1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fracture in Neck of XT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ESMDHokie, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I take my gun out of its case yesterday evening and I lay eyes on something that ruins my whole day. All around the neck of the gun, just behind the trigger and barrel selector, is a fracture. It's more than just cosmetic too. With collegiate nationals 12 days away I have decided against getting a patch job done, and need to call Browning once they open this morning. I hate having my whole year wasted and having to go back to my hunting gun (beretta extrema), but having the gun fixed and be the way it should be needs to be done. What should I do? How much luck will I have with Browning Service Dept?

-Phil

2. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Phil,
    Wow that bites. I doubt if you will get a new stock or yours repaired in less than 12 days from Browning. Where are you going to school? Are there any stock fitters or really good gunsmiths in your area. That would be your best bet. Stay local. How much custom work has been done to your gun. If it is pretty much stock you might be able to borrow an XT for Nationals. XTs are pretty common and if you have a relationship with a dealer they might let us use a gun.

3. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Duct Tape? Just kidding sorry couldn't help myself. I would forget Browning and find a stocksmith willing to do a rush job on a repair so I could shoot my season with the gun I want. It's amazing what a good stocksmith can do to repair wood. There are several good ones on this forum, I'll bet one steps up and offers to help you. Good luck and hang in there this is just another thing you have to get past to become a champion.

4. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I go to Virginia Tech. Am Looking to put in a call when I can at 11 to the browning service dept., then Pylinski Arms 3 hrs away.

5. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Phil,

If you do not have any luck with Browning give me a call here at the shop
    330-456-6070. We have repaired stocks that have had the entire broke off and the owners are still shooting them two years later. No promises but I am sure the crew here can fix you up in plenty of time for your first shoot.

Dennis DeVault

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There are many fine folks on this site who are eager to put your gun back on the line. Hook up with Tron or Dennis. :^)

7. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Phil - As the Coach said, there are a lot of people on this site who could help you. Recommend you post model, serial, and year of your Browning. Perhaps someone has a sock they could loan or sell you to fit your gun. Billy

8. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

It's a Citori XT Trap Gold with the adjustable comb, butt pad, and gracoil recoil reducer (all work done by Browning before market); however the fracture is nowhere near any of these features.

Serial: xxxxxMR131, means built in '07, Bought new in August '08.

After talking to their service department, if I get a temporary fix at one of their authorized smiths I can still send it in and after they inspect it and should be able to get the real fix for it later.
    I may do that if I can get a hold of one of the 2 authorized smiths east in the state of Va. when I drive home in that direction this weekend.

Thanks for the advice and offers of assistance.

Phil

9. 3357

3357 Member

Let Mr. Devault help you.

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If your stuck and want to drive to NJ I'll fix it same day you'll need to be up here about 4 hours.

I would first press browning after all it is a new gun and they may like some positive feedback here on TS.com.

Joe

11. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I have two good things to say:

1. A great amount of thank yous to Bob Moates Sport Shop, a browning authorized service center in Charlotte Court House, Virginia for getting my gun back to me in time for nationals. (leaving in 2 days, only took 5 work days).

2. Another great heap of thank yous to Tim McCoy, member of the Dublin Clays range in Dublin, Va for lending me his XT for the duration of the tournament.

I'm psyched and eager to compete and have fun.
    -Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.