1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FREE Cell phone,,,,,Do you qualify????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

"Heard about this yet?? It's here!!! Are you eligible?? This is plain disgraceful!!

With it being called the obama phone, who do you reckon those people who get them - are going to vote for? UNBEL IE VABLE The Obama Phone - NO JOKE

This is unbelievable !! Just when you think you've heard it all, our illustrious Congress quietly comes up with a new zinger to put their hands in your pockets, and pick them while you aren't watching. Isn't this just wonderful ?

I was standing in line at the checkout counter at Wal Mart and as I looked at the line behind me, I saw a couple of people talking about what looked like identical new cell phones, bragging about the fact that their phones were free and so was the airtime. The woman in line behind me had heard the same exchange and turned to the young man behind her and asked, 'Is that a new type of cell phone?' The young man replied, 'Yes, this is my new Obama phone. She asked him what an Obama phone was, and he went on to say that, 'Welfare recipients are now eligible to receive what he described as (1) a FREE new cell phone, and (2) approximately 250 FREE minutes of air time every month.'

Needless to say, I was a little skeptical about his answer, so when I got back home, I Googled it, and lo and behold, he was telling the truth. This was what I discovered:

SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program that provides a free cell phone and airtime each month for income-eligible customers. In other words, your tax dollars are being distributed to a wireless phone provider to provide welfare recipients with free cell phones and airtime. I don't know about you, but as for me, enough is enough. We are $14 Trillion in debt, Congress is balking at continuing unemployment payments to those who want to work, and Congress is increasing the dole-out to dead beats.

The ship of State is sinking, and it's sinking fast. The old concept of getting ahead through hard work has flown out the window. It has been replaced by Obama's and Congress' idea of Hope and Change. The country has changed all right, changed to "Why should I work for it, when I can get it for free?"

You can click on the link [above] to confirm for yourself that the Obama Phone is real.

Just have a barf bag ready.

I work every day and pay for my Own Cell Phone and buy My Own minutes.....
    HOW ABOUT YOU! Doesn't this just burn you up ??"

2. Janet

Janet TS Member

You bet - I happen to know some people who have these phones and they call them
    Obama phones. These people don't work, are on welfare and actually believe
    they are entitled to these phones and/or any other "contributions" we taypayers
    make.

If you want to really get pissed off, check the IRS money that is returned to
    people who don't work. I couldn't believe it.....

3. WCW4269

WCW4269 Member

No service in my area must be too many republicans.

4. lboh

lboh Member

If you want to see where the money is coming from check your mobile phone bill. The fee is there each and every month:

Universal Connectivity Fee (Universal Service Fund), Federal:

"The USF helps to make phone service affordable and available to all Americans, including consumers with low incomes, those living in areas where the costs of providing telephone service is high"

5. 87AA

87AA TS Member

http://factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A government supported program that doesn't use our tax money. LOL LOL

What phone companies collect is a universal connectivity fee or a universal service fee to pay for the program. AND THEY DON'T CONSIDER THAT A TAX. lol

How dumb do they think we are?

At one time you could turn in your old cell phone and they would activate it for 911 only and give them to women who are suffering from domestic violence. I wonder if this evolved from that program?

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The solution is easy, eliminate the cell phone SERVICE providers. They are probably the first in line responsible for this. What bill is this, and when was it approved?

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot,

Any old cell phone with the battery charged can be used to call 911. You do not have to have an active service plan.

9. lboh

lboh Member

I need to find an article I read about this. I believe it is $4 billion per year collected with this fund and redistributed if I recall it correctly.

10. Stl Flyn

This Q.& A., and paragraph was taken from the link above.

Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use "taxpayer money" to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?

A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

The president has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.

This is why you need to post links, or direct information of Bills passed and information from a reliable source. Not from blogs, political rhetoric web sites, word of mouth, personal interpretation, and opinions, etc.

Political B.S. is out of control in this country.

