1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Four barrel or tubes, which is better investment?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oleww, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleww

oleww Member

Looking at a K32 4 Barrel set for sale. A Beretta 682 with Briley tubes can be had for cheaper. Which is the better deal? Seams like a 4 barrel is better if you are only shooting skeet...

And no thanks in advandce for the BS skeeter comments.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

K32 is a lot better gun- in my opinion- depending on condition

tubes are shot by more serious skeet shooters - probably 99 percent

give us some details- age- condition and price

Gene

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

if you want to get serious about skeet, get a gun with subgauge tubes (if you look around, i'll bet you can find a k32 with tubes for the same or less than the 4 barrel you found). If you just want to play w/ the guys at the club, either will be fine. Resale on the 4 barrels is only getting worse by the year, as more and more people discover the virtues of the tube set, in addition to the fact that all four barrel sets will be 26" or 28", which are also exponentially loosing value as the years go by.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Hard to give away 26" or 28" 4-barrel sets for skeet shooting. Virtually everyone shoots at least 30" barrels and matched weight tubes. The disparate feel and looks of the 12 ga barrels compared to the 410 barrels mitigate against them.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nearly everyone doesnt shoot a 30 inch gun

there are still more 28 inch skeet guns sold than any other length

in the past 10 years -90 percent of skeet guns were 28 inch

In my opinion- 95 percent of the shooters would shoot a 28 inch gun better than a 30 inch gun any day

some guys go with what the "trend" is by some top shooter they read about-- those are the guys that know little about shooting and you can identify them easily- their mouth is always going

One nice advantage of a barrel set- it wears 4 times as long as one barrel--

another advantage of a barrel set is that it take about 10 seconds to switch barrels and not 10 mins

a third avantage- you arent going to break extractors or 20 gauge chambers like you do in a tube set

a final advantage-- your 12 gauge is going to swing just like the other three-- you dont need weights or a "heavy barrel"

regards from Iowa

6. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

the people that coach say:

1. you have to have confidence in your gun

2. the gun needs to fit you

3. length of barrel does not matter

ernie

7. claybrdr

Always knew you were full of crap, Gene.

Regards from Virginia.

8. dshot

dshot Member

claybrdr, if you would, get off the computer and come down to Brushy Mt.on 10-18 and shoot in the G.Dawson shoot with us. It would be great to see you.
    David St.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The down side with a four barrel set is four barrels and extractors to clean.

28" is not a problem in skeet. I tried shooting 26' but to whippy.

I see a number of 26" guns at skeet clubs for sale, but they don't sell well. Usually sold to a new shooter.

If I was buying new, I would go with 30" 12 gauge and have it tubed.

As stated, most registered 4-gun shooters have tube sets.

10. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

I've had both 4 bbl. sets and Tube Sets. It seems to me just to be a personal preference. I had an Beretta 682 Skeet w/28 in. barrel tube set with Briley tubes, and a Browning XT w/30 briley tube set. I simply didn't like the weight of the tube guns on the barrel end. I've had three barrel sets and still have 2 of em. K32 muchen grade w/28 barrels and a Browning grade 6 w/26 in. barrels. My highest averages with the barrel set has been 24.88 thru 500 target leagues and have shot 24.61 and 24.50 the last 2 yrs. with the barrel sets. I shoot the Beretta tube set good for a little while then my averages started going down so I switched back to the barrel sets. And yes I shoot both barrel sets during the leagues, seems kinda funny I shot the same avg. with both guns. didn't shoot either one better than the other. If I was going to shoot the tube guns I'd want a carrier barrel set up so the weight stays same as 12 ga. barrels. As far as cost, no wonder more people shoot tube guns. 2 grand gets you 3 gauges. each set of barrels would cost u 2 grand or better depending on brand of gun. just my thoughts and 1 dollar will buy u a coke. keith

11. claybrdr

Hey, Curwood! How's the professional gigolo business going? Say hello to Little Berry for me.

I haven't been to Brushy since Ed Layne sold it. I liked it when it was Layne Mountain.

12. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

my 2 cents worth. i have a k 32 with kolor sub ga tubes. 28 in. bbls. only thing that i can't get used to is the weight. appx. 10 lbs. i'm a thin older man {64} and shoot skeet, trap. have a 32in. top single bbl for this gun.when i shoot a 4 ga.skeet event the weight of gun does become a determent to my score. the gun with only the 12 ga. bbl. feels just right . i have used a friends k 32 4 bbl set and it seems to work great for me. as far as value; shooting a gun with the best return if and when i sell is the least of my abjectives. if the gun is to heavy as in my case the little voice in my head starts saying , beautiful gun but sell it and get one that won''t. ware me out. if i could i would sell my gun and get a 4 bbl set. al dulude

13. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Gene is 100% correct. My best scores were with a Beretta 682 tube set. "Friends" convinced me that 30" was the way to go. I am sure 30" may work for some. Oh well. 4 Barrel sets are nice, but a tube set puts all gauges on an equal footing as your gun balance is all important. Regards, Ed

14. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

I'm curious, how many of you tube setters ever shot a 4 barrel set before buying tube set? k

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

oleww, here is how I see it. First off a 4 barrel set is more expensive to start with. All the older sets made have fixed chokes, so you will not be able to shoot any sporting clays with one. Do not buy a 26 inch gun, you will never sell it. Most tube sets have chokes to change. Their weight is farther forward thus keeping the gun swing more and harder to stop, a big plus. So big in fact that most skeet shooters use them now. You can get longer 30 barrels with tube sets. Even the best 4 barrel set guns have too little weight (forward) on the 410 barrels, even though they weigh the same on scale. Most of weight in the 410 is in the reciever and not out at the end of barrel, making it a bit to whippy. Not a good thing in the 410.Tube sets are all exactly weight in the same place. If you buy either the 4 barrel set 28 inch only, or the tube set used both will hold there resale price about the same, if both are good guns to start with. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

no need for me, the only 4 gauge gun i've ever owned is a kolar (on my 2nd now), and they don't make barrel sets, not to mention I shoot 30" and there is no such thing as a production 30" four barrel set.

17. ink ball

ink ball Member

I've had both...I prefer barrel sets. Gene listed several good reasons for prefering barrels sets. Tube sets do have the advantage of being less expensive. If you like forward weight on a gun, tubes will certainly do that for you. Personally, I like a balanced gun. The only tube sets I would consider would be a carrier barrel so that the balance is close to neutral.

When I started shooting skeet, I had 26" barrels, and shot them well. I have since had 28" guns, 30" guns and now have 32" guns. They all worked just fine. Bottom line...I don't think barrel length matters nearly as much as balance. My current skeet gun is a 32" Caesar Guerini and the balance on this gun is very neurtral. Some brands, however, feel front heavy to me with 32" barrels.

To me...it would be a simple choice...buy the K32 and enjoy it for the rest of your life, then pass it down to your heirs.

18. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I had a 4 barrel Browning set in the 60's. The extra barrels were made by Simmons. The weight and balance was the same in all 4 barrels. I now have a 4 barrel Superposed set with all 4 Browning barrels all having the same weight and balance. There is absolutely no advantage to owning a tubed set other than longer barrels and changable chokes if one desires. There is certainly less effort in changing barrels. Less mechanical problems also.

Most folks like the tube sets as they are much lower in cost. After they own a tube set they make all kinds of excuses why they don't want a 4 barrel set to justify their purchase.

Someone mentioned that you had to clean four barrels on the 4 barrel set, well duh. One doesn't need to clean the tubes??

Bottom line is....If you like the 4 barrel set and can afford it, get it. If not buy the tubed set. Either one will go a long way in making you happy.

19. dshot

dshot Member

claybrdr, business is great, I will tell LT you asked about, Ed not doing well at all, he's in a nursing home. Come down and shoot sometime,we kept the king off you.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This is just my opinion. I have a friend that has two four barrel sets a Remington 3200 and a Winchester diamond grade 101. Before I had a gun that would shoot multi gauge I used his 101.

I bought a Browning GTI with a full set of briley tubes . Every gun I have mentioned is 28". I shot both extensively and I would prefer the 4 barrel set.

With my tubed gun I shoot fairly consistent scores in 20 & 28 410 is another story and has nothing to due with tubes or barrels. My problem with tubes is when I go to the 12 gauge unless I shoot a lot of 12 I find it is like shooting someone else's gun it feels totally different and almost foreign.

Not to mention when ever you shoot 12 you have to clean the gun before you can put sub-gauge tubes in the gun. A royal pain in the butt as I only shoot skeet in club functions. We have a lot of skeet shoots that are multiple gauge shoots.
    Like a score combined of 12 & 410 score or 12 & 28. The club also has combo shoots so many skeet and so many trap.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.