Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

FREE Score Keeper

11K views 81 replies 20 participants last post by  Calkidd 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I created a score keeper website for shotgun sports. I invite you to try it out. Keep track of all your shotgun sports scores, get charts, and other fun analysis. Looking for feedback.

shotgunnet.com

Andrei Erdoss

#5 ·
Thanks for the new program. What is the need for our email address other than user ID? I hate when i provide my email address and then end up receiving an endless supply of junk emails. Although my filter sorts most as spam, i don't like the point of receiving it. What will our email address be used for and who will have access to it?

#7 ·
"a FREE mobile version coming very soon"

Now we're talk'n. I have been wanting something like that for quite awhile. I hope it has a "Trap" specific program allowing me to add and monitor my scores and averages via my IPhone. I like the one provided here on this site. It's easy to use and keeps running averages.

#9 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Did I say thank you?

With this, who needs the ATA? Now, we can register all the targets we want, and our scores are private.

This can only get more people shooting. I just registered a round. Go ahead, Don, try to look it up.

This is absolute serendipity. This very weekend, I thought that I would design this same product because it is so deeply needed. You beat me to it, and you have done so with an enviable product.

Thank you for the notes section to designate the gun being shot. Can I sort my results by gun?

Are you aware that you can build your own classifications? If you set break points based on reasonable standard deviations, a shooter can always know where he is in any discipline vis-a-vis the other shooters on ShotgunNet.

A ShotgunNet ranking can quickly become as respected as an ATA ranking.

Are you also aware that you can set your own competitions? I would set a match at a minimum of five shooters, and it could be shot at any range, with no ATA or state fees. You need someone from the tournament to act as Match Director who can input, but not view, scores. The Match Director could give the tournament a name like "Indy Shotgun Summer Blast." You also need to have a way for local shooters to be aware of upcoming tournaments. If IndyShotgun is holding a 50 bird ShotgunNet singles event at Brownsburg, it would be good if we could send a notice through ShotgunNet to all Indy-area shooters.

Great site. I hope you have the foresight to recognize how powerful this could become.

Spelling note, your home page has this typo: "post you score on your Facebook wall"

#14 ·
Well INDY, you managed to pi$$ on this thread too with your anti-ATA and change BS. I hope your proud. I bet this man is tickled to death the way you turned his new "Free Score Keeper" thread into your own personal do away with the ATA blog.

#15 ·
How do you register targets without the ATA? What's to prevent a shooter from entering any score they want? To me this program is like writing your scores on your ATA average card. I see no advantage to it.

Eric

#16 ·
IndyShotgun. Thanks for the ideas, I see where you're going with it. I am planning to marry this site with ShotgunShoot.com (not currently active), which will host tournament info. But that's down the road.

Calkidd. Yes the app will be available for IPhone, IPad, Android, Blackberry, Palm WebOS and Windows Mobile. Also I added the club that you suggested. Thanks

Iboh. I will be adding those events very soon. I know it's important to make the distinction. Thanks for the suggestion

grntitan. Not here to overthrow any established entity. :)

Here is my roadmap for the app:

I plan to release new features every week. This is a roadmap:

Equipment used (gun/gauge/chokes, shells, glasses)

Competition fields (event name, class, place, concurrent, winnings, punches, registered?, costs)

Mobile app - mainly used to keep score for all shotgun sports. It works in conjunction with the rest of the website

Charts - better looking and with option of adding selecting/deselecting different data types (ie. temperature, gun, weather, competition vs practice etc.)

Comparisons - between you/group of friends/your club/all shooters in the same class

Reports - charts in table form

Shoots, shoot results & shooter registration

#17 ·
Eric, write whatever you want on your score card. It shouldn't matter to anyone if you want to lie to yourself.

If the site is altered to allow tournaments, a Match Director will enter the scores, so there won't be an advantage to lying.

A site like ShotgunNet can make every time you and four friends shoot 50 a tournament. This site, if earnestly used, can really increase the amount of registered shooting by making competitive shooting easy and accessible.

So, grin, do you not like the site, now? LOL

#18 ·
Registered where???? To a new website?? Your not pro Trap growth, your anti ATA. Tell us how starting a new Trap organization and attempting to pull memebers away from other organized Trap associations grows and benefits Trap and its growth?? Now the truth comes out. Your anti ATA and you said.

"With this, who needs the ATA?"

Are you not the same one preaching the Grand should be in Indy? Now you want to abandon the ATA? Change this Change that. Boy that will make the sport grow.

"Now, we can register all the targets we want, and our scores are private."

Who cares if they see your scores? What are you afraid of? Do you not think as people see you shooting they know your scores? Bid deal.

You need to have your head examined. Really!!!

"If the site is altered to allow tournaments"

Now he wants to change your website you just offered for free. You can't leave anything alone. Go make your own site for your own Trap org. and do what you want with it.

#19 ·
An app that would work on my Blackberry would be neat.

It could eliminate the little paper card we carry and the app would not make errors in average calculations.

Indy, most of what you posted makes no sense to ATA shooters. The averages that matter are what we shoot in competition. Why do they need to be "private"?

