1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Franchi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Anyone have any opinions on this gun.I'm new to Trap shooting,using a Citori Sporting Clays Edition.The fella that got me into this sport,doesn't like them,course he shoots a Silver Sietzs(?spelling)So he may be unintentionally opinionated.
    Franchi comes with 2 barrels,is listed for less than I paid for Citori.
    Just curious,seems most are shooting with barrels longer than my 28".
    Trying not to get the buy,buy buy,syndrome associtated with this sport,but,,I think it's developing.Missed a good deal on a Xtrap,just don't want to miss too many more deals.

Dog H.

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'd recommend that you stick with more popular guns. That sporting clays gun you have is a fine gun and likely work for trap doubles. Be sure to keep it. I'd suggest that your "first" trapgun be something mainstream and not too expensive; a used BT-99 34 inch would be ideal. Now you may find that gun to be a little barrel whippy for you; they are, but your experienced friend can help you modify the balance with a little lead weight, 1-2 oz. on the barrel.

BT-99's: The gun used by youngster to beat this old man, (me) all too often!!

When/if the trap bug really hits you, you may likely move up to a "bettr" gun that you like best of all, e.g. a P-Gun, Guerrini, Ljutic, etc. Or you may love the BT-99, stick with it, and buy a second one for a back up.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

In my opinion I believe you are shooting a better gun than the Franchi.

I bought a new OU Trap when they first appeared in 1976.

I had trouble with the locking lever moving to the left after a hundred rounds or so. Also, I thought recoil was excessive.

However, that was 30yrs. ago. Current guns could be better.

I still like the Browing XT, but if I was buying Italian I would buy a Beretta or Perazzi.

Not cheap but good quality.

Regards....Gerald

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

From what I've read they enjoy a pretty decent reputation, but not as tens of thousands of rounds trap guns.

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Dog H,
    My only experience with Franchi dates back to about 1975 when I bought a 530 auto trap model. I shot it better than my Perazzi or Ljutic (98.6% on 2600 ATA Registerred targets). The problem was that it would not stay running for much more than 500 shots. Franchi was not much help, only admitting this model had a problem which was never fixed before they pulled out of the USA.

Today I would want more input from shooters as to parts and service availability as well as how willing they (Franchi) are to be helpful if needed.

My preference would be to buy a more popular brand. You have a gun you could keep and use for doubles. A BT99 makes a good starter gun and a good used example can be found in the $900-1000 range. When you move up, and you will, the BT can be sold for most of what you paid for it. But why not make that move up now? A nice used Perazzi TM-1 can be had for $1500-2000. I have no axe to grind with the BT99, I have a really nice Pigeon Leo's Special (it stays in the safe as I do not shoot it well), but I also have a TM-1. For me, and most I have heard make comment, the TM-1 is a much smoother swinging gun, a gun I feel much more confident with. And I know this sounds bad but how many TM-1 owners long for a BT-99? With a TM-1 you should be able to recover all the money should you decide to sell.

I went through the various stages of always wanting another gun. That itch never goes away. I had it when I first started shooting trap 39yrs ago and it continues today. Buy the gun you desire most and learn to shoot it well. By shooting well most of that itch subsides but be forewarned, it will return.

Hope this helps more than cofuses, Marc

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

1 of the guys at the club shoots a Franchi2005 single trap he shoots 2 boxes per night 3-4 days a week. He also is in the top ten high shooters of the winter and summer leagues.( They also said he could shoot a broomstick if it would chamber a shell)

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks for advice
    Just wanted to clarify,my friend doesn't like the Franchi,he's had nothing but praise for my Browning,especially reassurung me that the price I got it for,I'd never lose money if I were to sell it.But,lol,as with all sports I get into,I collect and never let go.
    Trying to be patient,figure I should wait until I knock down my first 25 straight before I reward myself with another gun.Shooting 4-5 months ,haven't quite got there,but getting closer,one bird at a time.

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well 4-5 months as long as your staying consistant or improveing is great I was at it for 8 months and all of a sudden it all clicked and I shot 97out of 100 Keep with it self satisfaction will come.

Jerry

9. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks
    Been told since I started late Sept.,,and shooting the winter months when able weather wise,here in the N.E.,,Things should start clicking for me when it warms up.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If you shoot the same gun long enough, you will get a 25 straight with a little bit of luck and skill. It seems like I shot a million 24's before I ever got a 25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
franchi forum

franchi forums

franchi schooters
franchi sl for trap shooting

franchi trap

franchi trap shott