1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Frat boys

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got a small business. About 4 or 5 years ago a kid who lives down the street came to work for me. He did odd jobs, worked during the summer and weekends. Great kid, didn't think they made em like that any more. He emails me every couple of weeks. Plans on working this summer.

He went away to college. He is now in his 2nd year. I just got off the phone with his Mom. She is upset because she just learned her boy joined a fraternity. She wanted to know what I knew about frats. I know nothing. The kid was just elected president of the new recruits, and his first duty is to go to bartender school so he can serve as the frat boys bartender.

I told the Mom her kid was now 19 and I don't think it matters what she or anybody else thinks. I know I don't think much about it.

When I think of frats all I think about is heavy drinking, puking, people killing each other in car wrecks.

I would like to go up and slap the kid. I don't think the kid has every had a drink in his life, now this.

Is there anything good that can come out of a kid joining a frat?

2. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Wheat, Barley, Alfalfa;

Giv'em Hell ????? ?????

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Life long friends, great memories, exam files, girls, new drinking songs and games, places to crash on different campuses, and a pin to give your best girl who now is your wife. Go Greek !

4. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. More than 200 men I can call brothers. Those are the ones that I knew on campus. 200,000 or more in the national. I am in touch with dozens of them after 30 years. I don't know how the frats are now, but back then they were great. Met lots of women, had a lot of fun. If you haven't been there, I suggest that you not pass judgment. They truly become like brothers. We also had many charitable events, especially for cancer research. We donated thousands of dollars. A lot like trap shooters, some really good, a few not so good.

Met my wife of 29 years at a frat party.

Give the young man a break and see how it turns out.

Mike

5. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

I had a lot of fun in my fraternity, then went to medical school, now have job, pay taxes, etc. It didn't warp me too much.

Bill

6. chessney

chessney TS Member

Animal House. Great movie. Too bad some kid's get off track and can't get back on. You can only hope for the best for the kid...Ziggy

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/?action=view&current=jeR7J3iApR7rBpiWBF3TWm2xqsV7.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/?action=view&current=beerpic03.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/?action=view&current=beerpic02.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/?action=view&current=beerpic01.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/?action=view&current=JhKNqiXmN8N1sq3h0kqw7qk2Jkea.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ah the memories and I wasn't even a student, just went to the parties at the UofM.

Jerbear

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My son also joined a frat while at college. I had reservations about it, but said nothing.

By his senior year, he ended up president of his frat and has since married, started a family, put 21 years in the Guard, and has just been an all around good citizen.

I met a lot of his frat brothers and to a man, they all treated me and my family with the utmost respect.

I don't think the frat hurt him that much at all. It will be part of life while he is growing up. I wouldn't worry to much. He'll be just fine.

Hauxfan!

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I already had friends, so I didn't join a frat :)

10. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

We called them fraternities. A good fraternity can offer many excellent opportunities that do not exist for non fraternity members. My best friends to this day are guys I called brothers when in college. Truthfully, I don't think I would have graduated had it not been for the fraternity as I had required study hours, built in tutors and support whenever I needed it. There were parties available just like those available to the entire college population but we were not required to attend. I was coached by other brothers to make good decisions. Would I join again? Without a doubt! I'm still receiving benefits from being a part of a great group of guys.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I think he should join the frat. The only reason to join is the test files. What those are is the tests that the other frat boys have taken from the classes at the univercity over the years. The guys get a leg up so to speak and if they don't study the exact test they do get the general idea of what will be asked on the one they are to take. Your son will have an easier scholastic job ahead of himself if he's in a frat with a good set of test files. Not kidding here. Actually there are other reasons for joining and the monetary cost isn't that much. The rewards are many and the comaraderie will last a life time. Those guys will take care of their own and see that your son studies and does well in class. Dan

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Just actually reread the original post. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not your son at all, maybe that's why LeeAnn says I never pay attention. Well there are rewards for the joining of a frat and the drinking is going to happen whether he joins a frat or not. Dan

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The personality was formed a hell of a long time before the young man joined a fraternity.

If he would go astray at this stage of life he wasn't very well raised in the first place.

Responsibility is learned at an early age. If it's not there now it never will be.

HM

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

...and besides...without frat boys...who would send those "sorority girls" walking home with their underwear stuffed in their coat pocket?

...that "Saturday Morning Walk of Shame" is a wonderful thing to see...

15. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Similar to bigbill, I went to Brown university and joined an animal house. Best years of my life. Then went to law school. It all worked out fine. But whatever you do, you must use common sense. Like all the money I have blown in trapshooting. Actually shooting has been some of my best times with great friends.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I think his Mom is worried about the out of control drinking. The image I have is "Animal House" and I pretty sure she has the same. Just a bunch of clowns sitting around doing "shots", partying till you puke, yelling "show your ti*s" at every girl walking by. Real classes and studies ignored and replaced by a major in "partying". There are cheaper ways to do that than paying tution at a college.

Bisi

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Of course, most of the really old fraternities were formed from vigilante groups from the South after the civil war. The same organizations of which one or more became the KKK. At least in the oldest frats, it is a pretty white bread group. Course, now drinking and getting laid are the primary goals. Jake

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bisi, if his Mom is worried about that...make "sure" they don't send him to I.U. ;-)

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Buzz, that's where it's at. Bloomington!!

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oh crap! Party Central.

Worst thing is...we live so close to there...I'm certain my kid will at least consider it too. Sigh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.