1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Free trap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bear2, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bear2

bear2 TS Member

Has anyone offersd free trap shooting for kids?Thinking of having a Saturday shoot free for new trapshooters and 1.50 for everyone else.(5 round max)I know that they must be 12 yrs old to shoot,but is there any other "bad stuff" that we should be aware of.Parents must be there to supervise.We do have plenty of shooters willing to help and give instuctions on safty.We are trying to encourage new shooters and have a fun day.Losing money is not a concern.But wanted any other pitfalls to be addressed before we do this.
    Thanks
    Barry
    Weedsport Rod and Gun Club

2. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

I hope it goes good for you we need more of this. I like trap but skeet is my main sport. Lets get the kid's in to the game any game trap or skeet.
    Matt Stevsnon

3. 3357

3357 Member

Our club has a "family day" advertised in local newspaper, one Sunday each month in June, July, and August. 1 to 5 pm. Unlimited targets and instruction: $10 for single persons, $20 for a family. We have loaner Remington 870s, 12 gauge (full size) and 20 gauge (youth size) and sell shells for $5 a box. Eye/ear protection provided.

It is amazing the number of Single mothers with daughters that attend. And come back for more. We also have good turn out by whole families. They consistantly advise that they have been curious about the shooting sports but were intimidated to show up at regular shoot nights as a novice and appreciated a day set aside for people with no experiance.

We stress safety and have a lot of competant instructors for one on one and/or small (family group) instruction. We open a skeet field, a trap field and have an outers trap set up so that no matter what it takes everybody breaks some targets before they go home.

After they learn about the differant shotgun disciplines and break some targets it is a pleasure to hear them realize that firearms do have recreational value, are a lot of fun,and not just instruments of black death as reportd by the media.

Based on our experiance I would recomend giving it a try. Start slow, be very basic, stress safety, and have fun. It has been very rewarding to me as a volunteer instructor.

4. BT-99 TBTI

BT-99 TBTI TS Member

Good idea to atract new shooters. Might try putting up flyers around town or maybe even a add in the local paper to make sure everybody knows and to ensure a good turnout. Good luck with the whole thing.

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Our club hosts a youth day every year. We put it on in conjuction with the local chapters of Pheasants Forever, MN Waterfowl Assoc., NWTF and several others that I can't remember. The local archery club sets up hay bails for a backstop so the kids can try archery also. The kids shoot at least two rounds of trap (50 targets) if they want to. We feed them and send them home with a bag full of good stuff. It's a good deal all the way around.

6. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

We held a youth shoot this June. We had a $5 entry fee that included 50 birds, 50 shells, hot dog, chips, soda and all money paid back as Lewis so everyone had a chance to win something. We also had some door prize drawings. Many of the kids stayed around and shot more practice rounds as well.

It cost the club a few hundred dollars, but those of us that understand the future saw it as an investment.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Claresholm (Alberta) Trap Club offers free targets (registered or non-registered) to all juniors and sub-juniors provided they don't play any purses...and they have done so for years....

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

A great idea, but if the goal is to attract new shooters to the club, your efforts would be better directed toward the 35 to 50 years old population. Very few Sub Jr. and Jr. All American trap shooters continue with the sport after they become adults. Most new trap shooters come from the 35-50 age group.

Encouraging young shooters should have a long term pay back but the short term results are rather dismal.

Pat Ireland

9. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

Why do they have to be 12 years old to shoot? I'm not sure if you are aware of this but the youngest guy to reach the 27 yd line was an 11 year old!

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I was thinking the same thing as WonderBoy... why any age limit?! Not knowing where you're located, is there a mandatory legal age for a child to possess a firearm in an instructional program?!

From a practical standpoint, I know you'd be better served by advertising that you'll have an instructor assess all youths for eligibiity before participation on the range...

Consider which of the following might represent a better qualified guest... a physically abled and focused 10 yo. or an immature 13 yo. with spaghetti arms and ADD... while the comparison may appear sarcastic, we've met many of both coming through our "open houses" over the years - and when it comes to sports... some parents have unrealistic assessment of their child's ability.

