1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Freightliner - Sport Chassis -- RV Hauler

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Argentina, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argentina

Argentina TS Member

I currently am pulling a 40 foot -- 5th wheel camper with a Dodge 2500 equipped with a Cummins 6.7 engine. Pulling the camper is NO PROBLEM with this set up.

However recently I have become concerned about being able to stop this rig safely and efficiently.

I am considering upgrading to a Freightliner Sport Chassis as a tow vehicle, or another tow vehicle by a different manufactor that is as capable as the Freightliner.

I need advice from fellow trap shooters with experience with this type of Tow Vehicle. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Also what can I expect to pay for this type tow vehicle and where to buy.

Thanks,

Juston Trimback

2. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Argentina, I run a 2000 FL60 like what you're asking about. Don't know what you're looking to spend, but deals are out there on the extended cab models and the manual transmissions. To the tune of 20k less than a comparable crewcab with the allison. Mine has the 3126 cat @250hp and I couldn't be happier. Get between 9.5 and 11 pulling heavy horse trailers. The newer it is the more it costs obviously, but the pre 2003 trucks will be more reliable due to emission crapola. These trucks can be as loaded as you want or barebones. I have heard good and bad on the trucks with the mercedes engines. Make sure it has an airride suspension and cab. Also some of the "fancy" looking seats don't feel as nice after a thousand mile day as the plainer work seats.

3. skeetfield

skeetfield Member

Stay with the Dodge, for the money you can't beat it. Just make sure the trailer brakes are working and drive it a half million miles.

4. triplea

triplea TS Member

I had a 2001 FL60 Sport Chassis, bright yellow, w3126 Cat. Air ride and all the toys. Loved it. I bought it for the brakes, used it 4 years and then traded up to Class A. They cost more to maintain but I was used to that from owning class,7 and 8 trucks.

David Proper

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I just sold my Sport Chassis Freightliner, only because I also sold my fifth wheel.
    When you tow with one of these, you will never want a pickup truck again to tow with.
    I really do have to look back and make sure my camper is still there behind this truck. 330 HP. Mercedes with 6 spd Allison tranny, like no other combo ever built for towing, and very comfortable too!
    Buy one and I personally guarantee you will not be disappointed!
    My 2 cents!
    Rooferbob
    [​IMG]

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

The new RAM 3500 can pull 30,000 lbs. Has high strength steel frame and huge brakes. 875 lbs of torque! and factory 5th wheel available.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm not a 5th wheel guy but younger brother pulls a (I think) 37'er with a Dodge crew cab with the Cummins diesel & loves it, last I knew he was over 125,000 miles and the only repair was a water pump. which of course chose the worst place it could find to crap out, don't they all pick that type of place ????? So I would bet he will buy another Dodge when the time comes. Ross Puls

8. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Lugnutz, don't know where you got your tow data for the new Ram but it isn't anywhere close to 30k. Dodge website puts it right around 12k.

9. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

With any of the one ton trucks you are gaining dual use, but sacrifice weight handling and the ride. With the bigger trucks you sacrifice the dual use, but gain weigh thandling, stopping power, longevity and a better ride.

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

YAKI, YOU MUST HAVE LOOKED AT A 1500. NEW 3500 RAM PULLS 30,000 LBS

SEE THE MOTOR TREND ARTICLE LINK ABOVE AMONG OTHERS. BEATS 4500 FORD SUPERDUTY AND THE CHEVY BY 6000 LBS!

11. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

I have a 2006 Dodge ram 3500 that I pulled my work trailer to the shoots for 3 years about 50,000 miles it worked good pulling the trailer that weighs 18,000 lbs. Then two years ago I got a 1995 Ford F700, it has the 5.9 Cummins and a 5 speed Allison. It wont pull as fast as the Dodge but when I want to stop it stops. The Ford dose not ride as smooth as the Dodge but being able to stop in a emergency makes up for the ride. Last year coming down Forth of July Pass in the north west I lost the brakes on the trailer and I was able to stop with the brakes on the truck. I know if I was in the Dodge I probably not be here to write this now.
    I paid 18,000.00 for my ford F700,there are nicer trucks than mine, but the nicer they are the more they cost. I get 8 to 10 miles a gallon with mine. It does not matter if you are pulling or not.

Phillip Crenwelge

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Phil, you made a wise choice in going to the F700. Pulling is one thing, but people do not take into consideration stopping safely and in panic situations. You were lucky pulling 18,000 lbs with a 1 ton. I was a new car dealer for 35 years as well as a Freightliner and GM Medium duty truck dealer and I can't tell you how many times a person would come in to buy a truck that was not appropriate for the load they wanted to carry.

13. Argentina

Argentina TS Member

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. The Dodge I currently tow with does a great job pulling....I couldn't imagine it doing any better....but when I need to STOP...I want to be able to do so and live to tell about it.

Any ideas on where to find a great deal would be appreciated.

Juston Trimback

14. Argentina

Argentina TS Member

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. The Dodge I currently tow with does a great job pulling....I couldn't imagine it doing any better....but when I need to STOP...I want to be able to do so and live to tell about it.

Any ideas on where to find a great deal would be appreciated.

Juston Trimback

15. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Argentina, Keep an eye out on craigslist and ebay. Found mine and my dad's fl60's on there. Also the Internationals and the 330-335 petes are good trucks as well. The sport Chassis size is the only truck market I have seen where people seem to prefer the shakers the petes and KW. Also a single screw road tractor would not be out of line under a 40' camper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cheap toy hauler freightliner sportchassis

dodge 1 ton rv hauler
freightliner camper hauler
freightliner pulling new horizon camper

freightliner rv hauler

freightliner sport chassis forum

freightliner toy hauler

used freightliner hauler