1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

## FRESH CUT -- FRENCH WALNUT -- WOOD LOVERS ONLY!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ljutic73, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

nice stuff!!....3 years drying time???

2. ljutic73

Might I inquire, Jerry as to where the trees grew that yieded these blanks??

Ron Burr

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can the drying process be hurried by artificial means for some woods, not necessarily this wood?

4. ljutic73

All the real wood officianados have always said AIR DRY ONLY...no kilns!!! I defer to Ernie Paulsen of Chinook Mt.(any of you Mt. posters know if he's still alive??)who I've bought a lot of wood from over the years and he bought all his North American gunwood green cut and air dried it in his grain quonset for a minimum of 3 years....the only way to assure quality he said and I believe him.

5. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Woodworker weighing in on the dring issue. Kilns for 2" thick lumber have a poor return. That being said, I hope you end sealed this wood immediately! If not, you will start getting checking almost immediately. Personally, I've never handled this type of walnut before but if it anything like American Walnut, seal it with some good end wood sealer ASAP! Woodturning websites will be one of the better sights for drying crooked grain thick wood as that is their preferred medium. IF it were me, a vacuum kiln setup would be the the preferred method of drying. Could be ready to use in a matter of months if done properly with a very high yield rate. Almost as good as air drying.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

hammer-time- I can answer one small question you. American Walnut, California Walnut, English Walnut, Turkish Walnut, etc. are from the same species of tree grown in different places.

You correctly emphasized the importance of immediately sealing the wood to help reduce, not totally prevent, cracking. That is important.

Pat Ireland

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

A stock made of french walnut will leave you standing on the line while it retreats and surrenders to all the other stocks.

I sure wish that other wood guy was around, his stuff was slightly better that what Jerry has but Jerry's stuff is alright to look at.

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Dont worry your stuff is alright to look at but it is far from being anything I would care to actually see in person unless you could bring it by my cell here at the facility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.