1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Free paper hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Didreckson, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

A buddy from long ago gave me a couple of boxes of empty hulls. I really appreciate it, as one box is full of old one piece AA's, which I really love. The new 2 piece AA's just never held up the same for me.

The paper is a whole new world. I probably have 500 or so, and not Federal, but Winchester it appears. I have read many times about the smell of Federal papers, and you need to bake the empty hulls before reloading them? They take a special crimp die? They take a special wad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I load on a Spolar, and it is dialed in honestly for STS and Nitro 1 oz and 1-1/8 oz. I really don't want to screw that up, as they are just right and to load 500 papers 1 time would not be worth the trouble.

But if this groups sage advice is I can load them with my existing gear 1 time, with a DR or CB wad, Win 209 primer, Clay powder, well, that would be special.

Thanks in advance for looking and any info you can share with me. If it is something I determine to be too much screwing around, I will send them off to a good home to someone who can use them.

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't "bank" them though i would "bake" them. Just some fun with ya.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Run a couple through your machine and see what it looks like. You can use the crimp starter that is in the machine now or you can use the smooth one that is designed for paper hulls. HMB

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

grntitan,

You must be dyslexic...looks like bake to me.

I fixed it, so if I can be the current butt of humor, so be it. Must have banking on my mind...what mind is left of course.

HMB, any issue with plastic CB or DR wad in a paper? I honestly have just never considered loading these, and they are ancient. Great shape, but probably 30 years old or so.

Take care.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They are soft shooting compared to plastic hulls. Finding the right wad so you get a nice crimp is important. HMB

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You may have some funny-looking crimps, but as long as there is abt a 1/16th" inch ledge, they'll go boom just fine.

IIRC, the Winchester is a HIGH basewad, and you'll have to load it using WAA12Red wads (CB-1138).

A FedPap (low basewad) is ±2¼" inside depth: wad-to-mouth, and for that measurement, you can use DR Blues, Win Whites, Rem-TGT, etc. for a 1-1/8 load.

If the depth is ... oh, 1-7/8" or so, you'll need the shorter WAARed, but they'll load & shoot fine.

You may have to adjust crimp-depth, of course.

Bob

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Ajax has a good point - run a couple through your de-cap station and see if you have any crush, crumble or chomp.

Bob

8. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

CONCERNING THE WINCHESTER HULLS.....Tried loading some of the WINCHESTER hulls with Winchester WAA12 and also the ClayBuster AA12 clone and did not have any success. If you look down in the hull you will see the paper base wad which will not allow a regular WAA12 to seat properly. I did find these WAA12R (RED)wads (Pictured) that worked OK.

[​IMG]

Paper hulls that old are normally too dry and fragile to load properly no matter how long you bake them. If you do attempt to load these you should use a smooth crimp starter or a six point crimp starter. Expect lots of off sounding reports plus many bloopers. In my opinion they aren't worth the effort.

The FEDERAL or CHAMPION hulls in your photo should be ok with the proper wads. Consult your reloading manual and you should find several loadings for Federal Papers. I don't think you will find any current recipes for the Winchester Super Target Hulls. That should tell you something. Crazy Chester

[​IMG]

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Well, what it tells me was my suspicion...not worth the effort, even if they smell great for breakfast.

I will cherish my box of old 1 piece AA's, and if anyone is interested in the papers, kindly let me know via email or PM. I am in the greater Sacramento area (Lodi specifically), and get up to Reno every 2-3 weeks. I would prefer to not ship, if anyone is interested in the papers where I can catch up to you, the hulls are yours for the asking. First come, first serve. The papers appear to be in good shape, and have been deprimed and sized in a Mec unit is my understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.