1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Franz Sodia Trap Gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hawk46, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Apparently these guns were imported from Austria in low numbers about 25 years ago. Research shows that they are very high quality, deep relief engraving. Shooting one would probably be risky due to parts availability and Sodia is no longer in business. My older Blue Book is way below what I'm seeing vs. asking prices. Anyone familar with this gun? Anyone have access to a more current value?

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Hawk,

The Franz Sodia single barrel trap gun was imported from 1971 through 1974 or 75, from an Austrian gun guild maker, Franz Sodia in Ferlach, Austria. Harrington & Richardson imported them, with the name Harrich No. 1 engraved on the receiver. This was likely to compete with Ithaca importing TM-1s. The guns had excellent workmanship, a super tough locking system with a parrallel pin cross bolt and two locking lugs under the monoblock and in the receiver, and super thick barrel walls. The 1971 models could be ordered with a switch that changed the trigger from pull to release. It was a pretty crisp trigger both ways. The 32" model is faster pointing and allows you to come up on a bird faster than the 34" model. Unfortuneately, they shoot flat as a pancake for me. I had a 34" model with the pull release switch, and a friend of mine still has his 32" model. I paid $2,000 for mine and traded it, getting $2,000 on trade toward a new KX-5 in 2007. I think my friend paid about $2,500 for his, but he is quite passionate toward German and Austrian shotguns and drillings. Unfortunately, I had to spend about $220 on a gunsmith to do some work on the firing pin and spring on my gun. The dealer I traded it to sold it rather quickly with an asking price of $2,500. Since it was a Jaquas, I imagine that is what they got for it, since there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room with them. However, I did have an orginal 1971 Harrington & Richardson catalogue that I traded with the gun that showed the gun and the optional pull/release trigger mechanism, which was a nice touch for a collector. I saw a reprinted 1972 catalogue and the pull/release switchable trigger was not offered. It was a cool gun, but not a shooter, unless you are use to shooting trap with a field gun. I have found the bluebook to be somewhat helpful on values, but it is typically off when it comes to more rare or odd guns, which I think it mostly undervalues. It seems to overvalue a lot of the more common guns.

Just my opinion on the valuation aspect, and first hand experience with the gun itself. Hope this helps.

John E.

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Thanks for the reply John. I'm surprised that the wood is not nicer on this gun considering the quality of the build and engraving. Was this the case with your and your buddy's guns?

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When the gun first came out it had a price of $ 1,500 - a lot for 1971 when a Perazzi single barrel sold for about $650.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had one in my hands years ago, and liked it very much. Unfortunately the rib is not able to float, and It may be that the POI would change wdhen the barrel heated up.

Last July 4, there was one offered for $1850.00. Link provided.

HM

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Interesting dick, I did not know how much they sold for originally.

Hawk, the wood on my gun and my friend's gun had some contrast and figure, but not a lot, especially considering dick's post regarding its selling price and what $1,500.00 could buy in 1971 and 1972. However, the checkering was real nice. I don't think the Austrians or Germans were into pretty wood at that time or didn't realize Americans were into it. For example, look at all of the M-32 Krieghoffs with the ugly red stocks.

John

7. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Asking price on the one I'm eyeing is around $2700. My 90's Blue Book shows it valued $1475 @ 95%. Don't think I want a gun that's going to lose over $1200 as soon as I get it home, though it would look good in the 'ol gun cabinet and on an occassional shoot.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

As a point of interest, I'm inclined to go with the 1850 from July 10. I realize they are scarce, but lots of things are scarce. If I were a collector I would still want it for 1850.

I will assume the gun in question is at Jaquas?

HM

9. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

HM, you're a good detective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ferlach harrison richardson trap shotgun
fra sodia trap shotgun

franz sodia trap gun