1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FRANQUETTE ENGLISH WALNUT MATCHED PAIR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr.M, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

In the past 40 years I've seen a lot of advertising, particularly from European gunmakers, about what they call "Matched Pairs" of gunstock blanks or guns that are already stocked. Usually that means that somebody with some talent at staining wood managed to make both backgrounds the same British Red or that they had two blanks from the same tree that didn't look much like one another but had common ancestry.

During this odyssey of milling almost 700 Franquette English blanks (so far), nature hasn't provided two sets of color, stripe, flow, curl and/or grain that were anywhere near close enough to be considered "matched".

Until yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!! (To quote the UNLOADER!)

Since we cut the first stump, I've been working with a mandate from a client to find the closest thing to a true "matched pair" among the English that I've been cutting. Money was not an object if the pair were very close in color and layout, were a very dense English walnut and had the same figure on both left sides and both right sides. There would be a bonus if the blanks contained something special such as a shadow likeness of Jesus or Dan or Leo or some other Diety.

I think we earned our pay on this set. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

Matched Pair Franquette English Blank #1 left side.

[​IMG]

Matched Pair Franquette English Blank #2 left side. Numbered 'em so I wouldn't be accused of flinching.

[​IMG]

Detail of #1 left side. This is the absolute picture book definition of "full feather".

[​IMG]

Detail of #2 left side. I've deliberately sequenced the pictures this way so that scrolling will show the likeness.

[​IMG]

Matched Pair Franquette English Walnut #1 right side.

[​IMG]

Matched Pair Franquette English Walnut #2 right side. I think I see Kay winking at us from that light spot.

[​IMG]

Detail of #1 right side.

[​IMG]

Detail of #2 right side. The awesome part of the story is that these two complete, almost twin feathers came from different stumps that were opened up two months apart from one another. Submitted for your viewing pleasure.

Mike Mann
    White Creek Gunstock Blanks LLC Your Myrtlewood (and sometimes Walnut and Maple) Source

2. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

TTT

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

More WOW!!!!

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I can only hope the metal work is deserving of this wood!

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

franquette english gunstock wood