1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fried bologna sandwitch

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by finger, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finger

finger TS Member

For those of you who have asked. Either raw or fried is fine but a proper bologna sandwich is made from the following:

White bread,Bologna, butter, peanut butter, honey. The bread can be toasted or fresh. If honey is not available either grape jam or strawberry preserves can be substituted. Good seeded Rye bread also works but is non traditional.

If your sweet tooth is not acting up then it is white bread, bologna, good cheese (your choice) a bit of lettuce, butter and last but not least Durkees Famous Sauce.

I grew up on bologna with peanut butter and honey. Never did fry the stuff when I was a kid. Makes me hungry thinking about it. I just had some ring bologna (cooked on the grill) for lunch sans bread and peanut butter tho. bob finger

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Glad to see you made it through the winter Bob, Hope all is well. I love Bologna fried well with onions fried well with scrambled eggs for Breakfast!! Jeff

3. mike b.

mike b. Member

Forget all the sweet stuff and put some 3/4 " slices of vine ripened tomatoes on it. Heaven!

4. gotbass

gotbass Member

bologna, catsup and toasted raisen bread. Alway grossed out the guy I was fishing with, never get soggy and mmmmgoood.

5. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Bologna, white bread, yellow mustard..No need to fry it that I know of..Mizzou

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I believe that Tom T. Hall had a song about a prisoner eating fried bologna and gravy fixed by the jailer’s wife three times a day. After about a month, he got to looking forward to it.

7. starship

starship TS Member

He also started thinking the jailers wife didn't look as bad as he first thought.

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

"A Week in a Country Jail." Hot Balony, eggs and gravy. I'm listening to it right now.

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

For Breakfast: Fried Bologna with pancakes. Pancakes are dry but I put the Syrup on the Bologna. For Lunch: Fried Bologna (crispy) with Let, Tom, Cheese, DRY on Fresh Wonder Bread. Can't beat it. I'm a Lefty thats half Polish, half Italian. Dave T.

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

GOOD GRIEF.......what's in bologna????........isn't it just "PARTS".

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

How about a Pennsylvania oddity....Lebanon bologna. Lebanon, chedder cheese, brown mustard, white bread.....umm....good.

There must be some Pennsylvanians in the central San Joaquin Valley besides me. The Vons store in Visalia sells Seltzers Lebanon Bologna. It helps with the homesickness.

12. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Fried. Must be cut in thirds. Not all the way. American cheese. DUKES mayo!
    White bread....Wonder if you have it!

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

White Oak steak, it does a body good !!!

14. RBur

RBur TS Member

Harlan Campbell turned me on to Fried Bologna Sandwichs with Onions and Mayo.

I believe the main ingredents are Tits,Tails & Touchholes.

Ron Burdick

15. finger

finger TS Member

Dixie Special: You gave away the secret to my second favorite meal. Liverworst and Onion on Rye. I put honey on that one too, rather than mustard but will eat it with mustard if that is how it comes.

I know I'm crazy but I also like fried Spam and eggs for breakfast.

Those of you who ask, Bologna is nothing more than hot dogs in a bigger casing with some other spices, or not, depending on your supplier. If you ever get the opportunity to see it made be prepared to not want to eat it for at least a month unless you were raised on a farm and killed your own hogs. I used to drive by the Oscar Mayer plant in Madison Wi almost every day...the aroma was something else. Then a few blocks further down and the bread company aroma made you really hungry for a sandwich.

Lebanon and its cousin Sweet Lebanon are very different. Excellent in their own right but very different.

Now if you want to become an expert go to Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin, and buy Bologna from different makers and compare. Also compare ring bologna (my favorite) to the sandwich variety we all buy from Oscar Mayer. When you are done there find a good german sausage maker and ask for some Mettwurst. I'd rather eat that than a good rare fine aged steak. bob finger

16. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Best ever bologna sandwich is at South Boston Speedway, South Boston, VA. Big thick chunk of bologna, thick slice of red onion, grilled on a soft bun.

17. kolar-bkpt

kolar-bkpt TS Member

Zwiegles all beef, sliced .075 to .125 thick, cut in half & fried. Fresh french bread sliced hoagie style. French's mustard, stacked .375 to .5" thick. Cheese optional. Heaven...

Gary

18. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Taystee white bread, five medium slices fried, Miracle Whip on the bread, Cheetos, bread and butter pickles, Barq's Cream Soda (or Big Red). Topped off with a package of Hostess Cupcakes.

Doesn't get any better.

Best,
    Dennis

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Bologna = Lips and A$$holes...but good!

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The trick to cooking good fried bologna is to cut from the center out to end and throw on grill. When its cooked it will look like a pizza with a slice removed. Cook up 4 slices with cheese and throw on a some toasted bread. Its soooooo goooooddd. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.