You'll be better served offering yourselves wiggle room to allow some folks you might not have considered, while safely disappointing others... unless there is a prohibition in your local.

regards all,

Jay

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

One of the local clubs that I am affiliated with put on several different shoot dates every year. They are Aimed at different age and sex groups. We have a youth day. We also have one for collage students.

A group that is targeted and funded by our state firearms organization called GOAL. The group that they target is women the event is called Women On Target.

They are brought in and given an opportunity to handle and fire Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns in a Trap and Skeet setting. The classes are always Maxed out. and there are now many clubs in the state that are running them.

BTW GOAL finances these classes the clubs provide the Club the Targets and the Instructors. These gals really enjoy the days.

As far as the young one are concerned they are the one that are the hardest to work with because you want to see them do well and some don't. When they do you get the most satisfaction from working with them. Some one asked about the age in my experience some 12 year olds are not capable of handling a shotgun safely most under that age struggle. Of course there are exceptions in everything.

Good luck and believe me you will get as much out of it as they will.

Bob Lawless

12. al.brown

al.brown TS Member

Well Pat has said what i have been thanking for years. I started at 49 because did not have resources until then. just watch spring practices and shoot, children moms/dads scurring around so little Billy/Betty can be the next state champ. but after the state shoot about all that if left to support the shoots are us old codgers. al.brown

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Pat: <i> A great idea, but if the goal is to attract new shooters to the club, your efforts would be better directed toward the 35 to 50 years old population. Very few Sub Jr. and Jr. All American trap shooters continue with the sport after they become adults. Most new trap shooters come from the 35-50 age group.

Encouraging young shooters should have a long term pay back but the short term results are rather dismal. </i>

Pat, that's a point I was trying to make and address in my post (if HCP is even broke) ...

I absolutely agree that once they hit college, kids are lost to BENCHREST TRAP until their mid-30s, but I think with a little effort and a little inventiveness CAN keep them AROUND "Trap" during that college/marriage/job/house/kids sequence.

The money and TIME required to shoot trap is extremely consequential, especially if they want to compete, (as opposed to occasional stress relief.)

The Big 50s is an (underpromoted) step in that direction, but I think more could be done to keep the young adults shooting 'a little trap' and 'some sporting clays', as opposed to shooting SC, only.

The Big 50 is a good place to bring your 30yr-old neighbor to sample the game, too.

Bob

14. Browning30

Browning30 TS Member

While I have to agree with Pat that the 35-50 age group is your best target group I must disagree about the value of the youth.

I am the chairman of our youth program which has 130 kids grades 3-12. Our club throws targets for $6/50. Friends of NRA gives us a grant, local businesses donate and the kids pay $150 for the season which runs for 11 weeks. Shells, targets and a season end banquet with trophies and prizes are all included.

The value of the program to our club is considerable in the number of adult shooters that it generates. I myself had shot for 2 years back in the early '80s but like so many others gave it up for reasons of money, kids, job etc. My oldest son started shooting in the youth league with a friend whose dad was the coach. This coach was also a former trapshooter. Within 2 years the coach an I put together our own adult squad. My second son started shooting and before very long I was coaching and running the league. The family started going to registered shoots and before long my wife thought she would give it a try. Now she also has an adult squad. There are many cases at our club of the kids bringing back former shooters or of the parents starting after the kids do. We also have several of the college age shooters that are still active.

The point is DON'T UNDER ESTIMATE THE VALUE OF THOSE YOUNG SHOOTERS!

Harlan Young

15. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

im the trap chair/youth coach/board member for edwardsburg c.c.,edwardsburg mi,i allow all youth,(parents members or not) $1.75/round of 25 targets. im very happy with the turn out of high school age& under that we see at our club on tuesday nite&sunday,its great to get them out,teach them gun safty,and keep the future of our sport going,last march i started back up youth trap teams(1986 was the last time we had them) and have had 12 kids stick with it,i also recieved a $3000 nra youth shooting grant for the kids,and with that and the support of the club members the cost for our youth trap teams is free(shells& targets coverd),they shoot 75 targets every other sunday.very important these days to make shooting trap affordable(for the parents) to keep the kids coming back, also sell at reg price targets to the parents, half of them or better are shooters too....as far as age we allow all kids that can handel a properly fitting shotgun the chance to shoot,i have 8yr,9yr & 11 yr old on my teams.,,,mark jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content