1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Frank Hoppe - One Eyed - Higher Hold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Frank Hoppe, writing in Trap and Field, says that one eyed shooters can use a much higher hold. This is contrary to most others who say to hold on the house.
    How many one eyed shooters on here use a high hold and where do you hold on positions 1 and 5?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I went to it after I read Frank's article. It works for me really well; my scores have gone up.

I don't hold "much higher" but it is higher than it used to was; my front bead is about a foot above the front edge to the house and my eyes are out above that. I hold directly above the corners on 1 and 5.

I did 2 Nora clinics and she's big on looking right over the front edge of the house so you catch sight of the target as soon as it clears the roof. I always felt a sense of urgency to get on the target doing this... just like Frank describes. Using the higher hold and looking over the barrel I can get my eye to the front edge of the target without feeling the urge to move the gun at the same time.

MK

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I shoot with my left lens taped. I have tried shooting a higher gun with some success but I always go back to bead on the lip with my eyes 1 ft over lip. When holding a higher gun you really cannot see most birds until they clear your barrel. A hard left can be hard to see and really surprise you.SMOKIT

4. SMOKEIT

I shoot with my left lens taped. I have tried shooting a higher gun with some success but I always go back to bead on the lip with my eyes 1 ft over lip. When holding a higher gun you really cannot see most birds until they clear your barrel. A hard left can be hard to see and really surprise you.SMOKIT

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I'm going with Nora on this one, especially on positions 1 & 2. With a high(er) hold, a quartering left target can get under the arm/gun of a right handed shooter and....LOST! Is Frank a one eyed shooter?

best...mike

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"When holding a higher gun you really cannot see most birds until they clear your barrel."</blockquote>... and so?? The eye catches movement more quickly with the peripheral vision than with the focused sight; why not use that to advantage.

It works for me; if it doesn't work for you, don't do it

MK

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you watch closely a lot of high holders dip their guns just as the bird comes out of the house.

8. wlc

wlc Member

I have taken clinics from Nora, Frank, and Phil Kiner. When I hold on the roof and look for the target right over the roof edge, I only see a streak and get jumpy. When holding high, per Frank, I don't see some left angles and also have a hard time keeping my eye from coming back to the gun. Phil suggested holding low and looking a little higher. This seems to work the best for me because I can keep my eye focused out in the field and don't see as much streak. I wish I could shoot with one eye like Nora does but it doesn't work for me.(I really wish I could shoot with two eyes) Shooting with one eye requires some compromises for a lot of us.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I used to hold a higher gun and use a soft focus out mid-way in the field. Now I find that holding just below the lip of the trap house and using a soft focus up to about half the height of the bird trajectory I can pick up the bird faster with out a streak. I also hold just outside the house and 1-2 ft lower on 1 and 5.

10. Capt Rick

Capt Rick TS Member

God gave people two eyes, use them! That was the advice a long time ago from C R Miller world Champion pidgeon shooter, New Holland ,Pa. He told me go and shoot a brick of .22's with a iron sight rifle and then tell me what happened. Well to my surprize I was shootin with both EYES! And for those who tape the lens, squint or do whatever to not see with one of those God given eyes, you forget that causes strain on the other eye and that is fact!! The very best way is to put a sight blinder on the rib starting about 7/8 th behind the bead, this way you will not see the bead with the WRONG eye . Put on properly you will not , and your eyes will be comfortable all day shooting as well as scores going up.

I know that some will doubt this, but so be it. I at times had the sight blinder on several of my guns and they DO NOT HARM THE RIB IN ANY WAY!! and they can be removed at any time. The cost and ease of putting them on is very minimal. And as for what happened with the .22's I have shot that old Nobel pump for so many years that it is about wore out, this all started in 1967, and thanks to Charley I am still shooting with both eyes opened wide some days very good and some so, so, and at 65 I hope to go alot many more years on the trap line. God Bless shoot well and often.

Capt Rick Lapham

P S I also took Franks classes, He is one of the best. Because of MR Hoppe and some advise From Mr Kiner I have collected many trophy's the last several years!!!

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Kay O. proves that gun holds aren't all that important to breaking targets with consistency by having students hold off the corners on the opposite sides of the trap. What is important though, is allowing your eyes to see the whole complete target as soon as you can. That may be right out of the house or it may be farther out to see it whole without the tailing streak. Wherever you decide to hold the gun, keep it from interfering with your eyes ability to see the targets ASAP for your eyes ability. That works for one or both eye shooting!

Hap

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Likes-to-shoot has once again stolen one of my trap shooting secrets:) Another I'll share is that if you are able to keep your visual focus out in the field and not bead check before shooting you will find hold point for the gun is really not too critical, though I do tend to emulate Likes.

Robert

13. SMOKEIT

Frank is not a one eye shooter. He is an excellent shooter and coach but I don't think his advice about one eye shooting is especially good..SMOKIT

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have been a one eyed shooter my whole life. I can tell you that one of the only way for me to beat myself is to inch the gun up [get to comfortable] and then comes the miss......for one eyed shooters say on the house stay in the game.

GS

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife shoots one eyed and currently holds just below a 98 Singles average. She holds on the traphouse as per Nora. Whenever my two eyes go on a cross-firing mission she advises me to shoot one eyed-just like her. So what does she know!!

16. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I read that article in the hotel room while in Delaware Ohio attending a Nora Ross clinic. I disagree totally. The point is to see the bird as quickly as you can leaving the house, if you're a one eyed shooter, and holding a high gun and high eye hold, it won't let you do that unless you hold the gun at a different angle that the flight of the bird comming out of the house and your eye hold is off line from the gun. Sorry Frank...no thanks.

blade819

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Very few shooters are exactly alike. If you do everything wrong,but break the target, thats what counts. I've watched many shooters with bad form over the years. Guess what,they break the target. And by the way, putting tape on a lens, will not cause you to squint. Closing one eye will. I tape,but don't close that eye. Clyde

18. Capt Rick

Capt Rick TS Member

Oldtimer,

who on this thread said that puting tape on a lens causes one to squint??? No one here that I read.

Capt Rick

19. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I think changes such as these prove their worth with time. I switched over to Hoppe's suggested hold points, and think it is a worthwhile experiment. That said, only time will tell if it is what I will adopt in the long run. I will give it at least a month. Don't expect overnight success when adopting changes. Things like these require time and patience.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I would be lying (sic?!) if I didn't say this particular issue causes me to lose a bird or two every round. An ongoing mental distraction, it prevents me from completely focusing on the birds... presently, as a right handed shooter, my hold points are as follows...

#1) 0' high, front left corner

#2) 1' high, 1/4 in on the house roof

#3) 1' high, 3/4 in on the house roof

#4) 6" high, right corner

#5) 0' high, 1.5' off right corner

My shooting style is to swing thru and to incorporate another thread, I typically like to start on #5...

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting hold points frank hoppe one eye