1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Free anti virus software trials

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had Mcafee for years and decided to try something different. There are many out there and most of them offer a free trial period of 30 days. I tried Kaspersky and it slowed everything up too much. Next I tried Bit Defender and my email was like a snail at times. Next I tried Panda ( they offer a 90 day free trial) It is very easy to manage and so far has not slowed up my email or computor in general. I am very happy with Panda. If you are in the market for a new anti virus, give it a try for free

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Avast is free for home users. It's only an av, so a firewall solution should be considered. There are several free ones out there. Comodo seems ok, but ONLY when used as a firewall. Don't set it for malware or antivirus protection.

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

AVG has been perfect for me!

AndyH ;-)

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Andy, I switched from a two-year paid subscription with AVG to Avast free home edition about six months ago. I got some spyware in my desktop that AVG was unable to remove and when I asked about a refund of the unused portion of my subscription, they stopped replying to my emails. If you check, you'll find they have no published telephone number.

Ed

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Both Panda and AVG offer spotty protection at best.

Avast is OK.

Keeping in mind that with free AV software you get what you pay for, I'd steer you toward <I>Avira's Antivir</i>. Your system must be free of any other AV software before you attempt an install.

Carol Lister

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Carol, not doubting your word but Panda gets some awesome reviews and it is not free, it is free for 90 days then 39.95. Just curious as to what you base this on??

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Go with Spyware Doctor ($39.95 Yearly). I had it since April and it is/must be working very good. I have not had any virus problems. Just yesterday it nailed four of them.

Also, I have Register Mechanic ($29.95 Yearly)since October of 2008 and very pleased with it. I run Register Mechanic every week and my computer seems to run faster after the cleaning.

Each of these tools have a lots of features, to many to describe here.

These two are from PC TOOLS. You can check them out at the URL above.

Frank

8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Kaspersky works for me...

9. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Quitting time!!

cubancigar...

There is a free Panda AV. I figured it was the one you were trying since you were asking for "free". You can check it here: <I>Panda Cloud beta v0.9</I>

Testing AV software is a muddy issue. I can point you at comparison after comparison like <I>THIS</I> and like <I>THIS</I> and in the end, the rankings will be determined by how the tests were configured and what library of malware was used. Often times, the "awesomness" of the reviews depends on the paycheck sent to the reviewer. There are as many ways to compare software as there are people who do it so the results of such comparisons are subjective at best.

Where I work there are literally thousands of computers connected to the 'net and thousands of users who have no clue about how to stay out of trouble on them. I work in the section of the IT department that recovers infected and crashed computers. I see what works and what doesn't and I have to be practical about software comparisons. I base my assessment of the effectiveness of AV software on how many machines I have to clean up because of the software they use. It's not scientific but it tells me what works and what doesn't under real world conditions.

On the paid software side, we get a lot of business from people who use McAfee, Norton, AVG, Panda, F-Secure and F-Prot. All of the free AV brands send us work from time to time but Norton, AVG, Threatfire, Zone Alarm, PC Tools and a couple dozen more you're never heard of keep us busy.

We've made recommendations to many victims to switch to something like Avira, NOD32, Sophos, Kaspersky or Bit Defender if the want to buy and Avira, Avast or Comodo if they want free and we don't see them again. Either they've become smarter web surfers or they've gotten better protection than they had before.

Pull Bang...

That registry cleaner is going to up and bite you in the butt sooner or later. They are about the worst piece of junkware you can stick into a computer and they are one of the biggest money-makers for the software companies. Nobody should treat a computer that way! They can't tell the difference between useful and useless entries and one fine day you're going to wipe out something you need and end up staring at the blue screen of death wondering what happened. Any speed increase you see after cleaning a week's accumulation is just your head trying to justify the $30 you spent for the cleaner.

We have 2 PCs in the department we use to pre-run new software. Between them they will have a dozen or more apps installed and uninstalled each day. One has a registry size now that exceeds 250 Mb (maybe 10 times normal size) and has more junk in it than a yard sale yet the machine's speed is virtually unaffected. You don't need to be cleaning registries UNLESS you know that a registry corruption is the root of behavioral problems with your system and especially not every week!

If you absolutely have to diddle around in your registry (Ho boy!) at least use something like Power Tools Lite registry cleaner that makes you actually go in and look at what you're deleting.

Carol Lister

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pull Bang , I have Spyware Doctor or I should say had. I have had spyware turn if off and invade my computer. Then the good doctor couldn't even sniff it out, stayed hidden.

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I had AVG free on my previous computers and it got infected by two virus and I identified them but could not find anything to remove them. I just got another computer. That one still sits on the floor as it crawls like a snail.

I have used Mc Afee every since. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.