1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bullfrog1, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullfrog1

Bullfrog1 TS Member

May 17, 2011
    I have been thinking about buying a Franchi 12 ga over and under. I would like to use it as a all around gun. Has any one used this brand . . Thanks for your input.
  2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Blackshear, Georgia
    I have had a couple of O/U's and can only speak highly of them. I have never had trouble with either of them however I have heard several say that they are hard to get parts for. At one time I was a Benelli dealer and spoke to several Reps and that told me that was BS as parts were avail at factory(only). Jackie B.
  3. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Feb 8, 2012
    I have 4 semi-auto's and 1 o/u and they are the best buy on the market. Very well made guns and you can get parts.
  4. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I have their top-line O/U in 28gauge and am as pleased as punch. A light, versitle field and skeet gun which I do now and then. It's one of my 'go to' guns for grouse hunting...

A good friend of mine shoots only Franchi shotguns. He has a 12 gauge auto that he's modified for trap, and an O/U that he us for skeet. He's a deadly shot with both and works them hard. The O/U had a small problem with the safety when he first got it, but that was taken care of by the factory and has been flawless since. The auto just keeps going 'BANG' on the trap field for 7000+ every year without a problem. The gun is way overdue for a full going over. My buddy takes good care of his Franchis, but I don't think he's ever changed a spring or any parts on that auto. It's going to fail someday just from use -- when, I had thought it was overdue for a long time. Guess Franchi builds them pretty well, and for a good price to boot....
  5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    ok, it is not all roses. Most of the early Franchi single and o/u's had issues with wood cracking, eapecially the forearms, sometimes the stocks. Another item was the latching system in the forearm was made up out of very cheap metal and it broke, often breaking the forearm in the process. The best fix was to have the latch and latch plate replaced with a custom made replacement that would no longer break and would protect your forearm wood.

That said, the function of the firearm was great, they pointed well and broke targets hard. Most had lots of constriction with single barrels in the .041" range.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.