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

bigdigtx, Don't get me started, I looked in to this as it has been advertizes here in the Chicago Market for some time. It's call SafeLink, they started the commercials here just prior to the start of the re-election for the White House, you never heard about this program before then . The ads are geared to low income families. Free Cell Phone, 250 free minutes, free 411 and 911, no contract and never any overage charge. Are you kidding me not only have the democrats and Obama latched on to pac money but he's buying votes from the " under privliged". I quote from a recent commercial," My momma lives alone and I told her I have her back. with Safe link she can get a hold of me any time she needs to in an emergency" WHAT???? Are you kidding me 250 "free minutes" sure for "momma" but we're paying plenty.This is pure vote buying at it's worst. These democrats are all lying scum bags!

12. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's a great deal for drug dealers, pimps, and theives. I guess why that's why I don't qualify. Charlie

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

stl flyn,,,,,Do you think the recipients feel it is a phone from Bush???? Whether hussein has anything to do with it directly or not,,,,it is how the program is perceived,,,,,which is buying their votes,,,,,and if you don't think this is insuated, then you are a fool.....

14. Stl Flyn

It depends on whose perception you are using. Take the blinders off. That is the way you look at it because you have to blame Obama. Your reasoning, and perception is obvious, and will never change no matter the information you read. That's fine. No fooling!

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Stl flyn, your the one wearing blinders. this program has been around for 5 years. But since election time is just around the corner nwo we advertise it on TV so Obama and his kind can buy the White House at our expense. get your head out of the sand.

16. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Even the receipients call it the "OBAMA PHONE", stl flyn you have your head buried in the sand like all the other liberals.

Oscar

17. shotgunjerry

shotgunjerry Active Member

How about the 2000,00 dollars they are going to give back to the people that lost their homes because they could,nt pay for the mortgages they should never have had, In todays world it pays to be irresponsible, what the hell is happening to this country?????????????????????

18. Stl Flyn

Do you see anywhere on the safelink site, or in the advertisement, that says the "Obama Phone"? Who named it the "Obama Phone"? Political rhetoric! Maybe the Right should have called it the "Bush Phone", seeing as it was implemented during total Republican control. That way the people receiving this benifit would not be thinking Obama had anything to do with it, and would be voting Republican. It's all matter of perception. The program has been implemented for at least a decade if you read the information provided, and it was actually brought up as program many many years ago, before cell phones. Did Obama instruct the Provider to start advertising this program? If you believe it as so, please provide that information in a link, or copy of the text? Better yet video would be nice. Provide proof! Otherwise it is only perception, or opinion. That is fine, you are entitled to that. That in a political mind set will never change. All I want is proof! Back up your statements with proof. All of you have given your perception of what you, and what you think other people are thinking. Again there is absolutely no proof that Obama had anything to do with this, but yet this is all brought up to rally the troops. It is political rhetoric, and deception. You can call me what ever you want. I am not defending Obama. I am just sick of the political mind set of this country. Its all about deception and lies. That is what has made this country so divided about politics. There is no compromise anymore because in congress it is like a grudge match. It is not about the people anymore, it is all fu$% you, and fu$% you too. It's to the point where people hate each other and will not associate with someone else because of political views, or they treat them as lower than them. That seems to be a middle eastern countries mind set, doesn't it? This country is going backwards to a third world state, and it has nothing to do with who is president. IMO.

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They have something like that here in Texas, can't remember what the name is but it's run by Virgin mobile

In one of the commercials there's a Hispanic fella standing beside his car with a flat tire, and he says "It's great, now I can let them know I'm going to be late for work"

Why does he get welfare if he has a job?

Stl Flyn, I agree with you, but it seems like the libs like to stir up the rhetoric the most

20. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

These are the qualifications in Virginia. They are different in other states.

I try and get as many seniors in my neck of the woods signed up as possible.

My parents have one of the phones and qualify due to receiving energy assistance.

You qualify for Lifeline Service in your area if...

You already participate in one of the following assistance programs:

Federal Public Housing Assistance / Section 8, Food Stamps, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI),
    National School Lunch (free program only), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Medicaid

No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Assistance through another phone carrier. If someone in your household is receiving Lifeline Assistance you must cancel the service before applying for Lifeline Service through SafeLink Wireless.

You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your FREE phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.