to eat and neither of them would accept it.

My next door neighbor has a nice shop with tablesaw, bandsaw, router table, jointer, planer, the works. He allowed me to use his entire shop over several days time to complete the flooring project. His 15 year old router died on me so I went to Sears and bought him a new one. He said he hopes I remodel my whole house because he has several more old tools he needs replaced -:))

I took a break during the flooring job to go help another friend shingle his house. 6 of us donated a day and a half of labor and tools and saved him $3-4,000 over hiring a crew to do it. They would do the same for me.

Praise God for great friends!

12. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Tumble weed, I wish I lived in your neighborhood. Seems like I wind up helping the beighbors all the time, but when I need some help every one is busy or all of a sudden has somewhere that they need to be.

Bob

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, this brings back a couple formerly bad memories. I say formerly because it's been a long time and they're kind of funny now.

1) I once loaned a friend a set of Two Cherries wood chisels (the only ones I had), which he lost, and then "replaced" with a new set of Craftsman ones. I think he thought he was doing me a favor. Now, if you happen to be a woodworker, you know that that's like losing somebody's Perazzi and taking them back a shiny new Remington. When I broke it to him that he owed me $200 he said, "Why the hell would you trust an @sshole like me with a set of $200 chisels!!?", LOL. We worked something out and avoided hard feelings.

2) A coworker once asked to accompany me to the dragstrip to watch me race my motorcyle. On the way there he convinced me that he was an experienced rider and asked if he could take my other (roadracing) bike for a run down the strip. We had it on the trailer already anyway, and he seemed super excited about it, so I said sure. I warned him that it was kind of powerful and gave him a few pointers on how to launch. He dismissed my comments with a, "Don't worry, I know what I'm doing." Well, the tree came down, he dumped the clutch, and the back of his head smacked off the asphalt while his feet were still on the footpegs. It took him a while, but he paid off the damage.

-Gary

14. bucrub

bucrub TS Member

Tumbleweed, Good for you for having neighbors like yours. I also have neighbors that are always willing to help and will loan you anything they own. We have mutual understandings of "if it is broken while in your possession, repair or replace at your expense". There has never been any problems and it makes for the keeping of good neighbors. ps: At times we even check with one another to see if one owns a tool we may be thinking of buying, if so, it saves us all money.

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I learned a long time ago the people who want to borrow are the LAST people you want to loan anything to. Those of us who are productive and responsible have sacrificed to have those tools or whatever. The people who want to borrow are irresponsible slobs who generally live the good life, enjoying whatever good life means to them, instead of going without so they might enjoy owning nice tools or whatever. The very fact they want to borrow automatically identifies them as selfish, irresponsible slobs whose morality, or lack thereof, has no problem with using up the stuff YOU sacrificed for while they continue to live the good life and don't even have the minimal courtesy to take care of and return the things they borrow. Once I figured this out I decided I was under no moral obligation to explain myself or defend myself to these immoral people. That's when I decided I have no problem simply lying to them when they ask to borrow. Nope, don't have one, sorry.

16. VietVet

VietVet TS Member

I make it easy. For 48 years I put bread on the table with tools that I bought and paid for. Under no circumstances will I loan tools to anyone with the exception of my toolmaker brother or electronic technician father-in-law. I just tell people with no lying or beating around the bush or trying to be politically correct, that I have a standing tradition to not loan tools. If someone gets angry or upset, TFB. Sears, Home Despot, Lowe's, etc. sell plenty of tools. BTW, my wife knows it's a divorce offense if she lends anyone my tools ;-}

17. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

You need a sign " The Guy who lends tools is not here"

I have used this sign for the last 30 years with excellent results

Could add " the guy who lends guns is not here" too

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

One more thought on the subject and then I'll shut up.

I trust that everyone that has a "no loan" policy for their personal tools would never think of ever asking to borrow single thing from anyone. Just remember that the shop door swings both ways.

19. wm rike

wm rike Member

Not broken, but the last time I loaned anything of value was a gun, and this about 30 years ago. We were shooting skeet and decided to switch to trap. My Dad's friend was not packing a trap gun, so I loaned him an SKB I was carrying as a back-up. You always carry a back-up, right? First thing, the friend opens the gun and then slams it closed so hard he can't open it. He hands it back to me and says it doesn't work right, he doesn't want to use it. Shot trap without his sorry ass.

20. Agitator

Agitator TS Member

About 5 years ago I loaned a 'friend' a Mec 650 loader and a Lachmiller shell saver, which I took to his home. Called him 6 months ago 4 times and asked him to return it, FINALLY he said "your dammed loader will be on my front step". I asked if he were going to return it, "Nope". So I went to get it, in the rain, there it was covered up in a bread wrapper on the porch. I have a new policy, "I don't loan tools, loading equipment, money, vehicles or my wife, in that order"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

friend returned it broken