1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox hunters, need help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cueguy2, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I need to send some chicken eating fox to their eternal reward. What kind of scent would you recommend and how to apply for best results? I have my .22 zeroed in and ready to go. Thanks. Nubs Wagner

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

If male,,,,female estrus.

3. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Don't know. I was just wondering how fox hunters lure them in regardless of sex. Chickens at $14 ea is getting expensive. There has to be some fox hunters out there????? Nubs Wagner

4. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Used to do this with coyotes but can do with fox also. Go to your local grocer and tell him to save you the outdated frozen chicken and have him call you. Put it out where you can get a good shot. Worked well with coyotes.

5. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Depends an where they're coming from, and where they're going to, and if you're dealing with a single fox, or a fox and a vixen. I've found that a pair split up and come in from two directions, independently. Like trap, take the target that is presented. I like the idea of laying out a carcass, but for me that just had the barn cats getting to it first and hiding it from my sight. After I saw a fox pair up with an owl, the owl getting it first, tearing off some meat, and then with the fox approaching, fly it off to another field, and that's where the fox had its meal before the owl took it off for good, I decided that there's just so much you can do to control a very frustrating problem.
    Got it solved by keeping a .22 rifle with 18 rounds, and my 391 choked full with #1 shot, and parked myself outside at dusk every day. Got the vixen with the shotgun one night, and 10 days later, got the red fox with 10 rounds of .22, at 11:15am. There's been no problem since, but the rifle is still at the door. Good luck.

6. jrton80

jrton80 Member

I used to Fox hunt many years ago illegally. But here is our process. We used to have a Fox call that was the recording of a chicken being attacked in a hen house by a fox or we also had luck with a tape of a young fox caught in a leg hold trap. Now we hunted at night and the darker the better. We used what is called a wheat light on our heads with a red filter mounted to a headband. A wheat light was a light that attached by a wire to a battery pack on our side. We used 3" nitro mag shells with #2 shot. What made this illegal for us was that we hunted from the road. We would get out of the car, start playing the tape and soon we would hear the fox crashing through the corn rows. Once the red light hits a fox's eyes at night, they light up like a stop sign in the distance. You can't hold the light on them very long or they spook so go on past them while raising your gun. Once you come back by them and get a sight on them, pull the trigger. With these shells, we very sledom wounded one. Most of the time they fall in their tracks. Good luck! jrton80

7. jrton80

jrton80 Member

Gotta get that release mouse patented....(LOL) jrton80

8. J. Fox

J. Fox TS Member

cueguy2

Red or Gray?? Which part of the country? You can call in a Gray with a recording early evening just after dark. They make a recording of a young rabbit that works the best in the eastern US. The Red will not come in close enough to get a shot at. For the Red you will need a Fox trapper not a Fox hunter. A Fox hunter will not kill a Red fox. Only runs them with dogs. Hope this helps. jake513

9. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Sounds to me like you have the best bait/lure you could ask for. Tie a string to one of your chickens legs and then sit in the baushes and wait!

DB3006

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

There's some guy on here from Oregon who hunts varmints, but he's mostly full of crap...don't believe a word he says. Remember, I warned you...

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It likes chickens. Thats easy. take one or two chickens and put them in a cage outside the pen and wait. That fox will think it has an easy meal and come in. You will have but one really good shot. I would take the 22 and put it away and use a shotgun. That way you don't have to take all the time in aiming but just poin t and shoot.

12. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Be careful out there!

[​IMG]

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would start by simply asking the animal to please stop doing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.