1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS at distance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Curious how the following compare in terms of remaining speed and energy at 20 yds:

1 1/8oz #8s starting @ 1145 fps

1 1/8oz #8s starting @ 1100 fps

1oz 8.5s starting at 1200 fps

Also, i believe there is a computer program out there that this information can easily be gleaned from. Does anyone know the name of it, I believe it may be available from Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading (Neil, you probably have this program LOL).....

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Skeet_man,

1 1/8oz #8s starting @ 1145 fps, on an individual pellet basis, has a speed of 812 fps and an energy of 1.57 ft-lb.

1 1/8oz #8s starting @ 1100 fps, on an individual pellet basis, has a speed of 790 fps and an energy of 1.49 ft-lb. (estimated as half-way between 1075 and 1125)

1oz 8.5s starting at 1200 fps, on an individual pellet basis, has a speed of 823 fps and an energy of 1.36 ft-lb.

That's for a full choke. With the skeet choke you may be using it's less but the general relationship holds. For example, for that last 1 0z. load of 8 1/2's, the speed at 20 yards drops to 791 from 823, and energy drops from 1.35 ft-lb. to 1.25 which is still about twice what you need, they say.

The program is "Shotshell Ballistics for Windows" by ED Lowry, Head of Ballistics for WW for decades.

Neil

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

This was interesting abt OV, also, I think:

http://www.jonathan-spencer.co.uk/Reference/Guns/Shotgun/Ammo/Shotsize5.htm

Same if not very similar programs with a fairly straightforward Calc 2 regressive function.

Bob

4. skeet_man

Neil- Perfect, exactly what I needed, thanks a bunch!

5. skeet_man

Found it at precisionreloading.com: http://www.precisionreloading.com/computersoftware.htm

As an aside, does anyone know if this is vista compatible? I imagine it is, but its kinda pricey, and they don't allow returns on computer software...

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

great!

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.