1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fox doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Went to a gun show today

Looking at most Fox guns, the old ones, they are all stocked too low but it seems that the Savage Utica NY guns have modern stocks. Is this generally true and when roughly were those guns made?

It also looks like the Savage made bbls all have ripples in them vs a nice smooth tube in good barrels. I suspect this is not an issue as they are drilled and very smooth inside

I would love a 20 Ga for upland but have resisted buying any 16's

Any thoughts on these guns greatly appreciated.

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

The AH Fox gun Company started in 1907, it was taken over by Savage about 1930.They cataloged Fox guns until 1942, with the last guns shipped about 1946. You will find early Savage marked guns with "Philadelphia" features, on Sterlingworth's that would be better wood fit a capped pistol grip, a slender forend and the top lever is profiled sleeker.

As the parts from Philadelphia were used up Savage made changes to keep the price down. The barrel striking is not done as well, but it will not affect how the guns shoot. The forend on "Utica" Strelingworth's was not shaped as much and will be flat at the front. The pistol grip will be flat with no cap. Also the top levers will have a larger more rounded thumb piece. The 16 gauge and 20 gauge guns were made on a smaller frame and are a joy to carry.

My pheasant gun is a 20 gauge with 28" barrels Savage made, it tips the scale at 6 lb 1oz. And you are right about the stock dimensions, Savage guns are stocked higher. There is a website for Fox guns www.foxcollectors.com I posted a link to it.
    All that said I do have an Early 16 gauge "A" Grade with the late style engraving 28" barrels IC/MOD for sale if you are interested. Just e-mail me drop the xx from the e-mail address.
    Scott

3. GJT

GJT TS Member

If you want to see an outstanding FoX double go to Guns America and look at the one Ryszard Kanar is selling. It appears to be choked cyl/skt (perfect for a pointer dog) and it is absolutely perfect--I've seen it.