1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

French Grey receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I would like to change my blused San Remo to Nitrate but can't find anyone to do it.

I have found someone to do French Grey, or Coin finish....
    What would be closest to the Nitrate look, and be best with the San Remo engraving.??..

I'm looking for something that looks factory.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

French Grey is no finish- dont do that

I have a couple of people involved when I do this--

One thing you need to make sure of is that the engraving is sharp- if it isnt - you need to have someone touch it up- I have an engraver that does that

Regardless- Pat of Pats gunsmithing has done this with me a number of times- he disassembles and reassembles and then sends the metal out to be nitrided.

Give Pat a call and tell him I said he had done this and can help you

Pat's Gun Repair
    495 9th Street SW
    Wells, MN 56097-1424

Phone: (507) 553-5730
    Fax: (507) 553-3657
    Toll Free: (866) 414-2873
    email@patsgunrepair.com

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I had Tony DeSimone do three triggers, two receivers, two forend irons and two top levers. He does not do the actual plating but he did an impeccable job of preparing the metal for plating. I let Tony handle the plating process with the plater. Mine is slightly darker that the plating that Perazzi uses and I prefer mine to the factory.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If it is plated it is not nitrided

nitride is not plating at alll- doesnt change the dimensions of the reciever

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS and of course you can send it to ottsville to go back to Germany for nitriding

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gene is correct. French gray is a controlled oxidation of the surface. It is not a thin plate that is added to the surface. The finish is very nice for some styles of engraved guns. It does not offer a lot of protection of the metal. That is done by keeping the surface lightly oiled.

The process of oxidation can be accomplished by using diluted nitric acid. A very similar finish can be accomplished with a few coats of "cold blue" and then hand rubbing off most of the color with fine steel wool.

Pat Ireland

6. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Krieghoff used what they called a coin finish before they went to nitride. The coin was not a very durable finish. I sent 2 K-80's back to Germany after the coin showed wear and had them nitride the finish which turned out very well.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Whew, you guys are talking guns, there for a moment (I misread the subject matter) I thought you were talking about a french shooter who was light in his loafers!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

french gray receiver

french grey a shotgun receiver

how to french grey a gun receiver