1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox trappers: Need help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cueguy2, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Any old fox trappers out there? I need some advice. I have a flock of free range chickens and a local fox has discovered them. One a day now. The chickens roam on 5 acres and some of it is covered in high weeds. Any advice on types of live traps? Leg traps are out, my dogs will find them too. Once in the cage, the wily fox will meet it's maker. It is getting them in dawn or dusk conditions, not at night.
    Thanks, Nubs Wagner

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I trapped fox as a teenager and they are very leery and crafy. It might be a little tough to catch one in a live trap unless you use one of those live bait boxes. Even then, it might be difficult.

Good luck.

-Gary

3. mike hensley

mike hensley TS Member

try some cracklins (pork skins) in a live trap in this situation you will catch the fox.
    Good Luck

Mike

4. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Make or buy a live trap that has a cage built in the back for live bait. A rooster works best. The rooster will cock a doodle doo and bring the ole fox right in. Stack logs or rocks all around the trap so the entrance is the only avenue to the rooster. The rooster will be a little frazzled when you get there since the fox has been trying to eat through the wire to have a meal. Works on all sorts of critters.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

had a guy show me what squirrelhunter said It worked twice then I couldnt catch the damn rooster the third time. I tried it with a rabbit {was a pet} and it worked but the rabbit had a heart attack. rick

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There are a number of things you can do. One is to call in a local trapper and let him take them out. Two get a game caller and call them in and shoot them. Get 3 or 4 young cats and put them under a bushel basket. They will howl and fight that will have the fox running in. Shoot the first fox in the spin and it will yell out and if there are any other fox around they will run in to see what is going on. Shoot them dead and then finish off the first fox. Get some hens and build a pen and put leg traps all around the outside of the pen. The fox running around the pen will step into one. Or just place yourself around the pen and start shooting the fox. Just remember something. They are smart and they will remember what they see and learn from it. I once had a fox follow me as I set 12 traps. That SOB flipped 10 out of the 12. I never got him as far as I know. He was a real pain. Hide well and do not put the game caller speaker next to you. NOT EVER. I bought another cord and put the speaker 50 feet infront of me. The fox would watch the area of the speaker and not where I was. Put the speaker up wind. I once did that and had a fox jump on the speaker. I took him not longer then 20 sec to come in. I shot and got the fox and was scared that I also got the speaker. I found out that I didn't after looking it over.

7. tomlsoe

tomlsoe Member

I have trapped fox for many years.To catch an adult fox in a live trap is nearly impossible. Unless you are a very skilled trapper. There are rubber jawed foothold traps that won't damage the fox. However a properly set properly adjusted steel trap will not damage the fox either. But after you catch it you have to then figure out what you are going to do with it. A hog catcher works best. Get the foxes front legs off of the ground with the hog catcher around his neck and it will pass out long enough for you to get the trap off and into a cage or sack. then you can release him to kill someone elses range chickens. Tom

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Listen to Tom. He knows a little about Foxes. Now if you want a heckuva deal on rubber jawed Victor Fox traps I have around a dozen size 1 1/2 new ones still in the box. $15 each plus shipping. You never have enough of those around for those really pesky Foxes.

Whatever you do don't listen to any suggestion from auctioneer. He doesn't even realize you're not supposed to wear your girlfriends perfume while on the trapline!!

9. Damifino

Damifino Member

If you decide to trap the foxes; include a cotton patch soaked in anise oil for a scent lure. I don't think it is legal to use it for fur trapping but I suspect you can use whatever you want for varmints.

If it were me I would pay a neighbor-kid $10-$20 per foxtail. He will have a great time hunting them and you'll spend a whole lot less effort and $$ than doing it yourself. When I was a kid the local farmers paid us for woodchuck tails and crow feet. We became very ingenious on how to efficiently collect them.

10. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

I have never done this, but was told it works like a charm on foxes, coyotes, etc. Get a big piece of PVC pipe (with a fox probably doesn't have to be as big as with a coyote)Dig a pretty deep hole, deep enough that a coyote or fox can't jump out of it. Make sure the pipe is the same length as the hole. Place the pipe in the hole and fill in around it, then place some bait (dead chicken, or raw meat or whatever the critter likes) in the bottom of the hole, he will go in to get it but will not be able to climb out because the PVC will not let him get a grip. Then go the next morning and shoot him and the problem is solved. Suppossed to work, but again I have never personally used it.

Best Regards,
    Brent Huber

11. trap906

trap906 Member

you won't make a fox go into a live trap or a bucket or anything else he's not familiar with such as his den. the only way is with a foothold or possibly a snare. just make a regular set with urine and use 2 traps and a steppin stick. keep the dogs penned up you should get the fox in 3 days. if you don't get him in 3, your doing something wrong with your set, ie, scent, sight, trap bedding.. good luck from a trapper in Arkansas

12. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Had the same problem. But after regularly target shooting with a 22, and letting the dog out at dusk and dawn, I've had no problems, this week. The dog wanders around the chicken area, laying scent, and the 50+ rounds of 22 hitting a metal plate, again, close to the chickens, twice a day, are hopefully teaching the fox that there's no fun anymore, at least none that's easy.
    Good luck, John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.