I do see value in separating data bases for things like trying a new POI, LOP, new stock, new hold points. etc so that there is a record of things we try in practice to improve out scores.

Don Verna

#20 ·
Shotgunshoot,

Don't worry about grin. There are a few here who don't want to see any change, but most people here are always willing to look over a better mousetrap. His lack of imagination really holds him back. Where he sees a potentially handy site that he might occasionally use, I see a revolution. The ranges should love your site, since every range is now capable of holding a registered shoot, and they can sell more rounds.

Regardless of your intentions, you stumbled onto the recipe for gunpowder. Congratulations. It's O.K. Get a little excited.

Love your planned enhancements. Make sure that the SS.com results upload directly into SN.com. On SS.com, perhaps add a function for "find a match director near you"? Give some thought to having a scroll on SS.com congratulating users for tournament wins. On SN.com, maybe add a "gold star" button where shooters can brag about and get on the scroll for breaking their first straight of 25, 50, 75, 100, etc. Maybe have an auto-congratulate e-mail go out to a shooter when he or she moves up in to a new class or has a day well above average.

Also think about what a great way your site is to bring all the shotgun sports under one roof. What a great way to get the Skeeters to shoot Trap, and vice-versa. Everyone will be going to your site to enter scores, so the cross-promotion possibilities between the sports is huge.

Lastly, please make it a positive check to publish scores to FB. Don't want to have to remember to uncheck that button.

#21 ·
Wow, IndyShotgun I like the way you think. I noted all the things that you suggested and for the most part they will be on the roadmap.

My goal was to launch the app with enough functionality that you guys can use and then listen for requests. That is how I built the roadmap that I have so far. Anybody else have other suggestions?

I am definitely excited about the number of people signing up. Just broke 100 registrations! :)) Keep'em coming. Invite your friends!

#22 ·
Indy Shotgun,

I have no problem with change providing it improves on the system in place. Regarding the proposed program I have the following questions to start.

How are the daily fees paid to the ATA & your state association? How is the shoot report filed with the ATA? How do you insure that the five guys who shoot a spur of the moment "tournament" are ATA members?

Eric

#23 ·
shotgunshoot,

"grntitan. Not here to overthrow any established entity. :)"

You might not be, but the one you think is so brilliant here is. You go ahead and agree with all his ideas or even some of them. He has been spewing anti-ATA stuff here for a few months now. He avoids questions he doesn't care to answer and only addresses those he thinks he has a crafty answer for. Just like i don't care for Obama supporters and avoid being linked to them, you have now linked yourself to him thru your own words of support. Good luck with it.

"and it could be shot at any range, with no ATA or state fees."

"A ShotgunNet ranking can quickly become as respected as an ATA ranking"

Statements like these, scream ditch the ATA and lets start our own. Well i am Pro-ATA all the way. They have done more for the youth shooters across the Country thru their AIM program than Indy and his hairbrain change everything ideas ever will. Pulling people away from one program to start another does not promote growth. It promotes Indy. Registering targets is much more than just recording them somewhere like Indy seems to think. The ATA has an aura about it that no other Trap organizations have ever been able to match. I personally want nothing to do with something that is involving trying to pull shooters away from shooting ATA registered targets and starting a new organization. Thinking like that spewed by Indy will drive more Trap shooters away from your new site than to it. I personally have abandoned any ideas of using. I'll stick with the ATA and its system now. Don't kid yourself and think i'm alone either. Its the ones that you don't see signing up that hurt.

#24 ·
grntitan,

I believe in technology and competition. That being said, I don't think that an organization like the ATA can be done away with a website meant for storing scores. If that's true, then something is definitely wrong. And what is up with this 'panicky' attitude? You really believe that by using ShotgunNet, you are no longer supporting the ATA? Doesn't seem to be a well thought out reaction.

My goal for creating ShotgunNet.com is to give an easy way for storing, analyzing, comparing and discussing shotgun scores for all shotgun sports. It's free so that anybody can enjoy it.

I'm grateful for IndyShotgun's suggestions because he is one that started thinking out of the box and came up with some great ideas. For example:

" On SN.com, maybe add a "gold star" button where shooters can brag about and get on the scroll for breaking their first straight of 25, 50, 75, 100, etc. Maybe have an auto-congratulate e-mail go out to a shooter when he or she moves up in to a new class or has a day well above average."

What is wrong with that?

#26 ·
"What is wrong with that?"

Absolutely nothing wrong with that and i really like the idea of your site and your intentions as just described. Where i have a problem is agreeing with someone who makes such statements like:

I personally can't stand nor did i vote for President Obama. If i'm somewhere where he is on TV and during his speech i stand up and start clapping, what does everyone in the room think of my views? They think i support Obama. So maybe i was wrong in jumping to conclusions about you. I'll admit that and apologize to you for that. The fact is you should make it clear when making statements like "Wow, IndyShotgun I like the way you think.", you should clarify that you don't agree with everything he stated or it comes off like you do. That is my whole point and where i took you to agree with all his views. I don't think your new free site was intended to harm or compete with the ATA at all. I just won't support something that has thinkings like the quote i made above. If that is not your intention and i misread it, i apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.